Attention: Swish, Mr MidFi, Snowbunny, Ex Lion Tamer, Stone, etc. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Attention: Swish, Mr MidFi, Snowbunny, Ex Lion Tamer, Stone, etc.

Slosh
03-17-2006, 03:24 AM
My Tapes 'n Tapes The Loon CD finally arrived and I really think this album needs to be heard by more people. I don't spend too much time at other music BBs but I haven't even seen it mentioned anywhere else, and that's a damn shame so I'm out to change that in some small way.

As lo-fi as this recording is I still ripped it in wma lossless and the file size is a bit less than 268MB. If you're using a PC and don't like Windows Media Player for whatever reason I know for sure the most recent iTunes update can convert wma lossless to apple lossless. I suspect iTunes can also convert it to whatever format you set up to rip in but haven't tried anything else. Not sure if any of this applies to a Mac, however. I've never downloaded dBpoweramp but I know that can do the conversion as well. Is there a Mac version of dBpoweramp? Regardless of what you use to listen to this on, make sure when you burn it to CD-R that you're set up for a continuous CD with no pauses since a few of the songs fade together.

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=15LUOQ4RE9J5R2A8VAAKOUM0Y8

Ex Lion Tamer
03-17-2006, 06:10 AM
Downloaded it this morning. First two songs sound real nice. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll post some impressions as they develop.

Stone
03-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the "preview." I'll listen to it over the weekend if I get a chance.

Slosh
03-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Listen to "Insistor" and "Cowbell" on repeat :)

Funny, I hadn't seen anyone mention this over at Obner or HeadFi or that other RR but right after I posted this I saw a thread at Obner. Hmmm. . . .

NP: "Collective Dreamwish Of Upperclass Elegance" by Grandaddy

Dusty Chalk
03-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks. Server pretty busy, right now, haven't even gotten the splash page.

Swish
03-17-2006, 02:30 PM
I'll burn it after I'm done working. Yeah, it's nearly 6 PM on St. Paddy's day and I'm still going hard but had to take a break.

Swish

Slosh
03-19-2006, 11:06 AM
If I do this again it's only gonna be via PM. Looks like maybe I shouldn't even bother. I know traffic is slow around here but sheesh! :(

Swish
03-19-2006, 03:34 PM
If I do this again it's only gonna be via PM. Looks like maybe I shouldn't even bother. I know traffic is slow around here but sheesh! :(

This is one of the coolest things I've seen on this board, and I took advantage of it both times you set it up. Yeah, the board is getting really slow, and I know my participation has been infrequent over the last 6 months or so. I readily admit that I don't post as much as I used to, but I do visit most days to see what is going on. If I don't see a new post that catches my attention, I log off rather quickly.

I don't know what can be done, if anything, to get things going again.This is approximately my seventh year here, or possibly the eighth, and it's been been a lot of fun keeping in touch with the different people here. Many of the old regulars are long gone and likely won't be coming back, and many of whom I miss quite a bit. I've only met one RR person during that time, although there's a good chance I'll be meeting up with several others in the coming months, starting with J in NYC next month. And I hope to hit the New Orleans Jazz Fest next year and that a bunch of RR people make that one.

Anyway Slosh, I hope you don't scale back too much as you're one of the MVPs here, at least for me since our musical tastes seem to be pretty much the same.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
03-19-2006, 04:56 PM

Hey Sloshy, don't do that! Since my name wasn't in the header, I can only assume that I wouldn't get the PM either. :sad: I just haven't had a chance to get around to this, but that doesn't mean that I won't. You posted this on Friday, it's only Sunday. Give us a chance man.

Slosh
03-19-2006, 06:09 PM
I didn't intend to get any pity replies here. It's just that if only five people are taking advantage of it I can easily handle that with PMs. If more than five people used it then great but it'd be nice to know that and that I'm not wasting my time.

But just putting the link out in the open like that is just asking for trouble for myself and this site so I'm not going to be posting these anymore. Privately via e-mail or PMs is another matter altogether.

Since my name wasn't in the header, I can only assume that I wouldn't get the PM either.You mean your name isn't really etc. ? :)
No, you wouldn't get a PM. You would send one to me. See?

noddin0ff
03-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Well, I wasn't on the list but downloaded anyway and am enjoying it.

In my neverending quest for a Mac workaround I've found a free piece of software that allows you to listen to lossless WMA files using Quicktime (which has a much nicer interface than Windows Media Player for Mac). It's also supposed to let you open wma files (including video) in Safari.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/flip4mac.mspx

To extract the audio from lossless WMA to AIFF (Macs WAV equivalent) you can use AudioHijack (a stream ripper)
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

From there you can convert to what ever you want.

Note: the wma conversion issues are only a problem for lossless wma on a Mac. Compressed (non-lossless) wma is not a problem. There is no software out there that lets Macs convert lossless wma to anything, for free. I think the Flip4Mac thing, if you pay for the larger program may let you convert lossless wma to anything used by Mac media software.

Thanks for the tunes slosh!

Mr MidFi
03-21-2006, 08:49 AM
Many thanks, Slosh! I've only spun it once so far, but it ain't half bad. I'll give it a proper review when I've had a chance to absorb it.