How did you come by your online name? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How did you come by your online name?

nightflier
03-24-2006, 12:09 AM
OK, I'm not sure if this has been the topic of a thread yet, but there are a lot of online names here that must have some hidden meaning or an inside joke. Where did "Sir Terence the Terrible" get his name or what does "Nabstentia" mean? I selected Nightflier 'cause I was listeing to Rush's Fly By Night album when I signed on for the first time.

So why did you select your online name? Or was it selected for you? Just wondering.

Armando
03-24-2006, 02:19 AM
OK, I'm not sure if this has been the topic of a thread yet, but there are a lot of online names here that must have some hidden meaning or an inside joke. Where did "Sir Terence the Terrible" get his name or what does "Nabstentia" mean? I selected Nightflier 'cause I was listeing to Rush's Fly By Night album when I signed on for the first time.

So why did you select your online name? Or was it selected for you? Just wondering.

Brother Nightflier,
Cool thread man!Mines just my name with an 'O' after it, cause it made it mexican and I was doing a mexican character in a play at the time I was registering. Pretty dumb, but, well.....:)

kexodusc
03-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Mine's not cool at all. Way back in the early days of the internet (for me at least, circa 1996), I logged into an on-line sports forum/newsgroup to pass some free time.
I needed a name so the on-line generator took my initials, asked me what my favorite book of the Bible was (I just picked the first that came to mind, never really though what may favorite was) and Lo and Behold...God said, let there be Kexodusc.
God saw the Kexodusc, that it was good.

I've just hung on to it ever since.

Funny enough, I've run into 2 other Kexodusc users in the 10 years since...

Cal Blacksmith
03-24-2006, 05:12 AM
My name says it all.

Armando
03-24-2006, 05:23 AM
My name says it all.
COOL!:cornut: You're a real-life blacksmith! Are you kidding or are you for real? Whaddaya listen to?(Horn?I'm guessing trombone or biugel or summat? You like Fats Walle?)

Worf101
03-24-2006, 05:46 AM
My name was handed down to my Father by the Klingon High Counsel in the Great Hall on the Klingon Home World Kronos... and it has ever been thus...

LOL Actually, I tried to get Worf back in the early days of AOL, you know when they were third behind Compuserve and Prodigy, but it kept saying it was "taken try another". So finally in desperation I added a 101 to the end and have been too lazy to change it ever since. It's kinda like inertia. Once people know you by a handle, it's real hard to shake. Nice thread though...

Da Worfster

Wireworm5
03-24-2006, 06:19 AM
Back in the early 90's I was registering for a hotmail name. I wanted to be Maggot cause I'm basically a slob, but there was none left so I took Wireworm which is the larvae of a beetle, a maggot just the same. I've been Wireworm5 ever since.

Armando
03-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ude......youre a pulp fiction
fan too!!!!!!!!!!!! Put ér there partner
Man, the more I see of this site, the more i love it and the people that visit it!!
Rock on dudes:cornut:

shokhead
03-24-2006, 06:41 AM
I'm a cyclist and years back had a Cannondale with a headshok fork. There ya go,shokhead.

GMichael
03-24-2006, 07:22 AM
It's cool to learn all this about you guys. Sorry to say that mine is just as boring as it looks. It's my name. Duh. But I can share a funny story as to why the G is there.

Once upon a time, in a land far far away. A young boy was born. And although his parents had decided to call him Michael George ......., when the doc asked mom what the name would be, she responded with George Michael. OK, easy mistake. But not only did they not change it, they called him Michael anyhow. So for years, this young man grew up thinking his name was Michael. One day, in junior high, the homeroom teacher called roll for the first day of a new school year. This was the first day for lil' Michael in JR. The teacher yelled out his last name and then George. Lil' Michael starting looking around the room thinking that maybe some long lost relative was in his class. Alas, no one raised their hand. Must be out today. Maybe he'll be in tomorrow. But lil' Michael's name was not called. He asked the teacher why. The teacher proclaimed that he did call his name. See? Here you are. George! Non no, my name is Michael. "Says here that your name is George. " Lil' Michael looked the teacher in the eye, and said, "How stupid do I look? Don't you think I know my own name?" Imagine my surprise.

JohnMichael
03-24-2006, 07:55 AM
George Michael weren't you arrested once? I read about it in the tabloids.

My name is simply my first and middle names. After all SpankingVanillaIce was already taken.

GMichael
03-24-2006, 08:14 AM
George Michael weren't you arrested once? I read about it in the tabloids.

My name is simply my first and middle names. After all SpankingVanillaIce was already taken.

Three times. But who's counting?

