Here Are The Young Men [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Here Are The Young Men

Mayonnaise
03-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Larry had just a few records that we listened to over and over again, which became a soundtrack to the time, and a memory enhancer years later. Pere Ubu’s "The Modern Dance", Television’s "Marquee Moon", Talking Heads "Fear of Music", "Ramones", Gang of Four "Entertainment", Public Image "Metal Box" (in a round metal tin he had shipped over from England). Over and over again until I couldn’t help but like them (he had a copy of "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" that we never played, I didn’t mention my copy was worn through). He hated loaning me his records but he was proud to hear the familiar crackles on his vinyl over the airwaves once a week. On a whim one day we drove all the way to Stinkin Lincoln to see a band his buddy called from Minnesota to say was great. Nothing but boilermakers, vomit and Husker Du for two days. These records were great but nothing as pure as the moody punk of Joy Division. He took pride in the English pressings he owned ("Closer" had just been released) and assured me no one in the whole state was cool enough to even know about this ****. Larry loved Joy Division and we listened to "Closer" and "Unknown Pleasures" all the time. I learned to love Faliero Masi, to true a wheel, to repair a sew up, to prep a race-ready bike with that music playing. I’d learned to love the little devices for their simplicity and design, for the purity of being human powered. Out on the stony streets late at night Joy Division was the sound of a camaraderie, the sound of panting, of approaching chaos, of testing fear. Youth pushed to the limits, our spirit taking flight, soaring on our journey to see the face of God.

Ex Lion Tamer
03-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Hey Mayo,

That's a very poignant quote. What's the source?

Have you heard any more news on the Ian Curtis movie (http://members.aol.com/lwtua/these.htm)? I heard they have finally cast the lead roll to someone named Sam Riley:

http://www.lwtua.free-online.co.uk/jd/ian_curtis_control_b.jpg

Mayonnaise
03-20-2006, 09:16 AM
I wrote it myself.

The guy looks the part. Sounds like the wife is involved in the production; here's hoping they get it right.

3-LockBox
03-20-2006, 09:52 AM
They had some good songs, but their albums as a whole were very dark and brooding (IMO) and had that same druggy/beatnik quality that The Doors' music seemed to have, only with a techno backdrop.

Anybody ever read if Curtis was a big Jim Morrison fan?

BTW: Never was into The Doors either.

not trying to start crap or anything, but if anyone hates my post, let'er fly

BTW: never was into crap much either

Mayonnaise
03-20-2006, 10:54 AM
He's Hot
He's Sexy
He's Dead

ah, the memories...

3-LockBox
03-20-2006, 11:40 AM
He's Hot
He's Sexy
He's Dead

ah, the memories...

I think a lot of acts/performers benefit greatly by an untimely demise.

If only Randy Road's plane coulda been a little lower on their lone fly-by run at that bus...

ah yes, the memories