Sun Kil Moon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sun Kil Moon

Scooter329
01-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Hey all. I'm a newbie poster(I've actually been coming to this sight for info for a month or two but never posted before) and I hope y'all don't mind if I join in on occasion. I'm trying to expand my horizons a bit musically and so I've been reading past posts combing for ideas on new music to try. I'm a twenty-six year old student(yeah still) and I'm trying to venture out of my same old Dave Matthews, Coldplay, etc. rut(I realize that everyone is probably shuddering at these names but what can I say, it's not all I listen too). I'd like to thank y'all for indirectly giving me the names of some different musicians to give a listen to. One of my newer purchases is the Sun Kil Moon cd Ghosts of the Great Highway. I had to search around a bit as I'm not really into online shopping but I found it at a Borders in my area. I've listened to it through a couple of times and I'm really starting to dig it. I heard Kozelek's music described as Neil Young-esque a couple of places so I wasn't too sure about it(nothing against NY but if I want his style I'll get it from him). So far I'm liking Kozelek's style: Carry me Ohio is a good song and I also really like the last song, Pancho Villa I believe. All in all, a pretty good cd start to finish I'd say. Was wondering if anyone had listened to Kozelek's former band Red House Painters? I heard them described as rather depressing? If I like Sun Kil Moon I wonder if I would like them. Anyhow, hope everyone has a good one.

Scooter

audiobill
01-24-2004, 05:20 AM
Welcome aboard, Scooter.

The Red House Painters are one of my absolute faves.

All of their musical output is very good. I am particularly fond of their latest, 2001, effort "Old Ramon". They are definitely worth seeking out.

Btw, I too started on this board by reading the posts and threads for a month and, eventually posted -- that was 4 years ago.

You will find the RaveRec people to be some of the friendliest and most knowledgeable on the net.

Cheers,
audiobill

Finch Platte
01-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Hey all. I'm a newbie poster(I've actually been coming to this sight for info for a month or two but never posted before) and I hope y'all don't mind if I join in on occasion. Scooter

Hiya, Scooter. Thanks for checking in, and welcome to the board. I hope the fact that over 30 people viewed your post and had nothing to say to you doesn't deter you from coming back more often :mad:

I couldn't tell you a damn thing about the bands you mentioned- haven't heard 'em, sorry.

Keep on a-postin'!

fp

Swish
01-24-2004, 08:24 AM
What kind of name is that? Sounds like something you'd call a dog. But if you like it, who am I to judge? :D We could use some new blood around here. I don't think you'll find many DMB fans here, although Cold Play had their moments a couple years ago. I tried watching the DMB Live in Central Park DVD (is that title right?) and the only tune I liked was the cover of Cortez the Killer with Warren Haynes (Allman Brothers Band) on lead guitar. Now that was excellent. Dave really turned me off when he did some kind of scat thing with his voice. I thought it was downright goofy, but his adoring fans didn't seem to mind.

Hey, a buddy of mine has pretty much all the Red House Painters records, but I have just "Songs for a Blue Guitar". I like them just fine, BTW, but I don't have that Sun Kil Moon yet. They've been a hot topic here so I guess I need to pony up and buy the sucker.

Regards,
Swish

tentoze
01-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Hey all. I'm a newbie poster(I've actually been coming to this sight for info for a month or two but never posted before) and I hope y'all don't mind if I join in on occasion. I'm trying to expand my horizons a bit musically and so I've been reading past posts combing for ideas on new music to try. ....... Was wondering if anyone had listened to Kozelek's former band Red House Painters? I heard them described as rather depressing? If I like Sun Kil Moon I wonder if I would like them. Anyhow, hope everyone has a good one.

Scooter
Dive on in here, Scooter. These folks don't usually play too rough.
:p
Sun Kil Moon is absolutely terrific IMO, but I only have limited experience with RHP. I've liked the several cuts I've heard from their various offerings very much, though. There's a BUNCH of super music out there in a similar vein. And a lot of the best of it gets talked about right here on Rave Recs! Just be prepared to drastically increase your cash outlay for toonage. Oh, and lest I ferget, these folks offer up some dang fine comps that can help in exposure to new stuff. Just ask and ye shall receive.

et

DarrenH
01-24-2004, 08:40 AM
Welcome Scooter,

I don't have that Sun Kil Moon CD either. Been interested in it though and haven't been able to find it locally. Guess I'll have to travel to the next town.

I don't like Dave Matthews. I can't get past his voice. Sorry.

Warren Haynes though, and more specifically, Gov't Mule, now that is something to behold. You really should check them out. Well, if you like blues rock that is.

Thanks for dropping in and come back often. New folks are always welcomed.

