I'm just...ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm just...ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

ForeverAutumn
03-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Listening to some Pink Floyd DSOTM on a lazy Sunday with the house to myself.

What's on your Sunday morning playlist this morning?

Dave918
03-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Got a wild hair and interrupted my planned playlist to wake up the neighborhood.

Burning for Buddy: A Tribute to the Music of Buddy Rich, running full tilt - really gets your blood flowin' on a Sunday morning!

Down Beat (11/94, p.42) - 4 Stars - Very Good - "...Rich regularly performed most of these tunes and arrangements. Now, even with a different drummer on each track, the spirit of his brash, fiery style dominates the album...Hearing some of the rockers play straight-ahead jazz is the biggest revelation..." Jazziz (2/95, p.93) - "...completely unleashed...assembly of today's trap set monsters....inspired, stellar performances...

-dave

Bernd
03-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Grey Sunday Afternoon and controlled hair over here.

Being entertained from the round spot by:

"Bobby Charles - Last Train to Memphis"

followed by

"Tab Benoit - Fever on the Bayou"

let there by tunes

Bernd:16:

Jim Clark
03-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Mason had a confirmation deal that required he visit a budhist temple today so Trevor and I decided to stay home and chill. He's got some Spongebob action going on and I'm playing the Stars album, Set Yourself On Fire, yet again. First off was a bit of Lali Puna's Faking The Books which really set the tone for this bright and sunny Sunday.

Not really sure where this winding day is going to take me. Got to probably do something constructive so maybe I'll grab the portable and the grados and go clean the garage. Maybe I'll dig out some of those old Rainmaker CD's that Bernd has been listening to the past couple of weeks? I think Tornado will be the first up.

jc

Davey
03-26-2006, 08:35 AM
http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/83/4a/1cd8a2c008a04e2b785d2010.L.jpg

Laika Sounds of the Satellites. Mid 90s electro-organic wonderfulness that others are only now catching up to. Spastic, frenetic, playful, melodic and groovy all at the same time. What a combo. Essential, but seems little known outside of music geek circles like this. Close to my favorite of the 90s.

Bernd
03-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Mason had a confirmation deal that required he visit a budhist temple today so Trevor and I decided to stay home and chill. He's got some Spongebob action going on and I'm playing the Stars album, Set Yourself On Fire, yet again. First off was a bit of Lali Puna's Faking The Books which really set the tone for this bright and sunny Sunday.

Not really sure where this winding day is going to take me. Got to probably do something constructive so maybe I'll grab the portable and the grados and go clean the garage. Maybe I'll dig out some of those old Rainmaker CD's that Bernd has been listening to the past couple of weeks? I think Tornado will be the first up.

jc

Good choice "Tornado". My favourite is "Skin", however I like them all. Have you heard Bob's solo effort?

Peace

Jim Clark
03-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Good choice "Tornado". My favourite is "Skin", however I like them all. Have you heard Bob's solo effort?

Peace

Bernd, I'm a Kansas City boy, I've heard them all. Started for me back in about 1984 with Steve, Bob, and Rich playing around KC and Lawrence, KS where I was a student. I've got vinyl, cassettes, boots, demos and of course a CD or 2. Even see Bob occasionally cruising around town on his Vespa.

I've also read that you're a big Stan Ridgway fan. Troy and I are also Ridgway fans from way back in the day. Troy actually trumps me big time actually knowing Stan and working with him. Stan did the introduction to Troy's big time book deal and Stan bought some of Troy's photo's for album covers. Holiday In Dirt is Troy's photography all the way.

Regards,
jc

ForeverAutumn
03-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Burning for Buddy: A Tribute to the Music of Buddy Rich, running full tilt - really gets your blood flowin' on a Sunday morning!

My husband loves that disk! Have you heard Volume 2? We haven't and I'm wondering if it's any good.

Dave918
03-26-2006, 10:10 AM
My husband loves that disk! Have you heard Volume 2? We haven't and I'm wondering if it's any good.

