South Park vs. Scientology [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : South Park vs. Scientology

kexodusc
03-21-2006, 05:05 AM
Wow. I always get a kick out of Hollywood cat-fights. The latest one is hilarious. What a ridiculous turn of events.

First, Isaac Hayes quits the show, citing his personal issues with the show's relentless attack on religions. Now CNN is suggesting Tom Cruise used all his clout to force Comedy Central to abandon airing a show about Scientology...

I love Stone and Parker's comment:

"So, Scientology, you have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for Earth has just begun.

"Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

As a long time fan of this show, I find this whole development sad. I imagine there isn't a human being alive who hasn't been "attacked" by this show attempts at comedy at one point or another. I had no problem with the shows about Native Americans (my mom's family), and I've always loved the stupid depictioni of Canadians (my father was born in Canada before moving to North Dakota to join the US Air Force). I've always felt these things should be judged by intention. I don't believe the inent was to hurt, just to provide satirical entertainment. In which case, we're all targets. But I can respect that there's always a question about where that proverbial "line" is, and when is it crossed.

I can also respect Mr. Hayes decision to leave the show. Standing up for what you believe in is fine where I come from. I find it to be somewhat hypocritical , but where all only human.

Hayes told the AP:
"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins. Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored. As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

Matt Stone countered pretty sharply though:

"This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

OUCH!!! That may be going a bit too far...A bit of bad blood perhaps? Well, sometimes the truth hurts. Still, Stone should just respect Hayes' decision and get over it. If he's had a sincere change of heart fine, if he's just decided he's got enough money and doesn't want to be on the receiving end, well, that's his business, but his choice to make.

It's a shame Mr. Hayes great talents are no longer available to the show. Chef was a terrific character.

dean_martin
03-21-2006, 07:38 AM
It's a shame Mr. Hayes great talents are no longer available to the show. Chef was a terrific character.

The ads on Comedy Central for the new season last night went something like this: One of South Park's favorite citizens returns. There's a knock at the door and it's Chef with his trademark "Hello, children." I guess these epsiodes were already in the can? Did Hayes quit before the end of the new season? How many episodes are left w/Chef? Inquiring minds want to know.

kexodusc
03-21-2006, 07:59 AM
The ads on Comedy Central for the new season last night went something like this: One of South Park's favorite citizens returns. There's a knock at the door and it's Chef with his trademark "Hello, children." I guess these epsiodes were already in the can? Did Hayes quit before the end of the new season? How many episodes are left w/Chef? Inquiring minds want to know.

Well, it wouldn't be all that hard with today's technology to keep making episodes with Chef. We have enough of Hayes' dialogue recorded to keep going forward, I think. And I'm sure there's a few people out there that could mimmick Chef's voice. Wouldnt' be the first time.

Kam
03-21-2006, 09:02 AM

Because they can make their episodes so fast (6 days) they actually redid the opening episode as a direct response to this controversy. According to a comedy central press release:
"The triumphant homecoming of school chef Jerome McElroy. While Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman are thrilled to have their old friend back, they notice that something about Chef seems different. When Chef's strange behavior starts getting him in trouble, the boys pull out all stops to save him."

emaidel
03-22-2006, 09:46 AM
I have a deep and abiding hatred for Scientology, refusing to accept it as a "religion," and instead believe it to be the "cult of greed" Time magazine blasted it for being in a well-documented, front page story on the cult in the 80's. Scientology's army of lawyers sued Time, and lost on each and every account, as the article was extensively researched, and entirely truthful. For Scientology, "truth hurts."

That Scientology received tax-exempt status is, to me, a severe travesty of justice, since all of the "church's" teachings have nothing whatsoever to do with a belief in a Higher Power, or God, but rather, preach pseudo-scientific gobbledy gook about such nonsense as "engrams," "Thetans," and other such crap. What sort of religion threatens those who leave it with violence and other equally vicious retaliatory acts?

There is a website called, "operationclambake.com" that is a dedicated anti-Scientology site, devoted to exposing the cult's practices and its claims to be a relgious organization. It is worth looking into if one isn't familiar with the practices of this abominable sect.

I am a fan of "South Park," but feel that occasionally our two boys do go a bit too far. I nevertheless applaud each and every comment they've issued in response to Isaac Hayes' hypocritical stance in explaining his departure from the show. Also, the Scientology episode is available online, but I've not yet been able to successfully download it. I was able, however, to read the entire dialog, and have to admit it was genuinely hilarious.

Scientology's prime spokesperson ("spokes-idiot" may be the better term) is, of course, Tom Cruise, who made a total ass of himself on nationwide television with his tirade against Brook Shields, and his (and Scientology's) take on psychiatry as a curse on humanity. There's also another interesting website - "tomcruiseisnuts.com" - that's genuinely worth looking at.

So, that's my take. Religious cults frighten me with their awesome power over those duped by their venomous teachings, and Scientology is at the top of the heap.

GMichael
03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Hayes told the AP:
"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins. Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored."

I agree with this. It's MY religous belief is that I should be free to burn cookies in my home. But, I'm not.

Kam
03-23-2006, 06:47 AM
i really liked the episode. thought the eulogy at the end pretty much was their summation of everything.

noddin0ff
03-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Commentary on the episode from the NY times...
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/24/arts/television/24chef.html?8dpc

JoeE SP9
03-25-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm going to start my own religion. "Audiology" If you don't respect it I'll cut your ears off.:cool:

JeffKnob
03-28-2006, 11:30 AM
It was a hilarious epidsode. Scientologists just need to get over themselves and try to have a sense of humor. I laugh at all kinds of things I do and will also laugh when shows or other people make jokes about myself or something I believe in. It makes life much more enjoyable when it isn't taken so seriously.