King Kong anybody see it at home yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : King Kong anybody see it at home yet?

swgiust
03-29-2006, 06:48 AM
Has anybody seen King Kong it their own theater yet? I will be watching it Friday night
and am looking for a review!

EdwardGein
03-29-2006, 09:27 AM
If you saw the original, this will be a major dissapointment for you. I saw it on DVD a week ago- the rental place here gets DVDs 2 weeks early before their official release. I thought it was very flat & contrived & the acting was medicore. Naomi Watts was OK but as I said the movie lacked heart & soul. The Special Effects were of course alot better then the original which were a joke. The 5.1 Sound was OK but not incredible. Enjoy

ToddL
03-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Turn your sub up and your brain off, and you will be okay.

westcott
03-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Turn your sub up and your brain off, and you will be okay.

That was a good one!:ciappa:

I watched it in the movie theater and agree with Ed but I have it checked out for rental to see if the sound is better than it was at the theater. It was terrible when I watched it and it seemed that everything under 40Hz was missing, like a bad TNTHD movie! The film was already worn and had black lines running through it the entire movie. The projector shook and was particularly noticeable in text on the screen or stationary buildings.:(

I am hoping the DVD version will provide better visual and aurial satisfaction. I will let you know, if it ever gets here.:ihih:

NetFlix just went from wait to long wait on my queue. O, well. I did get to see Memoirs of a Geisha. Good eye candy but typical asian tragedy film. No one says what they feel and everyone suffers miserably.

EdwardGein
03-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Wow, I thought it was my imagination about the lousy sound. To further say more great things, this was the first DVD I've rented that I had alot of problems hearing the dialogue & had to increase the DB's on my center speaker alot just for this. I never had that problem before, though others on this board have had for some DVDs. Good luck

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-29-2006, 11:54 AM
That was a good one!:ciappa:

I watched it in the movie theater and agree with Ed but I have it checked out for rental to see if the sound is better than it was at the theater. It was terrible when I watched it and it seemed that everything under 40Hz was missing, like a bad TNTHD movie! The film was already worn and had black lines running through it the entire movie. The projector shook and was particularly noticeable in text on the screen or stationary buildings.:(

I am hoping the DVD version will provide better visual and aurial satisfaction. I will let you know, if it ever gets here.:ihih:

The theater you saw it at may have had the subwoofers turned off for some reason. A friend of mine bought his copy over yesterday and I can assure you there is plenty of information under 40hz in this movie. As a matter of fact my SA says it has at least 40hz bass in all of the channels including the surrounds.

westcott
03-29-2006, 12:11 PM
The theater you saw it at may have had the subwoofers turned off for some reason.

I am pretty sure this was the case. I think the studios should pose heavy penalties on the theaters for adulterating the original composition of the artist.

I am sure it is because patrons from adjacent theaters complain about the sound traveling through the walls or by those patrons in the theater who do not appreciate the audio compositions as much as some of us do.

King Kong may have been my last theater visit. I see no real advantage to going to a theater any more. At least a drive-in had its perks even if the movie sucked!

N. Abstentia
03-29-2006, 12:19 PM
I enjoyed the heck out of it! It's actually one of the best balanced DVD's I've heard..everything is mixed the way it should be. It had been so long since I had seen the original and I was so young that I forgot the story so I wasn't constantly comparing the two which probably helped. And yes, my wife CRIED at the end. "I can't believe they killed him!!!" to which I could only say "..yeah but what about the hundreds of people he just got through killing?? Not to mention all the damage he caused, which the taxpayers will have to pay for." I have no compassion :)

westcott
03-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I enjoyed the heck out of it! It's actually one of the best balanced DVD's I've heard..everything is mixed the way it should be. It had been so long since I had seen the original and I was so young that I forgot the story so I wasn't constantly comparing the two which probably helped. And yes, my wife CRIED at the end. "I can't believe they killed him!!!" to which I could only say "..yeah but what about the hundreds of people he just got through killing?? Not to mention all the damage he caused, which the taxpayers will have to pay for." I have no compassion :)

Just to clarify, we are talking about the newly released Peter Jackson version?

N. Abstentia
03-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Yep. The one with dinosaurs! Were there dinosaurs in the original?

musicman1999
03-29-2006, 07:12 PM
saw this at the theater and wow was i dissapointed.It was 3 hours long and seemed like six,the effects were subpar(except for kong,he was good),story was weak and the sound was average.I have not rented it and do not plan to.
sorry for the rant,i was hoping for more.

bill

paul_pci
03-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Yep. The one with dinosaurs! Were there dinosaurs in the original?

Yes, but not as many.

