looking to upgrade from Grado SR-80s. suggestions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : looking to upgrade from Grado SR-80s. suggestions?

Kaboom
03-21-2006, 03:08 PM
mmmkay so i finally got a decent headphone amp, and i am now considering the possibility of upgrading my headphones.
SO! any suggestions? what will i gain over my SR-80s by going with a model higher up the grado scale, or going to another brand?
Any suggestions? I'd like to keep this under 300 bucks if possible. and used is not a problem.
cheers!

manhattanproj
03-23-2006, 07:18 PM
sennheiser hd580/600/650 are usually the benchmark of hi-fi, so you might want to check them out. 580 and 600 should be within your price range, 650 may cost more for new. there are other headphones too, it all depends on what you are looking for.

personally i am not a big fan of grados because they look pretty ugly and i heard that they aren't the most comfortable phones in the world. but i also heard that their sq is pretty good. if you really like the sounds of grado, then you may want to go higher up on the grado line. btw the one that most grado fan salivate over is the rs-1.

Mr Peabody
03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I second the Sennheiser. I listened to Grado, even up to the 125's and I didn't think they were as good as my AKG's I was replacing. I took the AKG's into the shop so I'd have a reference to compare. Not finding what I was looking for in town I ordered a pair of HD600's to try and they were vastly superior to the Grado's in my opinion. In fact, I have yet to hear any headphones that come close. A friend of mine tried out the Bose headphones and I took my HD600's over to his house for a listen and he said the Senn's killed the Bose, he seemed to be very impressed with the 600's.

The thing you might want to consider about Sennheiser is they are open back which means they leak a lot of sound into the room. Looking back the HD580's, I also have, were a good choice for sound quality with my little Onkyo receiver in the bedroom but not ideal for the job as they tended to annoy my wife when she was trying to sleep.

Armando
03-24-2006, 01:52 AM
Bro-
Don't make another upgrade with the grados unless you're willing to pay 700$ for the rs1or youll waste money on all their models, liking the next more and more until you eventually get to the rs1's.
So i'll give you a bit of advice.....Stretch your budget by a hundred $ and purchase the AKG 701. It is, in my opinion, the worlds second best dynamic headphone and headroom itself has implied that theese are their fav. Trust me on this and you wont be needing a pair for a long LONG time.TRUST ME.
ROCK ON!
:5:

manhattanproj
03-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Bro-
Don't make another upgrade with the grados unless you're willing to pay 700$ for the rs1or youll waste money on all their models, liking the next more and more until you eventually get to the rs1's.
So i'll give you a bit of advice.....Stretch your budget by a hundred $ and purchase the AKG 701. It is, in my opinion, the worlds second best dynamic headphone and headroom itself has implied that theese are their fav. Trust me on this and you wont be needing a pair for a long LONG time.TRUST ME.
ROCK ON!
:5:

is akg 701 the one you currently own?

nightflier
03-24-2006, 03:44 PM
I would also spend some time trying them on, especially if you wear glasses. I've been a Sennheiser fan for years, but couldn't stand the way they pressed my glasses on my temples during extended listing sessions. Since I couldn't (and still can't) afford the AKG 1000's, I'm now using earbuds, which really weren't my first choice.

If you don't wear glasses, then consider yourself lucky.

Armando
03-25-2006, 11:14 AM
is akg 701 the one you currently own?
MHP Dude,
lets not get into how many pairs of headphones I have access to......
But yeah, I own them and the rs1's and loads others, so my advice is pretty much backed. I dont know nuthin of speakers and have a pretty ok rig there, but i'm usually right with headphones. Boy, talk about modesty:cornut: