Anyone try Pandora.com? The Music Genome Project? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Pandora.com? The Music Genome Project?

Swish
03-26-2006, 02:39 PM
This thing is quite extraordinary. You type in a song or a band and it creates a personal "radio station" with music that is similar in style. I put in Beulah and it first played Hello Resolven, one of their songs, then offered a second one titled "All Two By Two" by Sparrow, which sounded pretty good. Next and it gave "Nerd's Night In" by The Previous, another winner, then "Overcome With Happiness" by the Pernice Brothers, another band I like. There were more, but you get the idea. I'm going to throw some other stuff at it and see what happens, and I'm sure a few of you music nerds will do the same.Let me know what you think.

Below is the article I copied and pasted from their website.

Swish

The Music Genome Project

On January 6, 2000 a group of musicians and music-loving technologists came together with the idea of creating the most comprehensive analysis of music ever.

Together we set out to capture the essence of music at the most fundamental level. We ended up assembling literally hundreds of musical attributes or "genes" into a very large Music Genome. Taken together these genes capture the unique and magical musical identity of a song - everything from melody, harmony and rhythm, to instrumentation, orchestration, arrangement, lyrics, and of course the rich world of singing and vocal harmony. It's not about what a band looks like, or what genre they supposedly belong to, or about who buys their records - it's about what each individual song sounds like.

Over the past 5 years, we've carefully listened to the songs of over 10,000 different artists - ranging from popular to obscure - and analyzed the musical qualities of each song one attribute at a time. This work continues each and every day as we endeavor to include all the great new stuff coming out of studios, clubs and garages around the world.

It has been quite an adventure, you could say a little crazy - but now that we've created this extraordinary collection of music analysis, we think we can help be your guide as you explore your favorite parts of the music universe.

We hope you enjoy the journey.

Tim Westergren
Founder
The Music Genome Project

Slosh
03-26-2006, 03:36 PM
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14828&highlight=Pandora

But I agree it's a pretty cool site. I showed it to my daughter and she uses it a lot.

Dusty Chalk
03-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I effed it up, though. Started off with Calexico, then quickly changed gears and went in a Skinny Puppy direction. They ended up in the same radio station for some reason.

noddin0ff
03-27-2006, 07:07 AM
I've been having a blast with it for about a week. Started of with some Funk by The Meter's and added Medeski, Martin, and Wood. A little training, and I'm getting great stuff new and old that I'd never heard before. From compilations like 'Wheedle's Groove: Seattle's Finest in Funk & Soul 1965-75' to some new Jazz 'Joshua Redman Elastic Band - Momentum'.

Of course, I'm now spending more money on music, so there are dangers when you open Pandora.