My Morning Jacket [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Morning Jacket

Davey
03-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Don't know if fans are all talked out on these guys yet since the latest "Z" got so much notoriety last year, but I'm still really loving it and was just trying to send a PM to Dusty in reply to something he said, and got the old "Dusty Chalk has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.", so in regard to what I playfully labelled as Mystery Disc #2 and sent to 3 or 4 people ...

Also, I trust your assessment on My Morning Jacket, as ...well, NOTHING that's been said has motivated me into wanting to hear this band.
Well, I just don't really know, but it would be fun to see how you like it. Some of it does have kind of a classic Steve Winwood and Traffic sound, and that bluesy but non-boogie Led Zeppelin that was out front on III, and even some early David Bowie when Mick Ronson was helping to run the show, but mixed up with some Flaming Lips and the like. Pretty diverse band and getting better all the time, mashing up old sounds like Neil Young and The Band with newer stuff like Mercury Rev and the Lips, and not nearly always that obvious where these sound come from either. There's even our old friend the saw from Mercury Rev and Black Heart Procession and Neutral Milk Hotel, bending its way through some of the songs. Almost a carnival feel to some of it too. Not much country left anymore. Woulda been at or very near the top of my 2005 list if I had gotten it last year. Love it. Not absolutely like a classic, as there are a couple songs that seem less inspired, but overall very strong.

Dusty Chalk
03-18-2006, 10:31 PM
There's even our old friend the saw...Okay, now I wanna hear it. There's just something about that legato glissando that sends shivers up my spine. Most recently heard on the new Devics disk...

PS I'll clear out my PM stash some tomorrow. Sorry 'bout 'dat.