Sonic Studios DSM microphone recordings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Studios DSM microphone recordings

teledynepost
03-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I just got a bootleg and the accompanying text file said it was recorded in the following way:
"recorded a few feet from the house right stack

Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L => Sonic Studios PA6LC3 => Sony PCM-M1

DAT master => optical cable => CD => flac 8"

I looked it up and it's some kind of head-worn microphone (<a href="http://www.sonicstudios.com/" target=blank>Sonic Studios Site</a>). Do other companies make anything like this? The recording is just amazing through a pair of good cans. What other kinds of setups can be used to get good quality in an audience recording?

Swish
03-26-2006, 03:27 PM
The recording is just amazing through a pair of good cans. What other kinds of setups can be used to get good quality in an audience recording?

..but I never tried listening to music through them.

Swish
:14:

BradH
03-26-2006, 08:40 PM
What other kinds of setups can be used to get good quality in an audience recording?

Oh man, that's a deep subject. A world unto itself. I've seen some in depth discussions about different mics for audience recordings but I ignored them because I didn't plan to do any of it - just send me the results, I say. A good audience recording beats an average soundboard by a mile.

Dusty Chalk
03-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Do a search on "Dallas Simpson" -- he specializes in binaural recordings (for that matter, do a search on "binaural"). He once told me what kind of mics he uses (they weren't M&K, but they were built to compete with M&K or something -- like an offshoot company?) -- they basically get placed in one's ears, for that "perfect" HRTF.