Riverside [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Riverside

BarryL
03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
I just found this CD in a pile as I was cleaning up my desk. It's the first Riverside CD, Out Of Myself.

I can't comment too much, except I really like it. I was expecting something more metal, which I'm glad it isn't. It is on the darker side, kinda like Porcupine Tree. Has a bit of that Dead Soul Tribe sound, but more melodic while still being aggressive.

Doesn't really break any new ground, but it's a nice listen.

I'll have to get to know this one better.

Thanks Richmon.

3-LockBox
03-16-2006, 05:41 PM
I just found this CD in a pile as I was cleaning up my desk. It's the first Riverside CD, Out Of Myself.

I can't comment too much, except I really like it. I was expecting something more metal, which I'm glad it isn't. It is on the darker side, kinda like Porcupine Tree. Has a bit of that Dead Soul Tribe sound, but more melodic while still being aggressive.

Doesn't really break any new ground, but it's a nice listen.

I'll have to get to know this one better.

Thanks Richmon.

I like it better than their second one, which is too Tool-ish.

Dusty Chalk
03-16-2006, 11:31 PM
I like their second one more than I remember liking the first one, I need to find my copy of the first album.

[Not being the contrarian. No, really, I'm not.]

richmon
03-17-2006, 07:15 AM

Remembering that the disc went out over a year ago, your desk musta been a landfill!

Their second disc is a bit more aggressive and consistant than number 1, with a couple of real earwig songs (conceiving you, the title song + I turned you down).
Supposedly the first two discs are part of a trilogy concept, something about modern alienation and angst and so on. I'm too shallow to get into that, but the next release should follow the quality level.

The main reason I'll try to get tix for this years NearFest is Riverside, they go on sale this weekend, but competition is ferocious. Would like to see the Keith Emerson band too.

Glad you liked it, nothing groundbreaking like you say, just good melodic, guitary tunage.

BarryL
03-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Would like to see the Keith Emerson band too.

Glad you liked it, nothing groundbreaking like you say, just good melodic, guitary tunage.

Listened again this morning, and I'm liking it more.

Just noticed that The Carl Palmer Band will be touring here in May. Even better, it's on a Friday night. I'll have to get some tickets. They're doing an ELP tour as a three-piece with guitar and bass, no keyboards.

Should be a rocking good time.

richmon
03-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Just noticed that The Carl Palmer Band will be touring here in May. Even better, it's on a Friday night. I'll have to get some tickets. They're doing an ELP tour as a three-piece with guitar and bass, no keyboards.

Emo's band should be doing a tour this summer too. Right after NearFest on Monday 6/26 they're playing in Massachussuts, I suspect they be all around the east coast. Keith's website hasn't posted any 2006 dates yet, but they're confirmed for at least the above two concerts.

And much to my delight, I scored a ticket to NF, even tho it's way in the back, there's not really any bad seats in the venue.
Unlikely we'll see Riverside play any other stateside concerts, their visa is only for 4 days.

BarryL
03-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Remembering that the disc went out over a year ago, your desk musta been a landfill!

Yeah, it was deep in the far right-hand corner.

But I also found Farpoint - From Dreaming to Dreaming.

I've been spinning this in rotation since Friday, and it's really fine stuff. Very catchy and melody driven. I like the almost folky approach to the music. This is great patio music for a warm summer day. It's upbeat and bright.

Having two vocalists, one male and one female, is pretty unique in the prog world.

Thanks for this. I wish it hadn't taken me a year to get to these.

How's the rest of their catalog?

richmon
03-21-2006, 09:02 AM
But I also found Farpoint - From Dreaming to Dreaming.
How's the rest of their catalog?

What I read is that they got better with each album, From Dreaming to Dreaming being the latest and best release. Haven't dove into the catalog any further yet.

I really dug Clark Boone's songs on FDTD, he reminds me of Dave Cousin's a little.
The third song on that disc 'nothing at all' is about Sid Barrett, one of the standout songs for me.

There's some reviews on progears of all the release's ..http://www.progressiveears.com on the left click 'reviews' then 'cd reviews' then the letter 'F'.

Mr Peabody
03-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Yeah, Richmon through that Riverside name at me too. I listened to some samples of their albums and gravitated toward Out of Myself. I ordered it. I'm hoping it's better than you all let on. You're a tough crowd.

BarryL
03-24-2006, 06:51 AM
I've been spinning Riverside for about a week now, and the first release is a winner. Sometimes they sound like Porcupine Tree, Sometimes like a final phase of Pink Floyd, but overall, it all sounds good.

I like them. First album gets two thumbs up from me.