Soundtracks - whats good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Soundtracks - whats good?

daviethek
03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
I am listening to the soundtrack for " Good Night and Good Luck" with Dianne Reeves, a good Jazz singer. Awesome. She sounds like a young Sarah Vaughn.

I'm interested in what you guys might think have been worthwhile soundtrack CD's for classical, jazz and maybe even new age.

Bernd
03-30-2006, 06:57 AM
I am listening to the soundtrack for " Good Night and Good Luck" with Dianne Reeves, a good Jazz singer. Awesome. She sounds like a young Sarah Vaughn.

I'm interested in what you guys might think have been worthwhile soundtrack CD's for classical, jazz and maybe even new age.

Hi daviethek,

In your requested style I can recommend : "In the Heat of the Night."

Also you might want to try "Twin Peaks".

Peace

Bernd:16:

teledynepost
03-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Angelo Badalamenti does a lot of great music for David Lynch films that you might like; see soundtrack for Mulholland Drive.

Davey
03-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Think we just did this a few months ago and there were a bunch of good responses so you might not get many responses this time, but I always loved Until the End of the World from that quirky early 90s Wim Wenders film. Funny that it's never made it to DVD yet. Kind of a cult classic by now. Guess it did get a deluxe DVD release in parts of Europe recently so maybe it'll make it here in English speaking NTSC country someday. Guess it's something to do with distribution rights. Too bad, I'd really love to watch it again on a quality screen a few times and try to catch more of the details. Oh well. Anyway, the soundtrack is compiled from many of his favorite contemporary artists who were asked to contribute a song. Some original, some reworked, some subsequently appearing on the artist's own records, but all pretty nice. Everything from Jane Siberry to Can.

The Paris, Texas soundtrack by Ry Cooder is a very nice one too. Another quirky but thoughtful Wim Wenders film that didn't make it to DVD until recently. Still haven't checked it out yet but definitely on my must see list. Very cool movie that I haven't had the pleasure of seeing for many, many years. I don't know if anyone is really making little cinematic treasures like this anymore that have such a lived in feel. Most productions nowadays are just so big and overblown and glitzy. Anyway, I have the soundtrack in the mid 80s big label vinyl version and it sounds great. That's the beauty of just about everything Cooder touches. Think there might've even been an audiophile version at one time later too. Some spoken word parts from the movie to tie it together and retain the dreamy quality of the movie.

And I've always been fond of the soundtrack from that Liv Tyler Stealing Beauty movie. Silly movie, but good soundtrack. I think it is, anyway...can't be certain if I like it just because it's such a nice collection of trip hop and funk and jazz and other cool stuff, or because when I play it I keep envisioning the scenes with Liv Tyler naked. Oh well, either way ...

1. 2 Wicky - Hoover
2. Glory Box - Portishead
3. If 6 Was 9 - Axiom Funk
4. Annie Mae - John Lee Hooker
5. Rocket Boy - Liz Phair
6. Superstition - Stevie Wonder
7. My Baby Just Cares For Me - Nina Simone
8. I'll Be Seeing You - Billie Holiday
9. Rhymes Of An Hour - Mazzy Star
10. Alice - Cocteau Twins
11. You Won't Fall - Lori Carson
12. I Need Love - Sam Phillips

Amazon.com
An elegantly programmed mix of trip-hop, vintage jazz, and contemporary female voices (Lori Carson, Sam Phillips, Portishead, and Cocteau Twins included). New tracks by Liz Phair ("Rocket Boy"), Hoover ("2 Wicky"), and Mazzy Star ("Rhymes of an Hour") are priorities. --Jeff Bateman