Please help with cd/dvd suggestions for my first major upgrade [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help with cd/dvd suggestions for my first major upgrade

kingcu
03-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Hello everyone,

I just made a decision to upgrade to the real "hi-fi" system recently (I've been using some "mid-fi" system before). I've decided on the speakers/amp/preamp and am now shopping for a cd/dvd player (I will probably do half music and half movie.)

The components that I already had are:

B&W 802
Meridian 568.1
Classe CA-300

I am looking at the following cd/dvd players right now (these are the only ones that I know of):

Rotel RDV-1080
Marantz DV-8400/9500

I am looking for a good condition used one under $1000 as I think a good used one is most cost-effective.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Tong

paul_pci
03-28-2006, 06:04 PM
My understanding is that Arcam and MusicHall make among the best high end CD players. I've only heard Arcam while auditioning speakers at audio shops,so I can't get real specific about it. But check 'em out and see what you think.

accastil
03-29-2006, 03:15 AM
you can also add musical fidelity as one of your options for the CDP :)

kingcu
03-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the information. Since I need a cd/dvd combo, the musical fidelity will not work for me, since it looks like they only make cd players.

I am currently looking at Arcam's DV 78, which falls into my price range and from the reviews I read online seems to have both a good cd playback and good video quality. Can someone tell me how can I find a arcam dealer in Philadelphia area? I checked their website (they are actually a British company), but it has only one US dealer in Indiana listed on their website. Thanks.

paul_pci
03-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Actually, what you found, and it is a bit confusing, is the distributor not the dealer. Go to the distributor's page and it has a "dealer locater" link and you can put in your zip. Since I don't know the zip for your neighborhood, I'll just give you the link to the distributors page:

http://www.audiophilesystems.com/

Good luck.