He's gone. Doesn't even post on his own site anymore. Maybe he moved in with the mystery guy.

noddin0ff
03-24-2006, 08:18 AM
I was tired, imagine that! Chose mine when Yahoo launched free email. Back then you couldn't choose capital letters in your name so I used a zero. Haven't run into another yet.

dean_martin
03-24-2006, 08:41 AM
When I first found this site back in '99 or '00, I was at the tail end of a lounge music phase supplemented by old b-movies with groovy soundtracks like Dean Martin's Matt Helm flicks (kind of a poor man's James Bond). I picked a song title first - that'samore - but when the AR system changed and I had to register, AR wouldn't take the apostrophe in my screen name so I had to change it. One of my sons was in the habit of using "_", which he called "underscore", in all his passwords and onscreen monikers. I chose Dean Martin because it was a natural change from that'samore. Then I thought dean underscore martin had a nice ring to it.

Kam
03-24-2006, 09:33 AM
mine's boring... its a nickname of mine, basically a shorter version of my full name.
dull.

Resident Loser
03-24-2006, 09:45 AM
...when TtT was simply Terrence and Norb ruled the roost, I was not yet the loser I was to become...This place wasn't all warm and fuzzy like it is now...it was a digital Dodge City...you couldn't say kumquat and not get involved in a flame war...Oh! the fun we had...Nomex undies anyone? RGA? Florian? Childs play...JR, mtrycrafts and Eyespy...now you're talkin"...

Some of us used erudite and somewhat sophisticated banter in these exchanges, while others, er...shall we say those less enabled, relied on barnyard language and school-yard name calling as was befitting of their station and abilities...

One such useless piece-of-protoplasm, who would oftimes engage me, constantly used the term loser, as though such simpletonian tactics would have some sort of effect on my ability to respond...consequently I chose to adopt my current nom de QWERTY as a self-deprecating and pre-emptive measure...The rationale being: If I refer to myself as a loser, what can you possibly say that would further demean me?

I mean I could have used "Stinking_steaming_pile_of_$h!t" as a moniker, but (a) It's too long (b) The powers that be (or at least their software) might take exception to it and (c) Using non-alphanumeric characters tends to reduce the intended effect IMO.

jimHJJ(...and now you know the rest of the story...)

nightflier
03-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Someone said this thread should include why people choose their pic. After all, mine does not have anything to do with a white owl.

I chose Clint, 'cause I'm a big fan of spaghetti Westerns, and he epitomizes the genre. And also because I'm impressed with the movies he's done since: Pale Rider, Unforgiven, Bloodwork, Million Dollar Baby, etc.; although Honky Tonk, Bridges, and Rookie... could have gone straight to video, or the recycle bin, IMO.

paul_pci
03-25-2006, 12:42 AM
PCI are the initials of my father's company and I find when I need to come up with a screen name for this or that, it's not taken, and of course, easy for me to remember.

paul_pci
03-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Mine's not cool at all. Way back in the early days of the internet (for me at least, circa 1996), I logged into an on-line sports forum/newsgroup to pass some free time.
I needed a name so the on-line generator took my initials, asked me what my favorite book of the Bible was (I just picked the first that came to mind, never really though what may favorite was) and Lo and Behold...God said, let there be Kexodusc.
God saw the Kexodusc, that it was good.

I've just hung on to it ever since.

Funny enough, I've run into 2 other Kexodusc users in the 10 years since...

Trippy…I never noticed exodus in your name before. For some reason, I saw "usc" and thought maybe he went there. Now I see the light. No more shell fish for me.

Feanor
03-25-2006, 07:46 AM

I'm lover of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarilian, etc.. Feanor is a character from the Silmarilian; a leader of Elves and a brilliant but flawed artist, craftsman, and inventor.

JohnMichael
03-25-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm lover of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarilian, etc.. Feanor is a character from the Silmarilian; a leader of Elves and a brilliant but flawed artist, craftsman, and inventor.

I am also a lover of those works. I have read the trilogy more times than I would care to admit. I am sad when it ends because I get so involved with the characters. Good choice for an online name.

cam
03-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Mine is pretty simple, it's my son's name. He's by far my best pal (in the whole wide world) so I stole his identity. My real name is Steve. My avatar is a snickering dog. My son liked it because it moved, so I used it. You would almost think my son was the boss. Well, he likes to think so sometimes.

anamorphic96
03-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Mine is a term used in film projection. It is a lens which magnifies by a factor of two in the horizontal plane. It is used to unsqueeze the image on a CinemaScope film back to it's original aspect ratio of 2.35:1

The 96 represents the year I started in the cinema industry and started projection training. I still can't believe it's been ten years. My how the years fly by.

nightflier
03-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Feanor,

I hope this is not a reference to his fiery, vengeful spirit. Or maybe there is a Nerdanel around to even things out?

topspeed
03-27-2006, 02:55 PM
It's not a moniker, it's a lifestyle. I'm a gearhead first, an audio guy second. If it has wheels and a motor, I'm all over it. From mod'd 996 tt's to race prepped crotch rockets, I'm into it. No rice tho, thank you. These days, two young 'uns combined with the reality that I don't like my knees in my chest all day anymore have forced the sale of my bikes. However, though I am more cautious, I'm not dead. Therefore, there are two child's seats in the back of my M3 whereas I promptly answer the calls from the Captain (i.e. my 4 yr old) when he orders, "Engage Hyperdrive!"

