Other placement tips? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Other placement tips?

paulo m
03-23-2006, 08:20 PM
I recently bought my first set of planars (they are curved, so not really planar in the strictest sense :wink5:) and have yet to witness the 'blooming' of their sound--the system is still being broken-in.

I am wondering if a certain mushy- or muddy-ness in the sound is due to their placement: They are placed centered on the long wall of a room that is some 8m x 5m, 2.1m apart and the panels are 90cm away from the wall. The room has little furniture, hardwood floors and is, I imagine, brighter than it should be for music listening. On the opposite side of the speakers (i.e. at the back of the listening position, which is 2.6m from the speakers) is one of the openings of the room, a large corridor as wide as the distance between the speakers and that leads to other rooms, so one cannot say there is a back wall. Also, as can be inferred from this description, the side walls are quite distant from the speakers. The ceiling is of, I guess, ordinary plaster (or whatever it is), with those common fairly dense little bumps.

I have thought about several ways to improve the sound: Get some tall plants or diffusor panels for the front-wall; get reflective or a mix of portable panels to place on the sides (I read this can improve imaging and actually widen the stage beyond the distance between the speakers), to compensate for the large width of the room, although I seem to remember something about no side walls at all being preferable; get an absorptive portable panel to be placed some distance behind the listening position, so that sound does not propagate into the corridor and eliminate some of the reverberation that the corridor is likely to contribute.

Do these improvements make sense? What is the ideal positioning for this kind of speaker? What sort of room treatments should I be looking into to make these speakers sing?

Thanks,
//p

JoeE SP9
03-25-2006, 09:52 AM
What kind (make/model) are your speakers? Can you post a diagram of your room?:cool:

paulo m
03-25-2006, 04:28 PM
What kind (make/model) are your speakers? Can you post a diagram of your room?:cool:

MartinLogan Vantage (they're listed on my profile). Here's the diagram of the room: http://www.dmethods.com/images/room_diagram.jpg

//p

Florian
03-26-2006, 04:41 PM
I'll look into it also, but now its time to sleep.

So tomorrow :-)