Got My Tax Refund, What's next [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Got My Tax Refund, What's next

HAVIC
03-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Ok so I'm not sure what I could add to my system to improve it. Maybe EQ, 2 chanel amp to for towers, line conditioner,etc Basically I'm look for suggestions to improve my system. I'm not sure what different products can do at this point to make a better system. Outside of replacing my speakers and my reciever, what can I add.

Thanks,
Greg

PAT.P
03-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Ok so I'm not sure what I could add to my system to improve it. Maybe EQ, 2 chanel amp to for towers, line conditioner,etc Basically I'm look for suggestions to improve my system. I'm not sure what different products can do at this point to make a better system. Outside of replacing my speakers and my reciever, what can I add.

Thanks,
GregLine conditioner would help and protect your system.Are you missing speakers for your yamaha 2500?

Wireworm5
03-28-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm not familiar with all of your stuff, but it looks like you have a complete system. You could put the money towards a Bryston SST amp if you want to go to the next level in sound. Or you could buy acoustic foam panels to focus the sound better. Or a standalone burner so you can go into production for your friends.
If your happy with your system then put the money towards new music of movies. You can never have too much music. Sometimes I don't know what to play anymore, so I always looking for new tunes that I like. Its sucks though when you buy ten on-line and find you only like one after receiving them.
Or you can send me the cash so I can pay off my upgrade.:)

paul_pci
03-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Pay off your credit cards.

topspeed
03-28-2006, 11:07 AM
You don't state what you don't like about your rig, so I'm wondering if you're just throwing money at it just for giggles. You can't fix what ain't broke.

Unless you have a glaring weakness that needs to be addressed, I'd recommend you invest it. This doesn't necessarily mean in commodities or real estate either, although there's certainly nothing wrong with being one step closer to financial independence. Invest in your mental well being by taking that trip to Tahiti, invest it in your family by going to that baseball fantasy camp your kids would love, or invest it your health by hiring a personal trainer. There are possibilities far beyond the scope of AV.

HAVIC
03-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Line conditioner would help and protect your system.Are you missing speakers for your yamaha 2500?
The speakers are PSB Image T65 http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=12&sId=3

I'm 100% debt free after having an issue with credit cards when I was younger. I've learned my lesson, if you can't pay it off by the end of the month, save more money.

topspeed, I don't state what I want because I'm not sure what or how for example a seperate amp for my mains will effect my system or any "add-on". Are Line Conditioners snake oil, not sure, see both sides of the argument. I see a lot of recommendations for Behringer eq., will it help? Overall I'm happy with my system, but figured I might be able to make it better. I thought of a seperate amp for my mains because when I got my PSB 6 ohm speakers I noticed I had to drive the yamaha harder to get the same volume from it.

As far as investing I have money taken automatically from my paycheck, so this is "FUN" money.

I Figured I'd ask the experts to see what might be the best addition to my system. I'm just getting into higher ends systems and have a lot to learn and I don't want to get burned.

Thanks again,
Greg

Jimmy C
03-28-2006, 12:28 PM
...when someone is asking how to spend "found" money, like a tax return, or "I came into some $$$", a loan, whatever... the advise is INVEST it, do something smart. If someone is asking "What's the best $5K, $10k", etc. speaker, no one bats an eyelash, there are usually 50 suggestions. If anything, you should blow the "found" cash, save/invest the monies that you've busted your your azz for...lol.

By the way, I am guilty of this as well.

My advise? Well, if your last name is Trump or Gates, buy whatever sounds incrementally better, and have it professionally delivered/set-up. When something better comes along after that, selling at a loss won't hurt at all. Even the effort put into that buying process will be minimal.

If you're an average guy with a pretty good sounding rig (like me), wait 'till something REALLY blows you away... forget lateral changes.

