RadioShack closing 700 stores. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RadioShack closing 700 stores.

Smokey
03-29-2006, 06:27 PM
RadioShack revealed last month it would be closing between 400 and 700 company-owned stores after it saw fourth-quarter net income drop 62 percent compared with the previous year.

The closures are part of a turnaround plan that includes getting out of its slow-moving, old-line cables and antennas business to open more room for technology such as i-Pods and Bluetooth. "We can't keep that stuff on the shelves," said Jessica Study, spokeswoman for the company. "This is a key initiative to divest ourselves of underperforming stores and inventory."

The old-line products -- cables, connectors, antenna -- will still be available online, she said.

A nationwide Ultimate Clearance Event unrelated to the store closures kicks off April 2 to help clear out the staid merchandise, Study said. Separate going-out-of-business sales at the closing stores will start in May and the stores should by empty by Aug. 1.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-radio-shack-closing-5-stores-/2006/03/28/1514861.htm

http://www.svei.com/images/radioshack_ext.jpg

Woochifer
03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
That's a bummer. In a lot of small towns, Radio Shack is the only store that has any decent selection of electronics items. I'd be curious as to where these store closures will occur, because Radio Shack can be a lifeline for people living in rural areas.

Also sad to see that they're now trying to move more into the higher margin items like iPods and Bluetooth accessories. Frankly, the main reason I go to Radio Shack is to buy electronics parts, batteries, and connectors. I like that the stores are small, and I can just go in, find what I need, and go home. Sort of like a 7-11 for gearheads. For stuff like iPods or Bluetooth accessories, Radio Shack is not the place I think of.

Places like Best Buy and Circuit City have their accessories scattered all over the store, and very often they don't even carry the types of connectors that I'm looking for. Would be sad to see Radio Shack stores completely abandon that market, because I like the convenience of having all of those items nearby and readily available.

Smokey
03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
I just hope Radioshack don’t follow the same trend of store closing/ relocation as Walmart or Kmart. In larger cities, they closed most of inner city stores and moved/expand to suburbs and more wealthy area of the city.

I already know one store will be closing two blocks from me :sad:

shokhead
03-30-2006, 07:18 AM
RS has got so many stores that are almost next to each other most closings shouldnt be a hugh problem.

L.J.
03-30-2006, 07:37 AM
RS has got so many stores that are almost next to each other most closings shouldnt be a hugh problem.

Yeah I got at least 5 stores within 10 miles from me.

GMichael
03-30-2006, 07:45 AM
But if they stop stocking cables & conectors, I won't have a reason to visit any of the ones still open.

L.J.
03-30-2006, 07:54 AM
But if they stop stocking cables & conectors, I won't have a reason to visit any of the ones still open.

You'll have to plan ahead and order on-line :yikes:

GMichael
03-30-2006, 08:37 AM
You'll have to plan ahead and order on-line :yikes:

Thank G.d for PartsExpress.

JohnMichael
03-30-2006, 01:10 PM
In my small city we have two stores and one of them will be closed. As a boy I loved to look at their catalogs and we would buy our walkie talkies for Boy Scouts and camping at the local Radio Shack. It's too bad but they have not had anything I have wanted for many years.

Smokey
03-30-2006, 06:05 PM
As a boy I loved to look at their catalogs and we would buy our walkie talkies for Boy Scouts and camping at the local Radio Shack.

Ohh yes, the good old days........

http://www.siliconholler.com/djuggler/pics/radioshack.jpg

teledynepost
03-31-2006, 01:07 AM
Frankly, the main reason I go to Radio Shack is to buy electronics parts, batteries, and connectors.

