Sony DVD player NS-975 problems - Help anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony DVD player NS-975 problems - Help anyone?

Breezer88888
03-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi,
I have already e-mailed Sony, but let's see what the "real experts" among you think. My Sony DVP-NS975V has been working great for about a year. The upconverting on my 60 inch using HDMI has been more than I could ask for. In using a calibration disk, there was minimal tweakage with results I was proud of. But alas, last weekend its display was the dreaded "Cannot play this disc" error message. The software is fairly new (I checked the version on the special info screen).

If anyone has any similar experience, I'd appreciate you posting how your problem was resolved.

Thanks very much,
Breezer

edtyct
03-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Dear, Dear Breezer,

Did you buy happen to buy that DVD player at least in part on my recommendation? I feel like hiding in a corner. The well-documented problems with early firmware versions of this player involved its inability to read and play any disks, with a side order of a drawer clamped shut (there is a trick to opening it, which I think I can retrieve if you need it). The 975Vs with the later firmware (1.8 or so) appear to have licked the problem, if a bunch of us at AVS are to be believed. The fact that I don't recall the refusal to play a particular disk as one of the original symptoms leads me to believe (actually, hope) that your problem is different and that your player hasn't shut down completely. If it won't play or read any disks at all, however, I'm afraid that it's going to face a trip to Laredo for exchange, assuming that it's still under the failure warranty.

Ed

Breezer88888
03-28-2006, 06:19 AM
Hi Ed,

Don't be ridiculous, I made my decision on an array of factors. But thanks for the kind words. I checked the firmware version a few months ago and was relieved that it was a more recent version, 1.9 or higher. This problem does seem to be unique and there is no problem with the drawer. I am submitting a request to exchange my unit with Sony since it is still under warranty. I am skeptical about the end-result since they've already commented that I may be receiving a refurbished player in order to "satisfy" me. Would I do it again? I probably would.

take care,
Breezer

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-28-2006, 08:50 AM
I purchased mine shortly after they were released. I have had no problems whatsoever from mine. This is one of those things that make you go hummmm......

Wireworm5
03-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I have had mine for 15 months and use it everyday. Still works, cross my fingers. I think the disc tray could use oiling but I don't want to take it apart.
The only time I get 'cannot read the disc' is with a bad burn or format it doesn't play. But I'm sure you thought of this.
I hope mine continues to work as I don't have the funds to replace it at this time. But I was interested in getting the new Parasound universal/sacd player that retails for $1,100 if mine ever quits.

Breezer88888
03-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi WW5,

I thought of the "bad burn" problem as well. I used store bought DVDs to be sure. It just came to me that I didn't try music CDs. Not that it will matter because I am sending this back to Sony. As for $1,100 on a universal player? Whether you lean toward Blu-Ray or HD DVD, wouldn't that be more deserving of your $$$? I actually wouldn't mind if Sony gave me a credit toward their PlayStation3 when it comes out. But they'd never go for that. Okay, I'm submitting an exchange request to Sony and keep my fingers crossed. Continued good luck on your players!!
Breezer