Mindcrime II [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mindcrime II

Duds
03-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Listened to the entire disc today, and i must say I am very disappointed. I guess my expectations were too high, considering how the last few Ryche albums have been, and seeing as how this is the sequel to one of my top 10 all time cds. Oh well, maybe it will grow on me after a few more listens.

ForeverAutumn
03-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Listened to the entire disc today, and i must say I am very disappointed. I guess my expectations were too high, considering how the last few Ryche albums have been, and seeing as how this is the sequel to one of my top 10 all time cds. Oh well, maybe it will grow on me after a few more listens.

Keep us posted on how those repeat listens go.

Duds
03-29-2006, 01:19 PM
i believe you can hear it in its entirety on rhino.com

Keep us posted on how those repeat listens go.

3-LockBox
03-29-2006, 01:38 PM

The first disc came out at the right time, and was superior to what passed for Prog Metal in those days (save for And Justice For All). I don't know that it would do that well now-a-days. We'll see. 18 years may prove too long a wait for a sequel to work. Other than a few of us social recluse music geeks, I think the audience for something like this have moved on and are taking 'line dancing' lessons.

BarryL
03-29-2006, 01:54 PM

I didn't think the last few Q albums were that good. I much prefered the less straight forward rock stuff on Empire and Promised Land.

Where does this one lie on that scale? Pre-promised land or post?

Any song writing credits to Geoff Tate? His solo album is great.

Duds
03-30-2006, 06:32 AM
It's definitely post-Empire type material. Tate's voice sounds good, but something just isnt working. I think they need Degarmo back.

I didn't think the last few Q albums were that good. I much prefered the less straight forward rock stuff on Empire and Promised Land.

Where does this one lie on that scale? Pre-promised land or post?

Any song writing credits to Geoff Tate? His solo album is great.

N. Abstentia
03-30-2006, 06:43 PM
I just don't understand how Queensryche took such a nose dive after Promised Land. It's like they got better and better with each album, peaking with Promised Land then the one right after that (...Now Fronteir?) was 180 degrees different. Everything changed..the sound, the writing, the music...everything. It wasn't a gradual demise to total suck, it happened in ONE album. It's almost like they hired some other crappy generic 'Nickelback' type band to write everything for them and Tate just put down some vocals for it so it would sound like Queensryche.

And yes..they need Degarmo back, but they will never be the band they were from Rage For Order through Promised Land.

Duds
03-31-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm not even a fan of Promised Land. It's not nearly as bad as the ones that follow it, but nowhere near as good as anything up to Empire.

I really don't understand the nose dive either. Ryche was awesome back in the day, maybe their time has just come. Kinda like MEtallica. They havent made anything good since Justice.

I just don't understand how Queensryche took such a nose dive after Promised Land. It's like they got better and better with each album, peaking with Promised Land then the one right after that (...Now Fronteir?) was 180 degrees different. Everything changed..the sound, the writing, the music...everything. It wasn't a gradual demise to total suck, it happened in ONE album. It's almost like they hired some other crappy generic 'Nickelback' type band to write everything for them and Tate just put down some vocals for it so it would sound like Queensryche.

And yes..they need Degarmo back, but they will never be the band they were from Rage For Order through Promised Land.