Same for me.

davidhiggins
04-04-2006, 08:24 AM
I worked many years for Radio Shack as salesman and store manager when i first came to the Shack you could find anything that dealt with electronics after Tandy Corp took over every thing changed less inventory and more stores were opened and the slow declined started and now you see 700 stores closing at one time Radio Shack had a catalog which had appox 100 pages with all types of electronic parts no more it is all history

markw
04-04-2006, 08:40 AM
I worked many years for Radio Shack as salesman and store manager when i first came to the Shack you could find anything that dealt with electronics after Tandy Corp took over every thing changed less inventory and more stores were opened and the slow declined started and now you see 700 stores closing at one time Radio Shack had a catalog which had appox 100 pages with all types of electronic parts no more it is all historyI managed one of their audio only concessions in Bambnerger's (Macy's) at that time. There were very few Radio Shack stores then (generally bundled wit ha Tandy Leather outlet) but they did have a wide selection of the parts and geegaws that hobbiests needed, either in stock or readily available for shipment. Over the next few years they aggresively started putting stores in every strip mall in the country and apparantly set their sights on Lafayette Electronocs.. They quickly closed the concession stores and, by the mid 70's Lafayette was on the ropes and by the late 70's was gone, IIRC.

By the eatly 80's, RatShack was concentrated purely on sales gains ovethe previous year and proceeded to burn out many managers. It became cut-throat and went from a pretty decent job in the late 70's wher you could treat the customer right to a stressful nightmare by the late early 90's where they would promise anything to get a sale. Over time theiequality of help diminished. Where they once welcomed kids who knew their stuff and could actually answer questions and help customers, they wanted more of a person who would force merchandise in their hands and push them towards the cash register.

I had friends and acquaintences that worked for the Shak from the late 60's, when I worked for Tandy, and a few times in the I was going to school and worked at the Shak in the late 70's, early 80's and again in the late 90's to hide from a divorce. I won't do it again. It ain't no fun anymore.

It was like watching a long, slow train wreck where some of your friends were on board.

als
04-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Without getting into the corporate reasons why, what if I need a cable or two NOW? I used to be (and, hopefully will still be able to!) just run down and pick up some. Going to Best buy, et al; is more expensive and time consuming. And those "monster" prices..."

Just for the record, I like RS interconnects... the gold ones. Nice construction, heavy plating, great insulation and heavy AWG, plus that death-grip barrel! (No need to worry about the cable coming loose in most any situation).

I'll give my store a call.

Regards,

als.

markw
04-04-2006, 12:36 PM
These things have become coommodities over the past 20 years or so. I get a LOT of my stuff at Home Depot.

ToddL
04-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Radio Shack closed up here about 6 months ago. Circuit City bought them out and renamed them The Source, same old junk with the odd wothwhile piece. maybe they're going that way

luvs2jam60
04-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah, it is a shame. I could always count on RS if I needed a splicer or an adapter for any cable and get it asap and not have to worry about shipping and all that stuff. However, the good news is that it seems that they're discounting a lot of their cables at their stores. I recently picked up a 6' optical toslink cable for $4, regularly $30+.

emorphien
04-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Well damn now where will I get my leds and switches? Not like they ever had enough in stock or knew what I was asking.

We have two about a mile and a half from each other here, I hope the one in the mall goes away.

Modernaire
04-06-2006, 09:34 PM
In Los Angeles hit Ametron, they have some very serious electronics stock. And if you go to the lower section towards the back you might find a classic NAD and audiophile speakers that they're willing to unload. The RS's are just not good. Over priced, annoying help, cheap audio...just a bigger RiteAid electronic section but with bad saleskids.

emorphien
04-07-2006, 03:51 AM
In Los Angeles hit Ametron, they have some very serious electronics stock. And if you go to the lower section towards the back you might find a classic NAD and audiophile speakers that they're willing to unload. The RS's are just not good. Over priced, annoying help, cheap audio...just a bigger RiteAid electronic section but with bad saleskids.
You almost make me want to visit LA some day!

ThunderousBass
04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
I have one on the corner of my block, and it's very handy. There's another three blocks away, and a CC and BB, too. I have a bad feeling "our" store will close. Got some flat MonsterCable for about the lowest Internet price recently. The assistant manager at the store is very good, actually. Gave me help on a non-RS cellphone.

This is a company that won't exist in five to seven years. Bookmark this thread.

