Peter Jackson's King Kong DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson's King Kong DVD

Defshep
03-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Watched a bit of it last night. After liking it (but not being blown away) in theaters, I gave it another chance on dvd. Overall, I liked it a little better this time around. The Dolby 5.1soundtrack is quite meaty, with lots of rear channel and subwoofer action. Picture quality is quite stunning, which unfortunately doesn't help the scenes where the cgi looks a little half-baked. That still irks me. As I mentioned in the theatrical review, WETA still isn't up to par with Lucasfilm's ILM when it comes to sfx. I still would liked to have seen more physical (animatronic) creatures. There is just so much obvious green screen and cgi work going on, that you don't really feel like you're there. Had this been made pre-Jurassic Park, it would have been ground-breaking. Some of the visuals still look amazing. Kong is still a marvel, as far as the emotion and primal brutality he displays. What could be the most exciting monster sequence ever put on film - the t-rex battle - is worth the price of the dvd alone. Naomi Watts as Ann Darrow is a stand-out performance.
This is all I have time for this morning. If you liked Kong in theaters, or if you're a fan of big monsters gone wild in general, pick up this dvd. I got the two-disc edition, but I haven't had a chance to view the special features.