Deja Vu: CD Player Recommendations Versus DVD Players [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Deja Vu: CD Player Recommendations Versus DVD Players

EdwardGein
03-28-2006, 02:05 PM
For regular CD's, not DVD-A's or SACD's, do you prefer the sound of a CD player connected to your receiver or DVD player, or is there basically no difference to you in regard to the audio sound? If you prefer CD sound, which player(s) whether still sold or discontinued do you recommend (list brand & model number) in terms of sound quality. Anyone familiar with Pioneer's PD-59 or PD-65?:ihih: :ihih: :ihih: :ihih: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :cornut: :ihih: :ihih:

musicman1999
03-28-2006, 03:02 PM
ed

my arcam cd-73t destroys my cambridge audio 540d dvd player for cd playback.It's not close.As any quality cd player will,over the average dvd player.To get high quality cd playback from a dvd player,you must spend large money.You need to look at your system as a whole and from what i know of it you have about the limit of sound quality.With the possible exception of room treatments.

thanks
bill

abulgan
03-29-2006, 10:05 AM
i'm planning to buy Cambridge Azur 540 or 640 for my Tube Amp,
i hope they make better cd players than dvd ones made by them

N. Abstentia
03-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Question is...when he connects them DIGITALLY, which one will sound better?

EdwardGein
03-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I don't know about the 640 but I wouldn't get the 540. I played it in front of a member here & the difference between that & my Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player was negilble. If anything I prefered the Harmon Kardon The 540 sounded the same when connected both by analogue & optical.

musicman1999
03-29-2006, 02:28 PM
I have heard both and the 640 is certainly better.Make sure it is the updated version 2 model,they are much better.
ed
what were they feeding into?If nothing else the 540 shoul have a least sounded different when you compared the analog and digital,because you are using different dac's.

bill

EdwardGein
03-29-2006, 04:39 PM
I & the other member of the board didn't notice any difference when we ran analogue cables from it & an optical cable through it connected to my Denon 3801. When I compared the sound of it to my Harmon Kardon 31, I noticed a slight difference for which I preferred the Harmon Kardon. I loaned the 540 to the othe board member who when he brought it home also noted a slight difference but preferred it to his existing DVD player. I then returned the 540 & got my money back as it wasn't worth keeping. I can't comment on the 640 because I haven't heard it.

musicman1999
03-29-2006, 04:51 PM
thats odd.
I auditioned the 540(also the 640)before i bought my arcam.I have never heard your dvd player but have heard the dvd22 and it was not very good at all.Still odd that you should not hear a difference between the two dacs.
thanks
bill

EdwardGein
03-29-2006, 05:25 PM
I can't comment on the 22 other then say that translating Harmon Kardons double talk gobblygook there are differences in the inside parts between them & the DVD31 besides the 31 playing DVD-A & the 22 not playing DVD-A, & maybe that affects the sound. Not having heard the 22 I can't comment on it. On the 31 for whatever reason, it sounds much better when listening by optic cable. There is also a setting that let's you decide whether you want to bypass the DVD player for the receiver. Having said that, when playing the exact discs on the 31 as opposed to the 540, the sound on the Harmon Kardon 31 to me was richer, warmer & gave more detail & the 540 sounded harsher. The other member of theis forum who also listen to the comparison at the same time, didn't notice these differences & for him they both sounded identical. As such, I returned the 540. When he borrowed it to hear at his home, the 540 sounded better then his existing DVD player (I forgot what brand & model it was).

paul_pci
03-29-2006, 10:22 PM
thats odd.
I auditioned the 540(also the 640)before i bought my arcam.I have never heard your dvd player but have heard the dvd22 and it was not very good at all.Still odd that you should not hear a difference between the two dacs.
thanks
bill

Yeah, that was me. There was a difference between the Cambridge (analog) and my Sony mega disc (optical), but to me, as with Ed, it didn't strike me as a $500 difference. In other words, the difference wasn't such that I'd be willing to drop that kind of money. But I think it was the 640, but maybe I'm incorrect about that. The soundstage seemed leaner, which isn't necessarily bad and acoustic rock seem crisper, but still, it didn't strike me as that great of a difference at that price point. But, if I had that kind of money to throw around, I could see myself getting the Cambirdge or an Arcam, to be sure.

EdwardGein
03-29-2006, 10:28 PM
It was definately the 540, I think 540C or something like that

anamorphic96
03-29-2006, 10:43 PM
It was definately the 540, I think 540C or something like that

It was the 640. All you need to do is look through your own threads or do a search.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10842&highlight=cambridge+audio+640C

EdwardGein
03-29-2006, 10:59 PM
I stand Corrected albeit that was my brother Hershon's post, not mine. How Did You Do that?

anamorphic96
03-29-2006, 11:20 PM
I stand Corrected albeit that was my brother Hershon's post, not mine. How Did You Do that?

Use the search function at the top of the screen next to the calendar icon in the forums. Type in some search words and if you know the posters name type that in as well.

If you want to use something as link bookmark then copy and paste it in the reply your sending.