Sony ES receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony ES receiver

Gee Spoolin
01-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm new on the board. Recently, I was given a 3 years old Sony ES series receiver from my cousin. I'm no audiophile so I need you guys' opinions on it. The model # of the receiver is STR-DA333ES. What do u guys think of this receiver? Anyone have experience with it? And what type of speakers and sub should i get to go with it? Is this a good "beginner" receiver? I'm kinda on a budget so please recommend some speakers/sub to go with this thing. Thanks

TinHere
01-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Welcome Gee Spoolin.

Be happy it's the ES line. It should do a good job, and the price is right. Here's a link to the Review section here if you want to read opinions. It got a 4.36 out of 5.

http://www.audioreview.com/A-V,Receivers/Sony,STR-DA333ES/PRD_118797_2718crx.aspx

What is your speaker budget?

uncooked
01-23-2004, 11:50 PM
just go to a local store that sells home audio, and pick up a nice home theatre in a box. like some polk audio's or some athenas, jbl, something like that. shouldnt cost a whole lot

This Guy
01-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Check out the Athena system at Best Buy. It's suppose to be great for the money. I think its between $500-600 I'm not quite sure.

-Joey

Gee Spoolin
01-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. Actually, my budget is around $200. I know it's not much but I'm willing to get something used. For now I'm just looking to get just a pair of front speakers, and size is not an issue however. I'll head off to Best Buy or The Good Guys to check out some speakers tomorrow. Keep those advice coming, guys :)

TinHere
01-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. Actually, my budget is around $200. I know it's not much but I'm willing to get something used. For now I'm just looking to get just a pair of front speakers, and size is not an issue however. I'll head off to Best Buy or The Good Guys to check out some speakers tomorrow. Keep those advice coming, guys :)

With a plan for a good home theater when you are done, I would recommend checking out the ELT's. You can start with the fronts for $249 + shipping and add to it as funds allow. These speakers have been very well received and offer great value/performance from an internet direct company with outstanding customer service. Here's a link:

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=13

uncooked
01-24-2004, 08:43 PM
also look into quest speakers if they sell them in the states. up here in canada future shop sells them. there a canadian brand. i recently bought some quest towers "qt66" and they sound awsome there dual 6.5 woofers. and they were $150 canadian. they also have the qt88 which is dual 8 inch woofers. then slowly buy the rest of them. qb5 for the rears. and a sub. either a qs8 or qs10 depending on how much bass you want. the centre is only 59 dollars to. and its awsome, and takes alot of power.

Gee Spoolin
01-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Just came back from the mall today and Iike This Guy said, I found that the Athena speakers are quite impressive and offer more quality sound for the money. After some shop around, I nailed down to either the Athena AS-B1 or AS-B2. Which one do u guys think is a better match for the receiver I got? I know the AS-B2's can handle more power, but other than that, does it worth the extra $$$? I understand that Athena is a less well-known brand, so how good are they quality-wise? Please let me know :)

I also tried to check out the the Quest and the ELT, but the sales guy was like ----> :confused: and said they've never heard of the brand. Anyone know which store I can find those?

TinHere
01-25-2004, 06:48 PM
I also tried to check out the the Quest and the ELT, but the sales guy was like ----> :confused: and said they've never heard of the brand. Anyone know which store I can find those?

The ELT's are only available online.

Here's a link:

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=13

uncooked
01-25-2004, 08:09 PM
well i own the athena point 5 speaker set. and they sound awsome. so for what you have i would suggest the as b1 becuase your not feeding them alot of power. the asb2 are bigger and meant for more of a high power stereo sytem.

quest is canadian so i guess there not in the states. to bad. there cheap but sound VERY GOOD.

here is a future shop link to there products. i own most of them and they all sound very good. the bookshelves go on sale for 100 every so often, and the 250 towers go down to 150 all the time. the qs10 sub is very powerful i own that as well. it goes down to 150 fairly often to.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?catid=&mfr=&search=KWS&orgCategory=&Keyword=quest&Category=10&MatchExactPhrase=&SubCategory=%2D2&logon=&langid=EN&dept=10&WLBS=fsweb8&more=true&page=0&newcategory=10