Terrific Tunesday! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Terrific Tunesday!

ForeverAutumn
03-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Happy Tuesday everyone! It's a warm(ish), sunny day here today. Yesterday I noticed that my tulips are starting to pop out of the ground, so it must be spring. :)

Here's what I've been spinning this past week.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - I have the 20th Anniversary Edition. It's strange to think that 20th anniversary edition is now 13 years old. It's coming up to it's own 20th anniversary. hehehe.

Robert Plant - Now and Zen - I haven't listened to this album in years and years. It sounds very dated now. It hasn't held up well over time.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication - I don't have a lot of Chili Pepper disks, but I really like this one.

Elbow - Leaders of the Free World

Dogs Die in Hot Cars - Please Describe Yourself

Sister Hazel - Chasing Daylight - Probably their weakest disk IMO.

3-LockBox
03-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Robert Plant - Now and Zen - I haven't listened to this album in years and years. It sounds very dated now. It hasn't held up well over time. No it has not. I listened to this just a few months ago and was shocked at how "80's" it sounded. You know... another album I listened to quite a bit back around the same time frame was Jethro Tull-Crest Of A Knave, and I really obcessed both of those albums, but when I whipped out COAK a year or so ago, I was taken aback in the same manner. As far as Plant goes, nothing he ever did matched his first two solo albums with Robbie Blundt on guitar.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication - I don't have a lot of Chili Pepper disks, but I really like this one. This is the only one I'll ever own and it still is, their best ever, IMO.

Stone
03-28-2006, 01:34 PM
This is the only one I'll ever own and it still is, their best ever, IMO.

Interesting take on the RHCPs. I really stopped listening to them after BloodSugarSexMagik and think they've progressively gone downhill since Mofo Uplift Party Plan which is easily my favorite, and the last with Hillel still in the band. I listened to my brother's copy of Californication once and politely put it back on the shelf, with no desire to hear it again.

Stone
03-28-2006, 01:44 PM
http://cover6.cduniverse.com/msiart/0000425/0000425320.jpghttp://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc000/c001/c001437yn45.jpghttp://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd300/d363/d36332394nk.jpg

I also listened to:

Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes

Velvet Underground - s/t

The Weirdos - Weird World

Kylie Minogue - Fever

Rocket From the Crypt - Scream, Dracula, Scream!

Peter Tosh - Legalize It

Davey
03-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Terrific Tunesday!
Whatever. I must've eaten some bad food last night cause I had to get up and puke early this morning. Either that or I'm pregnant. Think it might've been the peanuts. Hopefully I'll be able to cut out of work a little early today.

Spent a bunch of time with Red Red Meat Bunny Gets Paid which I scored from djangos for real cheap a while back. Really set the blueprint for the more eclectic side of Califone and their sister bands. Too bad it's oop and normally pretty expensive on epay.

And been spinning another one that I mentioned recently. Maybe the ultimate new age space recording by Constance Demby. A true classic, Novus Magnificat: Through the Stargate. Great recording on Hearts of Space.

And spent a bunch of time with Laika, especially Silver Apples of the Moon and Sounds of the Satellites. Both modern classics to me.

And it doesn't seem like there's much interest in my Mystery Disc #1, but just got that back a couple days ago from an extended stay with a buddy so been listening to it a lot too. That final block of three songs usually winds up on infinite repeat with me. Nearly perfect.

And some others :)

Hyfi
03-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Robert Plant - Now and Zen - I haven't listened to this album in years and years. It sounds very dated now. It hasn't held up well over time.

I also have this disk and am not overly thrilled with it. I do however have a tape from a PBS showing of them doing most of this disk live. Overall a pretty good concert tape except for the guitar player wearing a green silk pair of shorty pajamas.

Hyfi

Too busy playing with the new Sony 40" LCD HiDef TV to listen to much music this week. Makes for great Rave Recs surfing from the sofa via wireless keyboard & mouse.

ForeverAutumn
03-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Whatever. I must've eaten some bad food last night cause I had to get up and puke early this morning.

Are you sure it wasn't the Red Red Meat? 'Cause you know uncooked meat is bad for you. :wink5:

Hope you're feeling better.

Troy
03-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Wow, that is SO scary. I had pizza for lunch yesterday and immediately started to feel crappy. By 8 I was a fountain out of both ends. Still haven't eaten anything since that pizza, but I'm starting to feel better. The nausea is passing.

Now to induce further vomiting, here's some iTunes 5 star track shuffle. One man's 5-star track is another's "pass me the remote" moment.

http://www.designshed.com/tuesday.jpg

Snowbunny
03-29-2006, 10:56 AM
And it doesn't seem like there's much interest in my Mystery Disc #1, but just got that back a couple days ago from an extended stay with a buddy so been listening to it a lot too. That final block of three songs usually winds up on infinite repeat with me. Nearly perfect.