Darren

Davey.
01-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Hey, welcome Scooter! Hope you have a chance to post a lot more. You know though, since some of us around here are almost twice your age, you should probably be telling us what's new and good!

Anyway, take care and have fun. I do have the Red House Painters 2-disc Retrospective from 1999 and it's pretty good. The first disc is a best of and the second disc is b-sides and rarities. But his later releases are more like the disc you have (from what I've read as I've actually only heard that long Duk song from Sun Kil Moon) so hard to know if you would like the early stuff as much. Personally though, there are many albums and artists I would recommend before getting around to checking out more from Kozelek and RHP, especially if you are interested in doing some exploration......... :)

Stone
01-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Welcome, Scooter.

I do like that Sun Kil Moon album as well, although I haven't spent as much time with it as I'd like. I have two of the RHP albums (it seems like they both might be self-titled - I'm at work right now, so I'm not sure*) and both are very good. Even though they're very good, like Dave, there's a ton of other stuff out there I'd recommend getting before that if you don't have them, like:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc900/c953/c953694bt2t.jpghttp://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/dre500/e545/e54587wllrj.jpghttp://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf900/f954/f95430iv73v.jpg

And the list goes on and on . . .

Stone

*This is a problem with this board. You'll buy and hear so much stuff, soon you won't remember what you have and what you don't.

Slosh
01-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Nothing wrong with Coldplay or DMB. Why these two caught on with mainstream radio but not hundreds and hundreds of other equally good bands is beyond me but you could do a lot worse.

Fire me off a private message with your mailing address and I'll send ya a slew of recent comps with (mostly) indie-bands, no strings. Or not. It's up to you but personally I can't see why some people don't take advantage of the generousity of this little community.

~Slosh

NP: Holopaw - s/t :D

chrisnz
01-24-2004, 12:23 PM
Hi and welcome aboard. I don't have that Sun Kil Moon album although it certainly sounds like something I might like. On the Red House Painters angle I have them all, I think, and my favourite is definitely the self titled with the rollercoaster on the front cover. It's a great album. Depressing? Not really an adequate description. It's emotional with lashings of junkie world weariness but good anyway :-)

Chris.

-Jar-
01-24-2004, 08:38 PM
I threw together an RHP comp a few weeks ago.. if you'd like one, send me an email.. dubman99(at)aol.com welcome aboard!

-jar

Scooter329
01-25-2004, 12:34 AM
:) Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome. I appreciate the offers on the comps but I think I'll hold off for a little bit as I'd like to be able to reciprocate. BTW, my first name is Scott so I guess that's where scooter came from. I don't know who started calling me that in HS, but it followed me to college and has stuck around to this day. Could be worse I guess. Anyway, thanks again and hope everyone has had/is having a good weekend.

Scooter

Swish
01-25-2004, 05:44 AM
:) Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome. I appreciate the offers on the comps but I think I'll hold off for a little bit as I'd like to be able to reciprocate. BTW, my first name is Scott so I guess that's where scooter came from. I don't know who started calling me that in HS, but it followed me to college and has stuck around to this day. Could be worse I guess. Anyway, thanks again and hope everyone has had/is having a good weekend.

Scooter

You really don't have to reciprocate, and certainly not right away. When these guys send you a comp, keep records of their names and addresses so that, when you're ready, you can send them something. I know I've received many more than I've sent, but some of these guys send them without me even requesting one, the bastards! And some of them have to beg people to take them, right Finch? Hey, what are you gonna do? I might have upwards of 100 comps by now, although I haven't actually counted them. Some of us live to share the music that we enjoy, getting loads of satisfaction knowing that you really liked what we sent you, most times being music by artists you've never heard before. Many of my favorites today were introduced to me this way, or from comments/reviews on the borard. Just make sure you express your thanks when you receive a comp, as that's always appreciated, as is a short review on the board after you have a chance to listen a few times. I haven't always done either of these, but I'm a big jerk. :)

And as for your nickname, I also have one that nobody on the board knows about, and it sure ain't Swish. Not that it's bad, it's just that most of my friends and family call me by this name. I didn't want to confuse everyone here by tossing that around since they know me as "Swish" or my real name, Paul. One day I might reveal it if the price is right. :p

Swish

audiobill
01-25-2004, 06:22 AM
You really don't have to reciprocate, and certainly not right away. When these guys send you a comp, keep records of their names and addresses so that, when you're ready, you can send them something. I know I've received many more than I've sent, but some of these guys send them without me even requesting one, the bastards! And some of them have to beg people to take them, right Finch? Hey, what are you gonna do? I might have upwards of 100 comps by now, although I haven't actually counted them. Some of us live to share the music that we enjoy, getting loads of satisfaction knowing that you really liked what we sent you, most times being music by artists you've never heard before. Many of my favorites today were introduced to me this way, or from comments/reviews on the borard. Just make sure you express your thanks when you receive a comp, as that's always appreciated, as is a short review on the board after you have a chance to listen a few times. I haven't always done either of these, but I'm a big jerk. :)

And as for your nickname, I also have one that nobody on the board knows about, and it sure ain't Swish. Not that it's bad, it's just that most of my friends and family call me by this name. I didn't want to confuse everyone here by tossing that around since they know me as "Swish" or my real name, Paul. One day I might reveal it if the price is right. :p

Swish

Hey, Swish.

