HZ freq.range Cut off ?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HZ freq.range Cut off ??

swwdts
03-28-2006, 09:13 PM
What is generally a good cut off number for HZ in bass? :idea: My sub has a crossover with a freq.range of 40-180HZ.What would be a good cut off number/range for HZ to where I hear nothing but bass out of my powered sub?As of now,I have a sub which sounds like a center speaker for a HT.

paul_pci
03-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Typical crossover is 80hz. Does your reciever have that setting or are you solely relying on the sub? If you're relying on the sub, you can play with the dial. If receiver, try 80hz.

topspeed
03-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Normally, you'd take whatever frequency your mains roll off at and then set the sub around the same point, if not a bit higher (depending on how fast they roll off). I'd be able to give you an idea but you failed to list your equipment in your profile (now you know "why"). The challenge of course, is if your mains roll off pretty high. IIRC, bass becomes directional above 60hz (or is it 40?), and if you have to set your xover much higher you can run into the problems you are experiencing now.

Hope this helps.

kexodusc
03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
IIRC, bass becomes directional above 60hz (or is it 40?), and if you have to set your xover much higher you can run into the problems you are experiencing now.

Hey Topspeed.
The jury is still very much out on this one and starts a flame war on some DIY/studio setup/engineering forums I frequent. You'd think they were talking about the sonic benefits of cables!!!
Most literature I've seen on the subject suggest bass even as high as 120Hz is non-directional. I don't agree with that, but some people do.

80-100 Hz gets thrown around alot because of the THX, Dolby, DTS standards etc.

I think people get confused and say lower frequencies are still directional because they hear the low bass, and can localize the harmonics of the fundamental frequencies at the same time. You can also "feel" where the frequencies are originating from in some cases.

What doesn't help is the fact a lot of modern subwoofers still have tons of distortion - we're not very sensitive to the distortion tone-wise, but the harmonics do give the location away.

FWIW, I find around 90 Hz in my setup to be the point where I can locate my sub consistently. Below that and it's a 50/50 guess at best. By 60 Hz it's disappeared. How much is harmonics? I don't know, probably all of it.

I set my crossover for home theater at 80 Hz. (I eq up to 80 Hz trading the odd directional cue for flatter response). People usually ask me if it's on since they can't hear it making noise until something explodes :cornut:

swwdts
03-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help ! My 10" powered sub in currently set at 110Hz. I will try 60Hz next.

Wireworm5
03-30-2006, 02:38 AM
I have mine set at 79 hz. Few instruments go below this in freq.. The ones that do are bass instruments, bass guitar, bass violin, drums, synth, pipe organ and a few others. Everything else can be handled by the speakers even my bookshelves which is within their roll off range.

kexodusc
03-30-2006, 04:28 AM
Thanks to everyone for the help ! My 10" powered sub in currently set at 110Hz. I will try 60Hz next.

Trying is always good, nothing wrong with experimenting. Try a few other values while you're at it. Use the same song or demo if you can so you can get a feel for it. Generally you'd move down to the next available cutoff point instead of jumping right ot 60 but since this is an iterative process anyway, I don't see why you can't do it your way.

Try not to rely on the published manufacturers specs for your speakers or subs bass response. Especially anything that claims "bass extension" or "LFE extension", those are usually -9 or -10 dB points, and not reliable. Your speakers will tend to behave differently in your room, providing either more or less bass.

swwdts
03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I have my x-over set on 80Hz.I used Guns & Roses music & a couple of Armed Forces dvds & 80 - 85 Hz. Worked best for me.Thanks everyone for the help !