The pic is an unfettered M3 at speed.

Trippy…I never noticed exodus in your name before. For some reason, I saw "usc" and thought maybe he went there. You're not alone. I asked KC the same question a few years ago.

Oh yeah, Fight On!

GMichael
03-27-2006, 04:59 PM
It's not a moniker, it's a lifestyle. I'm a gearhead first, an audio guy second. If it has wheels and a motor, I'm all over it. From mod'd 996 tt's to race prepped crotch rockets, I'm into it. No rice tho, thank you. These days, two young 'uns combined with the reality that I don't like my knees in my chest all day anymore have forced the sale of my bikes. However, though I am more cautious, I'm not dead. Therefore, there are two child's seats in the back of my M3 whereas I promptly answer the calls from the Captain (i.e. my 4 yr old) when he orders, "Engage Hyperdrive!"

The pic is an unfettered M3 at speed.

You're not alone. I asked KC the same question a few years ago.

Oh yeah, Fight On!

We used to call you guys motorheads back in the day. My bro-in-law was a motorhead. He used to race his POS Nova down at Raceway Park. Well, it just looked like a POS. He had it up to 800hp. Still looked like crap though.

topspeed
03-27-2006, 05:17 PM
800hp! :yikes:

How could you tell what it looked like besides a blur?!

GMichael
03-27-2006, 05:34 PM
800hp! :yikes:

How could you tell what it looked like besides a blur?!

It didn't seem any faster than the others running 11's.

Edit: But I got to see it sitting still in his driveway, up on a lift, with oil dripping out.

KaiWinters
03-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Kai is the first name of a favorite character in the "Battletech" science fiction novels. I also played the online computer game "Mechwarrior" for close to 8 years.
Winters is one of the revered "clan names" of the Nova Cats Clan in Battletech lore and the name I chose after defeating three opponents in battle while I was in the Nova Cats...close to five years.
It became a name I favor and has many memories tied to it.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-28-2006, 11:26 AM
In the good old days I wasn't very nice to some of the posters that were around at the time. As a result of my unkindness, I was given this ball and chain for a name by Dr Boom himself Richard Greene who visits every now and then. I have since had therapy and now you are seeing the new kindler gentler Sir Terrence.

swwdts
03-28-2006, 09:24 PM
My forum name is from my name & my favorite digital company/set up. Which is dts. THX is great too but,some of their new sound set up is 7.1.To where the dts is 6.1 ( dts- es ) .

L.J.
03-29-2006, 06:47 AM
Well mine is.........I just.........oh just forget it!

GMichael
03-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Well mine is.........I just.........oh just forget it!

Long Joystick?

L.J.
03-29-2006, 07:14 AM
Long Joystick?

Loooongest Joystick

topspeed
03-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I have since had therapy and now you are seeing the new kindler gentler Sir Terrence.Either that or you got laid.

I dunno. I like old TtT better. We need Lexie back!

GMichael
03-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Either that or you got laid.

The last time I saw Lexie was when Worf threw what was left of him through a 12th story window. Without opening the window. Wasn't pretty.

03-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Either that or you got laid.

You just want to see me act a foo. I must resist, I must resist, I must resist.....were is my medication!!!!!!!

03-30-2006, 10:34 AM
The last time I saw Lexie was when Worf threw what was left of him through a 12th story window. Without opening the window. Wasn't pretty.

Hey!!, I was the one who threw the little outdated, no printing, no nothing, fake son of a network printer out of the window.

GMichael
03-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey!!, I was the one who threw the little outdated, no printing, no nothing, fake son of a network printer out of the window.

Refresher..........
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=16518&page=2&highlight=WINDOW

But it was an easy mistake Sir.

03-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Refresher..........
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=16518&page=2&highlight=WINDOW

But it was an easy mistake Sir.

Okay, but I was the one who broke him into small pieces so Worf could throw him out the window. It was a tag team event!

GMichael
03-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Okay, but I was the one who broke him into small pieces so Worf could throw him out the window. It was a tag team event!

Tag team? hahahaa there was a line forming around the building.

Kaboom
03-31-2006, 02:34 PM
okay then, i'll bite.
as with many people, my first handle came about when i got an email adress. I was big into programming back then (about 8 years ago... damn...) and i was toying with the idea of making a mailbomber (an idea which got discarded not long afterwards) and the best-known one used to be a little program called "kaboom".
there u go. unimaginative, boring. but such is the way of life. Till u slap on them music disks, that is...

Feanor
04-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Feanor,

I hope this is not a reference to his fiery, vengeful spirit. Or maybe there is a Nerdanel around to even things out?

I forgot about this thread for a while, but thanks for your comment.

Well, I'm not exactly Feanor, though I'm fiery at times but not vengful. :o My wife isn't exactly Nerdanel, either.