Can I guess?? Is it Swoosh? Slick? Carguy? Ummmm..... Swishmeister......? Swisheroo??

Am I getting closer? What does it start and end with?

Just having some fun,
Bill he,he,he,he,

Swish
01-25-2004, 06:55 AM
Hey, Swish.

Can I guess?? Is it Swoosh? Slick? Carguy? Ummmm..... Swishmeister......? Swisheroo??

Am I getting closer? What does it start and end with?

Just having some fun,
Bill he,he,he,he,

It has nothing to do with "Swish" either. It's really nothing to be ashamed of and it's actually a fairly common nickname. I just figured it would confuse people since most of the comp traders know my real name and I use Swish on the board. Three names would be overkill IMO, so I'll just leave it at that. Had you made it to New Orleans with us in May, you/d probably hear it since that's the name my wife calls me, along with some others that I can't print here! :D

Swish Baby.

ForeverAutumn
01-26-2004, 05:53 AM
Had you made it to New Orleans with us in May, you/d probably hear it since that's the name my wife calls me, along with some others that I can't print here! :D

Swish Baby.

Oh sure just rub salt in the wound why doncha. :(

Welcome to the neighbourhood Scooter. You're gonna love it here!

Now watching - the best commercial on TV. A Mistubishi ad playing Do You Realize by The Flaming Lips. This is the only commercial in history where I actually turn the volume up. Ooops. It's over. Too short.

Swish
01-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Oh sure just rub salt in the wound why doncha. :(

Welcome to the neighbourhood Scooter. You're gonna love it here!

Now watching - the best commercial on TV. A Mistubishi ad playing Do You Realize by The Flaming Lips. This is the only commercial in history where I actually turn the volume up. Ooops. It's over. Too short.

the first being a Sony commercial that featured Penn & Teller. It's funny how a indy band can't sell many records but has a song used by two very large, very public companyies.

As for New Orleans, keep it in the back of your mind for another year. We plan on going every other year or so, and I'll certainly let everyone know when we're going if they want some company down there. Toronto will be our next destination after that, just make sure it's warm by then, eh hoser? :)

Swish Baby

Mike
01-26-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi Scooter - welcome aboard,

I like the Sun Kil Moon album a lot and it was my introduction to the sounds of Mark Kozolek.

Take Jar up on his offer of his RHP's comp don't be shy, he sent one to me over Christmas (and I'm in the UK!) it's very good and an excellent intro to their sound. After hearing Jar's comp you can decide which albums to go for and like me you will begin to realise the Red House Painters were just a vehicle for Kozolek.

If you hang around here you'll pick up on loads of new music and you will find the folks here extremely generous so don't feel bad about not being able to reciprocate their kindness.

As for the sound of RHP's personally I wouldn't call their music depressing, it's reflective, melancholy, soulful even but never depressing.

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
01-26-2004, 06:20 AM
the first being a Sony commercial that featured Penn & Teller. It's funny how a indy band can't sell many records but has a song used by two very large, very public companyies.

As for New Orleans, keep it in the back of your mind for another year. We plan on going every other year or so, and I'll certainly let everyone know when we're going if they want some company down there. Toronto will be our next destination after that, just make sure it's warm by then, eh hoser? :)

Swish Baby

By the time you get here, the weather will be warm and the beer will be cold. :cool:

Hey, before you book anything in TO, check the Toronto tourism websites for deals. Last year SARS took a huge toll on our tourism and the hospitality industry was running some great deals to try to entice tourists back here. Hotel, meals and a first class play for dirt cheap. I've heard that similar deals will be offered again this summer. I'll let you know if I hear of anything. Oh, and don't forget to bring some extra cash for that Leaf Jersey that I know you're just dying to have. :p

I'm glad to hear that New Orleans isn't a one-time deal. We'll get there eventually!

I've never seen the Sony commercial. I don't think it's being shown here on the north side of the border. Besides, Hubby works for JVC, so I'm not allowed to watch Sony commercials anyway. :rolleyes:

Edit: Hey, I like that JVC has a green link and Sony doesn't. I'll have to let Hubby know. :D