My KLH is junk.Can this subwoofer fix it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My KLH is junk.Can this subwoofer fix it?

swwdts
03-17-2006, 06:35 PM
I was online hunting for a new powered subwoofer for my home.I saw a brand that I had never heard of ( KLH ) w/ a 10" down firing 100 RMS subwoofer (Peak unknown) & I bought it.The bass thump sounds like a Nintendo NES ( late 1980's ) bing sound not a boom or a thump. If I buy a Rockford Fosgate 10"punch subwoofer for it,would it sound any better ??? I am not paying over 600.00 for a subwoofer that may just sound the same way.

Woochifer
03-17-2006, 06:54 PM
A 10" sub will typically not get you too far into the bass range, and the bass that you hear will depend greatly on the source. KLH used to be one of the more reputable names in the audio business because of its association with the visionary Henry Kloss. But, now KLH works the bottomfeeder segment of the market.

I assume that with the Rockford Fosgate, you're looking to replace the woofer on that KLH? Or are you talking about buying a whole new subwoofer and junk the KLH?

Generally, just replacing the driver does not guarantee better performance, because subwoofers usually rely on a fairly precise relationship between the driver characteristics and the box dimensions (including the interior volume and the port diameter, if applicable). Just inserting a new driver into a box designed around an entirely different set of driver parameters could just make the sound worse.

If you're looking to spend around $600 for a subwoofer, there are plenty of frequently recommended options that you should look into. For ported models (which tend to be more efficient with greater dynamic impact), you can look into SVS and Hsu Research mail order subs, or retail models from Velodyne and Paradigm. For sealed subs (which will generally work better with small to medium sized rooms, and might subjectively sound more "musical" at the expense of peak SPL output), you can look into Rocket and Acoustic Visions for mail order, and B&W, Martin Logan, and Atlantic Technology for retail options.

N. Abstentia
03-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Replacing it with A) a car audio sub and B) a poor car sub like Rockford will not make any improvement.

Follow Wooch's advice and use your $600 to get a proper sub from SVS or HSU.

swwdts
03-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the info everyone !