L.J.
03-30-2006, 07:11 AM
I think it's worth the purchase just for the Skull Island scene and the final airplane battle. I can't help it, I'm a sucker for dinosaurs and giant spiders and what not. If anything this will be a good popcorn muncher. Here is earlier threads on what many thought, including myself, after seeing this at the theater:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=15121

Overall I thought it was just OK. Nothing to cry about, but that's just my opinion.

Wescott,
I agree with you on the theater comment. There just doesn't seem to be anything to get excited about anymore. Especially when your dealing with idiots the whole time you're trying to get your money worth. I'm starting to say, I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD, more and more. Theater seems like a big waste of money now.

N. Abstentia
03-30-2006, 06:37 PM
I find it odd when people say that the 'story line is weak'...like they have no idea that it's a remake of a 1933 movie!

musicman1999
03-30-2006, 06:51 PM
I know full well it's a remake,what isn't these days,but i have never seen the original.Just never got around to it,guess i should make time and do that.I did see the remake in the seventies and i liked it better than the current one.It could have been better if it was 90 minutes shorter,like i believe the original was.

bill

EdwardGein
03-30-2006, 07:11 PM
The 30's version was compact, this one is way too long. I haven't seen the 70's version but people seem to like that so I'm going to rent it. I also liked the 30's sequel. I'm not into special effects but I'm surprised people didn't laugh Kong off in the 30's as it looked like he was created by Beevis & Butthead & as soon as you see him, its hard to take the 30's movie seriously tthough I much preferred that to the current travesty.

Kam
03-31-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm not into special effects but I'm surprised people didn't laugh Kong off in the 30's as it looked like he was created by Beevis & Butthead & as soon as you see him, its hard to take the 30's movie seriously ....

umm... are you serious or is that a joke? (the people laughing at kong in the '30s comment, as well as the created by b&b jab)
not sure if you have any context of the history of film in general or the original kong's place in it... the special effects of this movie were groundbreaking and audiences were stunned by this film, it had the largest opening weekend ever for its time, and this movie saved its studio from bankruptcy, among other achievments like inspiring generations of other filmmakers and creating some of the most iconic imagery that is continuously copied to this day. so... i'd say no, imo, i dont think it looked like he was created by beevis and butthead at all. watching that movie now is still a fun thrill over 70 years later.

EdwardGein
03-31-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm not saying the original movie wasn't good & didn't do well in the box office but if you look at Kong he looks like he was created by Beevis & Butthead. Kong in the 30's looked like a puppet or something, a bad one at that. If people in the 30's considered that as lifelike, so be it, no one I know considers him as so in the 30's movie.

Kam
03-31-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm not saying the original movie wasn't good & didn't do well in the box office but if you look at Kong he looks like he was created by Beevis & Butthead. Kong in the 30's looked like a puppet or something, a bad one at that. If people in the 30's considered that as lifelike, so be it, no one I know considers him as so in the 30's movie.

are you aware of a concept called viewing things in historical context? that guy edison sure was a total moron! what crappy lightbulbs he came up with, they called that 'light" we have these sweet halogens now, these are WAY better! and that guy newton, what a total idiot he was, everyone knows about gravity and the laws of motion!
:)

GMichael
03-31-2006, 11:34 AM
are you aware of a concept called viewing things in historical context? that guy edison sure was a total moron! what crappy lightbulbs he came up with, they called that 'light" we have these sweet halogens now, these are WAY better! and that guy newton, what a total idiot he was, everyone knows about gravity and the laws of motion!
:)

Ever see the first Micky Mouse cartoon? What crap that was. Don't know how Walt ever made a living.

EdwardGein
03-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Maybe you're right but I just can't imagine even in historical content someone taking Kong seriously. Even Mickey Mouse looked more realistic then Kong did to me. I'm glad I didn't live in the 30's. While I would have preferred to have lived in my 20's & 30's in the 60's instead of my teens, the 30's to me offered nothing. Women & music to me looked & sounded so much better in the 60's- I'd take a Vintage 60's Sophia Loren look over the joke that passes as a sex symbol today- Scarlett Johanson for example, big deal & to me the music & musicians were so much better then. To me the 30's & even the 40's offered nothing. I didn't like the way the women looked, there was no TV, no rock music, nothing. I do like vintage 30's movies though but that's about it. Having said that though, 2 1/2 years ago, I had the same thing that John Ritter had, & if it was the 60's, I'd have died immediately.

N. Abstentia
03-31-2006, 01:28 PM
What about those cars in the 30's? What piles of junk! They had no idea what they were doing! Those cars were a joke. The cars we have now look much better than those.

:17: