last week i built the br-1 kit [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : last week i built the br-1 kit

MomurdA
03-20-2006, 03:53 PM
And it sounds great! The speakers themselves are much bigger than i imagined them to be. And that tweeter, wow that one sounds really good. Really clean sound, even playing mp3s through them. It also goes quite low for a bookshelf speaker. Only bad thing i didnt get the f clips or screws in my package, but a trip to ace fixed that.

kexodusc
03-20-2006, 05:11 PM
And it sounds great! The speakers themselves are much bigger than i imagined them to be. And that tweeter, wow that one sounds really good. Really clean sound, even playing mp3s through them. It also goes quite low for a bookshelf speaker. Only bad thing i didnt get the f clips or screws in my package, but a trip to ace fixed that.

Another satisfied customer.
I'm impressed with that speaker everytime I hear it. I've built a few speakers using that tweeter and those line of woofers. Excellent sound for not a lot of money.

MomurdA
03-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Now i know i need subwoofer, and since i just got a pe catalog with my kit, i noticed those reference series subwoofers, and thinking perhaps i want to use one of those. I also would like to build another 2-way; using either some of the newer dayton ref series woofers, and the tweeter that goes with them. I just cant figure out if the 7 or 8 inch will be able to cross-over at 2k hz or possibly a bit higher. still have a bit o learnin to do. I just ordered the loudspeaker design cookbook though. I think i have found a new hobby

kexodusc
03-21-2006, 04:37 AM
Now i know i need subwoofer, and since i just got a pe catalog with my kit, i noticed those reference series subwoofers, and thinking perhaps i want to use one of those. I also would like to build another 2-way; using either some of the newer dayton ref series woofers, and the tweeter that goes with them. I just cant figure out if the 7 or 8 inch will be able to cross-over at 2k hz or possibly a bit higher. still have a bit o learnin to do. I just ordered the loudspeaker design cookbook though. I think i have found a new hobby

Excellent choice for a first book. Those woofers I believe can crossover at around 2K, but you'll need a good tweeter to work with them, and a steep crossover. Luckily the reference tweeter is up to the task.

There's tons of projects out there using those drivers. I'm sure you can find something and tailor it to your tastes.

noddin0ff
03-21-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm thinking I might try the BR-1 kit this summer as a first timer, but just out of curiousity, Kex, do you have any opinions on their other kits? If its not any harder to do another kit, I might think about going up a notch if the value is there? Thoughts?

kexodusc
03-21-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm thinking I might try the BR-1 kit this summer as a first timer, but just out of curiousity, Kex, do you have any opinions on their other kits? If its not any harder to do another kit, I might think about going up a notch if the value is there? Thoughts?

I haven't heard all the kits. The Dayton Aluminum, Peerless/Morel, and Vifa ones are all pretty good though. Value wise, well, if you're buying the cabinets, they're pretty expensive. Still much better than commercial offerings of the same money, but you could knock $100 - $200 off the kit prices building your own cabinets.

There's lots of good kit designs out there. Difficulty wise, if you can read, and solder, none of them are all that tough. Most people with soldering experience find the cabinets the biggest obstacle since they don't do much woodworking, and most woodworkers don't solder. Soldering is easier than building cabinets though.

If you buy the cabinets (which are beautifully finished and great quality BTW) you only need to solder and assemble. You could do it in under an hour or so.

From there, it's just finding a kit that meets your budget and subjective expectations. The Aluminum MTM designs sound phenomenal, especially at moderate volumes. They're probably my favorite "kit".

There's hundreds of designs out there that use pre-fab cabinets that are actually much better IMO than the pre-packaged kits Parts Express sells. You'd just buy all the parts and follow instructions...not a kit per se, but no more difficult.

traut
04-16-2006, 02:36 PM
There's hundreds of designs out there that use pre-fab cabinets that are actually much better IMO than the pre-packaged kits Parts Express sells. You'd just buy all the parts and follow instructions...not a kit per se, but no more difficult.

Hey Kex,

Would you mine listing a few of your favorites, when you have a moment.

Thanks!
traut

kexodusc
04-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Hey Kex,

Would you mine listing a few of your favorites, when you have a moment.

Thanks!
traut

Sure, check out most of the designs here:
http://www.zaphaudio.com/

a few here:
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/homeaudio.html

and this one gets rave reviews:
http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/DaytonRS7/Cryolite.htm

You'd have to search some web forums to find more, a lot of people use the cabinets from PE/Madisound. This should get you started however.