If you are in debt up to your eyeballs, four screaming offspring, mortgage in arrears, well, yeah... save it :^)

topspeed
03-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Are Line Conditioners snake oil, not sure, see both sides of the argument.There are line conditioners and then there are power regenerators. Most line conditioners are glorified surge protectors. Do they help? I think you'll notice a far bigger difference on the video side where they can clean up some hash if your power is particularly dirty. On the audio side, I doubt you'd notice. Power Regenerators such as Richard Gray Power Co. or PS Audio actually take the power and recondition it to a perfect wave. This article (http://www.psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp) will answer a lot questions you may have.
I see a lot of recommendations for Behringer eq., will it help? Without question. Room modes and nodes are simply a fact of life. A BFD can help tame the room response, particularly with a sub.
Overall I'm happy with my system, but figured I might be able to make it better. I thought of a seperate amp for my mains because when I got my PSB 6 ohm speakers I noticed I had to drive the yamaha harder to get the same volume from it. 6 ohms is an easy load. Just about anything can drive that. This is not say that amps sound the same, because IME they don't. My Denon couldn't properly drive my speakers which have impedence dips into the high 2's. Hanging 5 of 'em on the woeful power supply almost constituted cruel and unusual punishment. I found an audibly superior solution by adding a 2 channel amp for the mains because I listen to most of my music the way God intended ;) . Does this mean you should look at an amp over a BFD, pc, or room treatments? No. But because it's "fun" money, you're going to have a great time figuring out which gives you the best bang for your buck!

Have fun!

Woochifer
03-28-2006, 06:23 PM
That would depend on how big a refund you're getting and how much you want to allocate to your audio system (as others have said, debt reduction and investing should at least be part of the mix). Looking over your system, I would look at a parametric EQ. The BFD is probably the most frequently mentioned parametric EQ because it's very inexpensive ($150<) and it works really well as a subwoofer equalizer. That single component made the biggest improvement to my system, outside of timbre matching the speakers.

Another potential system upgrade that I would consider would be the subwoofer. Yamaha's subs have a reputation for delivering a good value for the price, but several other options might give you nice upgrade in the bass performance, especially if you integrate it with the parametric EQ. But, as a first step I would go with the parametric EQ. Just adding that component is the equivalent of buying a new subwoofer -- the improvement is that noticeable.

SlumpBuster
03-28-2006, 08:41 PM
But, as a first step I would go with the parametric EQ. Just adding that component is the equivalent of buying a new subwoofer -- the improvement is that noticeable.

What's the difference between the outboard parametric EQ and the one already built into his RX-2500? Or are you just talking about using it as a sub EQ?

As to what to upgrade, I run a RX-1500 and added a separate amp for front channels and added back surrounds and presence speakers too. These were all upgrades that had a lot of fun factor IMO.

Woochifer
03-28-2006, 08:58 PM
What's the difference between the outboard parametric EQ and the one already built into his RX-2500? Or are you just talking about using it as a sub EQ?

As to what to upgrade, I run a RX-1500 and added a separate amp for front channels and added back surrounds and presence speakers too. These were all upgrades that had a lot of fun factor IMO.

Difference is that the YPAO calibration on your receiver does not go below 60 Hz, and in a typical room, you'll likely run into at least one major problem frequency in the bass range below that point. Using a BFD or any other parametric EQ will allow you to fine tune and hone in on issues that occur throughout the bass range, not just the frequencies above 60 Hz. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth the effort to maximize your subwoofer's performance.

PAT.P
03-28-2006, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=HAVIC]The speakers are PSB Image T65 http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=12&sId=3 Havic I did see the listing of speakers.The yamaha RXV-2500 is a 7 channel receiver ,you listed front ,center ,surround.Do you need Presence Front/zone 2 and Surround Back speakers or are you staying with 5.1 set up?

HAVIC
03-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Pat P, I don't think I currently have a big enough room to support 7.1, so I'm staying with 5.1 for now. The room is only 20x12.

Woochifer and Topspeed, I was doing some research into the BFD and it definetly does not look like an easy device to setup. I found this website http://bfdguide.ws is it as complicated as this or not. I don't have a problem figuring it out, just want to know what I am getting into. You also mention other parametric eq's you have any recomendations so I can compare, or is the price vs performance the reason everyone goes with the Behringer.

Actually one problem I would say that I have with my sub is that it seems no matter how I position it, it always sounds/feels loud outside the living room. Could the Behringer help?

Thanks again guys
Greg

E-Stat
03-29-2006, 05:57 AM
Banks don't give zero interest loans - why should you?

Seriously, I echo two other recommendations already given: power conditioner and EQ for your subs. I find benefit to using both in my HT system.

rw

musicoverall
03-29-2006, 08:13 AM

One thing that definitely makes music and audio sound better, food taste better, less gastrointestinal distress among many other benefits is being debt free! I'm currently experiencing this, although I don't think my car will last too much longer!

The best upgrade to LIFE is paying off debt.