Anyone heard the new Mogwai album? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard the new Mogwai album?

kexodusc
03-28-2006, 04:54 AM
I really like 2 of Mogwai's earlier albums. Unfortunately, I'm bored to tears by the other two. This isn't a bad thing necesarily, I see it as the group either being killer or crap...no in betweens.

So, I'm curious, how does "Mr. Beast" sound? I've read it's their best work to date, and a fresh approach from these guys. But if I had a nickel everytime I read that in an album review...well, I can't think of anything clever to finish that, but you get the point.

Dusty Chalk
03-28-2006, 05:08 AM
Wait, two? I'm going to guess -- you liked two of: Young Team, Come On Die Young and Rock Action, and you didn't like Happy Songs for Happy People?

I've only heard one song from it, but I have a feeling this will be the one to depolarize you -- there will be things that you like about it, and things that you will find boring.

Meh, why did I even post?

Probably just so I could make that "depolarize" comment. But I was also curious how you got 2+2.

kexodusc
03-28-2006, 05:53 AM
Ha!

I got 2 + 2 because I own 4 CD's...two I really like that get lots of play every year, two that I don't play as much . I actually loved Happy Songs, my fav so far.

Really liked Young Team, too...thought Come on Die Young was terribly mediocre, and I just can't get into it no matter how many times I try.
Now that I think about it, I like a few tracks on Rock Action, too, (listening to it now) just not as much as Happy Songs or Young Team.
So maybe it's 2.5-1. Whatever.

I think they have some compilations and Ep's too, I haven't bothered with them.

Mayonnaise
03-29-2006, 09:08 AM
I bought the cd and started listening to it and was really enjoying it when Fergus my Irish Terrier decided he'd take it off the shelf and use it as home plate and now it won't play anymore. I love him and I hate him sometimes.

kexodusc
03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
I bought the cd and started listening to it and was really enjoying it when Fergus my Irish Terrier decided he'd take it off the shelf and use it as home plate and now it won't play anymore. I love him and I hate him sometimes.

I decided to splurge, bought it and I think it's a very solid album, different than their more recent works, but nothing totally groundbreaking.
It actually sounds a bit more like a rock album and less like a movie soundtrack (best way I can describe it compared to the last 2). I don't know how they did it, but the bass on this CD sounds amazing.
This stuff was made for 5.1. Wonder if they offer it on DVD-A or SACD?