And some others :)

Hi Davey!

Thanks for the Mystery Discs! Didya think I'd like em? Just curious. Was Disc #1 SBS or VO? I liked the first VO a lot better than this one.

I didn't really like the SBS at all, except that I liked the name of the album. It just sounds kind of mopey and dated to me. Sorry. I tried. What's DS's connection to NH? Do I need to still be talking in code.

On the Tuesday Topic, I've been listening to:

Tori Amos - Scarlett's Walk
Flaming Lips - Sumday
Eleni Mandell - Snakebite
Neko Case - Blacklisted
Elliott Brood - Tintypes
Andrew Bird - Eggs
Wilco - A Ghost is Born
Leonard Cohen - ?

No vomit stories here. Just a little fragrant from the lovely Indian Butter Chicken I made for lunches this week. :yesnod:

Snowbunny

I'm okay with my decay. I have no choice. :)

Davey
03-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi Davey!

Thanks for the Mystery Discs! Didya think I'd like em? Just curious. Was Disc #1 SBS or VO?
Naw, just thought since I was sending out some mystery packages that I'd put your name on one too. Both the Voyager One #1 and Nine Horses #2 discs are big recent favorites so I included copies of those for a few people. But the mystery disc thing didn't go over very well this time, probably because I didn't get them out until way late. And I guess that most people probably had a similar reaction to yours ;)

ForeverAutumn
03-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Elliott Brood - Tintypes

How's the Elliott Brood disk? I don't know much about them other than that they are on Six Shooter Records, the same label as Luke Doucet and Rheostatics. Elliott Brood were on the local morning show this week, but the singer sounded like he had laryngitis (sp?)...or maybe that's how he's supposed to sound. I wasn't sure whether that was his regular voice, or whether he was sick but didn't want to cancel the gig.

Davey
03-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Now to induce further vomiting, here's some iTunes 5 star track shuffle. One man's 5-star track is another's "pass me the remote" moment.
Looks like a lot fun tunes, but it does take some odd turns based on what I suspect some of the tunes I don't know sound like. Do you ever listen to CDs anymore?

Troy
03-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Looks like a lot fun tunes, but it does take some odd turns based on what I suspect some of the tunes I don't know sound like

I find it fascinating how people can come to a conclusion about what a song sounds like by the title! Try to imagine what a song called "Skull Baby Cluster" in your mind. Reach a conclusion before you go further. Got it?

Now listen to it:
http://www.designshed.com/toonage/SkullBabyCluster.mp3

Like you imagined even a little? I rather doubt it. Sucker rocks wierd, don't it?

Do you ever listen to CDs anymore?

Funny you mention that.

I don't.

Well, I still do CDs in the car, but at home it's been the shuffle literally 100% of the time for MONTHS now. I can feel the randomness starting to wear, in the sense that it's not very cohesive and lacks ANY sort of structure.

So maybe I'll start just playing albums again, or shuffle only by artist.

BradH
03-29-2006, 06:14 PM
I find it fascinating how people can come to a conclusion about what a song sounds like by the title!

"Lick My Love Pump" is a great example.

Sucker rocks wierd, don't it?

Cool. You ever hear that first Giraffe cd with all those "found" voices on it?

Pat D
03-30-2006, 07:43 PM
After the renovations to the kitchen, dining room and living room were done, we were finally able to move the furniture back, and set up the stereo system again! The first two things I listened begin the list:

Mussorgsky-Ravel, Pictures at an Exhibition, with Ernest Ansermet and the Suisse Romande Orchestra. My favorite--probably not yours, but I think it's the best characterized of any I have heard.

Beethoven, Symphonies Nos. 6 & 8, with Leibowitz and the Royal Philharmonic Orch. I think these are as good as any.

Roger Whittaker, 16 Golden Classics, on a Castle CD.

Diana Krall, Love Scenes.

Schubert's 9th Symphony with Suitner and the Berlin Staatskapkapelle.

Sibelius, Symphony No. 5, with Maazel and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

The Best of Three Blind Mice--various Japanese jazz ensembles, very fine recordings.

3-LockBox
03-30-2006, 10:20 PM
After the renovations to the kitchen, dining room and living room were done, we were finally able to move the furniture back, and set up the stereo system again! .

Hey dude, long time, no see!

Home renovations, huh? And yer still married? :lol:

Pat D
04-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Hey dude, long time, no see!

Home renovations, huh? And yer still married? :lol:

Yeah, it's good to be back a little. It's still hard to find much time to listen to music.

Actually, we got married the week before renovations started. Someone was just telling me that home renovations are a real test for a couple--but though we had some frustrations and differences of opinions, we've weathered things a lot worse than this, believe me.