Today's 'music moment' [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Today's 'music moment'

Chip_B
01-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Back before I got old, I used to listen to bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top at levels as loud as my ears could stand and just revel in pure, unadulterated Southern-fried boogie. Unfortunately, I rarely do any Southern Rockin' these days and all those good ol' boy anthems that used to have me furiously air-guitarin' back when I was in my twenties and thirties have been tucked quietly away in their covers for a looooong time.

About an hour ago, I grabbed my 'Best of the Outlaws' CD to listen to on a trip to Home Depot to pick up materials for a home project. On the way back, 'Green Grass and High Tides' cranked up and when Billy and Hughie let it rip, I kicked back and went with 'em. Before I knew it, I had the volume in my Altima pushed up to 27, both windows down, and my fingers pickin' out the notes on the steering wheel. I'll be damned if 20 years didn't melt away in those few blissful minutes.

After the last notes faded, I skipped ahead to 'Hurry Sundown' and it was still playing when I pulled into the driveway. I sat in the car and listened to the rest of it, still 'in the moment'.

Anyway, I haven't had that much <i>fun</i> listening to music in ages and it really made my day. Just thought I'd share.

-Chip

Finch Platte
01-23-2004, 06:15 PM
I had the volume in my Altima pushed up to 27

-Chip

27??? You shoulda gotten a Protege. They go up to 31.

fp

dld
01-23-2004, 06:23 PM
I've had a few moments like that when music took me back to another place and time. Its done other things too,

I remember one period in time, quite awhile back, where Kathy and I were just picking at each other, both in bad moods, and getting worse. It had gone on for a day or two and we were headed for an explosion. Damned if I could remember anything in particular that started it.

On about the third night, I cued up Fleetwood Mac's Rumours on the Dual 1249 and turned the old Sony receiver up to 11. That was an album with HUGE memories attached to it. After about the third or fourth song on side 1, Kathy came in, sat down beside me, and just melted. It was like the previous 2 or 3 days and nights had never existed.

Anyone tells you music doesn't have the power to heal doesn't have a clue.

Chip_B
01-23-2004, 07:30 PM
27??? You shoulda gotten a Protege. They go up to 31.

fp
I didn't have it turned up as high as it would go, since '27' was incredibly friggin' <i><b>loud</i></b> to these 50-year old ears.:eek:

Chip_B
01-23-2004, 07:38 PM
I've had a few moments like that when music took me back to another place and time. Its done other things too,

I remember one period in time, quite awhile back, where Kathy and I were just picking at each other, both in bad moods, and getting worse. It had gone on for a day or two and we were headed for an explosion. Damned if I could remember anything in particular that started it.

On about the third night, I cued up Fleetwood Mac's Rumours on the Dual 1249 and turned the old Sony receiver up to 11. That was an album with HUGE memories attached to it. After about the third or fourth song on side 1, Kathy came in, sat down beside me, and just melted. It was like the previous 2 or 3 days and nights had never existed.

Anyone tells you music doesn't have the power to heal doesn't have a clue.
Absolutely true. I had a very similar experience some years back with a mix tape I'd made for my (now ex-) spousal unit. She was seriously pissed off and not speaking to me over some dumbass thing I'd done and to try to ease the tension, I put on her favorite tape. Before the first tune had finished (Robert Plant's 'Big Log'), her anger was gone.

DarrenH
01-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Back before I got old, I used to listen to bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top at levels as loud as my ears could stand and just revel in pure, unadulterated Southern-fried boogie. Unfortunately, I rarely do any Southern Rockin' these days and all those good ol' boy anthems that used to have me furiously air-guitarin' back when I was in my twenties and thirties have been tucked quietly away in their covers for a looooong time.

About an hour ago, I grabbed my 'Best of the Outlaws' CD to listen to on a trip to Home Depot to pick up materials for a home project. On the way back, 'Green Grass and High Tides' cranked up and when Billy and Hughie let it rip, I kicked back and went with 'em. Before I knew it, I had the volume in my Altima pushed up to 27, both windows down, and my fingers pickin' out the notes on the steering wheel. I'll be damned if 20 years didn't melt away in those few blissful minutes.

After the last notes faded, I skipped ahead to 'Hurry Sundown' and it was still playing when I pulled into the driveway. I sat in the car and listened to the rest of it, still 'in the moment'.

Anyway, I haven't had that much <i>fun</i> listening to music in ages and it really made my day. Just thought I'd share.

-Chip

Both windows down you say. Man, I can only dream of doing that now. Well, I could, but I would be freezing my ass off. And I'd look pretty funny doing that around here anyway. I mean, most folks wouldn't give a rip, but they would wonder what kind of idiot I was.

Hey, that Outlaws disc is great. I'm assuming it's the 16 track 1996 release. There was an earlier greatest hits release that featured only 8 tracks and included a couple of live tunes. Not nearly as good as the newer thing. Anyway.....

Just got the new Jonny Lang - Long Time Coming. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Take care Chip

Darren

Chip_B
01-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Both windows down you say. Man, I can only dream of doing that now. Well, I could, but I would be freezing my ass off. And I'd look pretty funny doing that around here anyway. I mean, most folks wouldn't give a rip, but they would wonder what kind of idiot I was.

Hey, that Outlaws disc is great. I'm assuming it's the 16 track 1996 release. There was an earlier greatest hits release that featured only 8 tracks and included a couple of live tunes. Not nearly as good as the newer thing. Anyway.....

Just got the new Jonny Lang - Long Time Coming. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Take care Chip

DarrenYep, it's the 16 track remastered version. As for driving with the windows down, I wasn't exactly warm, but I'll certainly take the low 50s in Tampa Bay over the brutal weather up in Michigan.

Thanks for reminding me about the new Jonny Lang. It's on my 'short' list.

-Chip

audiobill
01-24-2004, 05:32 AM
Hey, Chip.

Thanks for sharing your "moment". It's truly amazing what music can do!! I, too, had a similar moment over Christmas. It was a DVD moment.

I put on the second disc from the Led Zeppelin boxed set and I cranked it way up.

After a few moments I was transported back in time to when I was 15 years old and used to go to a local movie theatre, the Roxy, in Toronto, once a month with a group of my chums and we'd re-watch "The Song Remains the Same".

The beauty, of course, of this new DVD boxed set is that the picture is clearer, the sound is improved, and at 42 years of age, I can still crank 'dat volume. Of course, my two daughters think I'm nuts (in a cute sort of way).

Cheers,
Bill