Modernaire
04-08-2006, 04:37 PM
You almost make me want to visit LA some day!

Here's their site! http://www.ametron.com/

Im headed out there right now for an emergency audio need! I got an hour! Wooohoo! :cornut:

nightflier
04-12-2006, 11:10 AM
RS closing down is a sign of the times. And if you think that you'll find your parts at BB or CC, you can count on these stores closing down too, just like GG did. The ones that don't close will change their product lines to plastic toys and cell phones (not that it did RS any good) and stock only the big selling items like flat screen TVs and all-in-one sound systems. I read somewhere that the hottest selling type of speaker today is that ridiculous sound bar that's supposed to give you surround sound from a single unit sitting on top of your TV; I think Yamaha, Infinity, & Polk sell these.

The real trend I notice is that there are fewer and fewer DIY people out there and so parts just sit on the shelves. Even bargain basement warehouses like Fry's & Home Depot are stocking less parts and more "complete kits." People want (or rather are told to want) things that snap together w/o any effort. If it should require labor beyond an hour to assemble or hook up, they are encouraged to call a service guy. After all, that's good business, right? Almost everyone I know who has a surround sound setup paid someone (or multiple contractors) to set everything up. They even have their universal remotes programmed for them. The reasoning is that it costs them less to work an extra hour at their jobs than to install their own cable box at home (no joke).

I suppose that the upside to this is that those of us who are DIY'ers will be a lot more popular in the near future, that is, as long as we can still get those parts in record time. I work in computers, and I've had to have parts rushed to me FedEx & UPS to get projects done in time. Frankly that's a crap-shoot with arrival times; on several occasions I've had to order two identical parts from two different vendors to guarantee on-time delivery. RS was always there when I needed something right away and the closing of these stores and stores like them is a big problem. Buying everything online should not become the only solution. If Fry's closes down too, I'll be in a jam.

Glen B
04-24-2006, 09:08 AM
No surprise they're doing badly. When I visit a Radio Shack store looking for an item listed on their online catalog, at least 50% of the time they don't have the item in stock and I walk away empty handed. And I don't necessarily mean hobbyist parts. The other day I needed some CD-Rs. The store did not have any. The sales guy was trying to get me to buy CD-RWs which I did not want. How can they expect to stay in business like that ?

swwdts
04-24-2006, 09:52 PM
I went into my local RS & asked for a Crimp on Banana Plug & he took me to their TOY section & then their phone section.I said umm,it is for speaker wire & the look on his face was like he was thinking what the? As far, as store closings.I hope this one stays open.He might have been new there.I guess?

Defshep
04-25-2006, 12:46 AM
One day, all we'll have left is Wal-Mart!

superpanavision70mm
04-25-2006, 01:45 AM
You mean banana plugs are not toys? In my opinion ...GOOD RIDDANCE this has been a long time coming and RadioShack never sold anything appealing to me. I always wondered how a store like that could stay in business for so long.

swwdts
04-25-2006, 08:22 AM
It has & is open mainly due to contractor sales of audio & video.Also,others like me who need to repair old audio radios &.......RS has had MOST of the parts I have needed for over 30 years.I have learned to call them w/ the item number ahead of time to see if they have it in stock though. Instead of driving there & wasting $4.00 worth of gas & then they not have or carry it.

nightflier
04-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Just wondering, aside from Parts Express, where else are people shopping for electronic parts online? Any recommendations? How is shipping? Any websites to avoid?

Glen B
04-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Just wondering, aside from Parts Express, where else are people shopping for electronic parts online? Any recommendations?

DigiKey:
http://www.digikey.com/

Parts Connexion:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/

Welborne Labs:
http://www.welbornelabs.com/

Bondmanp
04-26-2006, 07:26 AM
To clarify an earlier post, Lafayette Radio was acquired by Circuit City in the late 1970's or early 1980s. They continued to operate under the Lafayette name until the mid-1980s. I worked briefly at the 45th Street Lafayette store in NYC in the early 1980s.