Radio or Sat. listening [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Radio or Sat. listening

Wireworm5
03-24-2006, 11:42 AM
For a change from my music collection I'd thought I'd play some sat. radio today. And driving taxi this week it was nice to listen to background tunes while working.
However being an audiophile these mediums don't do it for me. If I want that last bit of intoxicating resolution I have to use the tried and true cd/dvd, played on my stereo. Compressed music has its place, but it ain't audiophile grade.:)

lomarica
03-24-2006, 01:00 PM
I have posted the group before about satellite music and my basic point while not being to this groups high standards it is definately acceptable. I like the wide selection and find I listen to sat music more and more so much so that I don't even listen to my cd's as much. Part of the reason is to get new music but as stated I do find the music quality acceptable.

topspeed
03-24-2006, 03:05 PM
As background music, it's fine. One of the weirdest things I've noticed is that it seems like some channels have less compression than others :confused: I think Wooch mentioned that both providers are trying to get more bandwidth available so they can ease off the compression rates but as it is now, I have to agree that it can be annoying sometimes. A lot of channels sound like 128 MP3, even on the Bose stereo on my wife's SUV. Thankfully, Real Jazz on XM doesn't sound like it suffers from as much compression as, say...Ethel (alt rock), although I'd like both to sound better than they do.

nightflier
03-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know how digital radio (DAB) compares to XM/Serius?