History of Violence [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : History of Violence

Groundbeef
03-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Has anyone else seen this piece of crap? Talk about stilted dialoge, awkward acting, and just plain poor scripting and writing. Excuse me if you liked it, but I thought it was awful.

It was no Natural Born Killers, but the violence was not even done well. Yes, there was plenty of it, but it was in a grade B horror kind of way. Not at all what I was expecting.

Anyone else?

paul_pci
03-19-2006, 01:02 PM
I'll agree with you on this one. It looked promising and independent-ish, so I went to go see it. I didn't think it was an utter piece of crap, but it certainly did not live up to any of the praise it was getting. The story was: yeah, so? and the play out of the plot was: is the really happening? I found it to be a real letdown.

kexodusc
03-19-2006, 01:58 PM
I'll agree with you on this one. It looked promising and independent-ish, so I went to go see it. I didn't think it was an utter piece of crap, but it certainly did not live up to any of the praise it was getting. The story was: yeah, so? and the play out of the plot was: is the really happening? I found it to be a real letdown.

I just finished watching this and was about to post a warning...then I saw someone beat me to it.

This movie was terrible.:incazzato:

Groundbeef
03-19-2006, 04:05 PM
The writing was absolutly C-Team material.

I almost wet myself when the son asks his dad "If I go to the sheriff are you going to put out a 'hit' on me?"

Where did they come up with that stiff. He couldn't deliver a line to save himself. And don't get me started on Vigo. What a let down from LOTR to that piece of crap.

paul_pci
03-19-2006, 09:11 PM
I just finished watching this and was about to post a warning...then I saw someone beat me to it.

This movie was terrible.:incazzato:

Consider yourself lucky; I paid top dollar to see this at the Cineramadome.

kexodusc
03-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Ok, you uhhh...win. :confused5:

Hope the popcorn was good, at least. I'm a little miffed...the jerk at Blockbuster told me it was a great film, and those freakin' commercial's cite it as being on 150 top 10 lists. Should have dug deeper, that's 150 top 10 pieces of crap from 2006.

paul_pci
03-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Ok, you uhhh...win. :confused5:

Hope the popcorn was good, at least. I'm a little miffed...the jerk at Blockbuster told me it was a great film, and those freakin' commercial's cite it as being on 150 top 10 lists. Should have dug deeper, that's 150 top 10 pieces of crap from 2006.

Exactly, that's what I don't get. My taste in movies isn't usually that far off, but I was thinking, you gotta be kidding me to put it on a top 100 list or what have you. I spent the rest of the night apologizing to my girlfriend for taking her to see it.

Kam
03-20-2006, 12:49 PM
i guess i'm in the minority (and will check it out again to make sure i wasnt on something when i saw it) but i really enjoyed this movie. from the opening sequence at the motel with that long tracking shot outside of the rooms, it really drew me in. And (not being familiar with the graphic novel) i wasnt sure for a while if Tom was really Joey or not. Dont think i'd put it on my top ten of the year, but i did enjoy the movie.
will have to update and see it again... (might just have to give me a 'gimme' on this one and dont hold it against me! :) )

Groundbeef
03-21-2006, 07:24 AM
The opeing shot was pretty cool. The reason I rented it was that Terry Grosse on "Fresh Air" on NPR interviewed the director. The shot was uncut in the opening sequence and if you notice, there was no music on the intro.

Kinda unique. After that, the wheels fell off the fun bus. It could have been over in 45 minutes if not for the rediculus "brothers revenge" bit. And what was up with William Hurt? He is such a good actor, but not as a gangster/mobster. With that goatee and the lousy lines? What a waste of talent.

Also, don't get me started on the son. Re-Watch and listen to the dialoge. If not for the cue cards they had off scene for him, I doubt he could have spoken them any stiffer.

There was nothing groundbreaking about the movie at all. Momento was much better, and for that matter 6th sense was much more captivating. The gore was something out of a Fangoria magazine, and didn't really fit into the movie very well. I have nothing against violence, and certainly enjoy a good shoot-em up movie. It was perhaps the amature application of the makeup and gore. It just didn't look like A-List material in the special effects dept.

Take another look, and report back.

N. Abstentia
03-21-2006, 08:04 AM
I was so looking forward to this movie, the trailers looked great. Sadly, the movie just sucked, No suspense, no tension...nothing.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-21-2006, 08:56 AM

Hey, as great as the Cineramadome is I would pay to see anything there.

wayner86
03-21-2006, 09:14 AM
I had to go see it because it was filmed in the town beside the one i used to live in, but im going to agree that it was remarkably unremarkable.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I am glad I read this thread. I was going to review this one, but it doesn't look like it would be a very popular title to review. Thanks brudda's!

SlumpBuster
03-21-2006, 03:11 PM
i guess i'm in the minority (and will check it out again to make sure i wasnt on something when i saw it) but i really enjoyed this movie. from the opening sequence at the motel with that long tracking shot outside of the rooms, it really drew me in. And (not being familiar with the graphic novel) i wasnt sure for a while if Tom was really Joey or not. Dont think i'd put it on my top ten of the year, but i did enjoy the movie.
will have to update and see it again... (might just have to give me a 'gimme' on this one and dont hold it against me! :) )

Well, its a good minority to be in, because I'm in it too. :D I really enjoyed this movie. I too was excited to see it because of the Terry Gross interview on NPR. I really liked the way the violence was was handled. Anyone that has spent time in an emergency room or a courtroom quickly learns that violence is all too often one sided. i.e. the first one to strike is usually the "winner" of a fight. 90% of fist fights involve one punch and a broken nose or jaw. Hate to tell you, but most people can't be pounded on WWF or Fight Club style. One punch and down like a sack of doorknobs.

But, then again I really liked Doom as well, so it just goes to show: there's no accounting for taste. :D

Oh, and Roger Ebert gave it 3 1/2 stars.