No I haven't listened to Vol 2, but I've been meaning to order it for some time now. Guess it's time :)

CD Universe has it for $9.75. Sounds like a deal to me...sold!

-dave

Swish
03-26-2006, 11:10 AM
...in one night, and I proved it last night. Had a great time anyway, and I had lots of good tunes in the CD changer. Willard Grant - Regard the End, Cat Power - Moon Pics, Loose Fur (thanks again Slosh), British Sea Power - Open Season, and.I can't remember what else.

To make a long story short, I'm not listening to any music today, at least not yet. We were up until about 3 AM, so I'm still in recovery mode.

Swish

tentoze
03-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Ima soul-surfing (and soul-clapping) this AM: Sam Cooke~ Portrait of a Legend

Dave918
03-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Sticking with Jazz this afternoon:

Erin Bode ~ Over and Over

George Kahn ~ Midnight Brew

Madeleine Peyroux ~ Careless Love

-dave

Slosh
03-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Just relaxing with a bit of Grandaddy - Under The Western Freeway in the background.

No music last night. Just good conversation with old friends, some excellent scallop/shrimp fra diavlo, and lots and lots of Bass ale.

Yep, it's the simple things in life that matter most. :)

Dusty Chalk
03-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Madeleine Peyroux ~ Careless Love[/b]I really like that disk. It being Monday, I'm sorta thread carpin', but: Can, Future Days.

Bernd
03-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Bernd, I'm a Kansas City boy, I've heard them all. Started for me back in about 1984 with Steve, Bob, and Rich playing around KC and Lawrence, KS where I was a student. I've got vinyl, cassettes, boots, demos and of course a CD or 2. Even see Bob occasionally cruising around town on his Vespa.

I've also read that you're a big Stan Ridgway fan. Troy and I are also Ridgway fans from way back in the day. Troy actually trumps me big time actually knowing Stan and working with him. Stan did the introduction to Troy's big time book deal and Stan bought some of Troy's photo's for album covers. Holiday In Dirt is Troy's photography all the way.

Regards,
jc

Hi,
That's brilliant. I came across the Rainmakers when they toured over here in support of their Debut album. They played in a very small club, and took the roof off. I met the band afterwards. And when they toured again a couple of years later, Bob remembered and had my name on the Guest list. I just love his song writing and I dearly would love to hear him play his solo stuff in Kansas City. I believe he does play once a week. Is that right?
As for Stan. I came across Wall of Voodoo at the US83 festival and have been captivated ever since. The man is exeptional. As I also like Photograpy I do have a copy of Troy's book and love his use of colour and night time light.It has been an inspiration to me.

Peace

Bernd:5:

Duds
03-27-2006, 07:46 AM
yesterday i listened to some new sacds.

Steely Dan - Gaucho (excellent sound)
Clapton - Slowhand
Clapton - 461 Ocean blvd.
Stevie Ray - Texas Flood
Peter Gabriel - Up

Listening to some Pink Floyd DSOTM on a lazy Sunday with the house to myself.

What's on your Sunday morning playlist this morning?

Troy
03-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks Bernd and Jimmy.

I was watching the races yesterday and was doing Garageband music a few hours.

Jim Clark
03-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks Bernd and Jimmy.

I was watching the races yesterday and was doing Garageband music a few hours.

On the third book run yet?

jc

Dave918
04-03-2006, 04:44 PM

Hey FA, Burning for Buddy Vol II arrived today. If your husband loved Vol. 1, he will flip for Vol. 2. Neil and company really did Buddy proud!

-dave

ForeverAutumn
04-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Hey FA, Burning for Buddy Vol II arrived today. If your husband loved Vol. 1, he will flip for Vol. 2. Neil and company really did Buddy proud!

-dave

Good to hear. Thanks for letting me know Dave! I know it's still a long way away, but I'll put it on the Christmas list for him (his birthday's already passed this year too).