Powerwd Sub placement??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Powerwd Sub placement???

swwdts
03-19-2006, 01:25 AM
I have a VERY odd wall / flooring set-up in my home.The main room/ HT area is set up like the letter F but, backwards.Where does my 10" powered sub need to be?If I set it where theTHX website showed to be the best placement,a lot of the bass would go out my fr.door .:idea:

musicman1999
03-19-2006, 04:55 AM
Bass is non directional,so it really does not matter what direction the driver is pointed.A good way to set up your sub is this,place the sub in your seating position,put something with strong bass on repeat and walk around your room.Different positions in the room will yield different bass response.The spot with the best response will be where your sub should go.

thanks
bill

swwdts
03-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Thanks !

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-21-2006, 06:38 AM
Bass is non directional,so it really does not matter what direction the driver is pointed.A good way to set up your sub is this,place the sub in your seating position,put something with strong bass on repeat and walk around your room.Different positions in the room will yield different bass response.The spot with the best response will be where your sub should go.

thanks
bill

Here is the problem with this kind of positioning advice. Usually your listening position is in the center of the room, or farther away from the walls than you will usually position the sub. This puts the sub in a low pressure zone which will not fully excite room modes and nodes. So walking around the room with the sub in that position will usually not tell you much about what will happen once you find a location.

The best advice for experimenting with sub placement is to place it in the corner first, and move it around that corner while measuring its loudness with a SPL meter and test tones. Using program material (music with heavy bass) is not a good source as it does not allow modes to build up sufficently to mimick real world situations