Klipsch [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch

Dharris
01-23-2004, 01:46 PM
What is the better line Reference or the Synergy?

This Guy
01-23-2004, 01:53 PM
---------------------------

Dharris
01-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Another stupid question, by how much? Are they very different?

This Guy
01-23-2004, 02:25 PM
I can't tell you. I heard the Synergy (dual 8") in a very noisy best buy and heard the reference (dual 8") briefly in Tweeter so I couldn't tell you how good they sound. The reference is more expensive but they are more efficient and use higher quality drivers. You're gonna have to listen yourself.

-Joey

Worf101
01-24-2004, 07:19 AM
The Reference line uses "better" internal wiring. Better crossovers and sech. The cabinetry is supposed to be richer with more options. Also they're supposed to have a "less bright" more laid back sound. I've not done a side by side... DBT but that's what I've heard.

Da Worfster

spacedeckman
01-30-2004, 10:02 PM
The Reference are a whole lot better than the Synergy.

The Reference aren't very good IMHO.

There are a bazillion speaker brands out there, and unless you are a biker, a frat boy, or would like to act like either, shop on. Energy, Mirage, Paradigm, Athena, ...etc would be a far better choice for most people. Listen before you buy. At Best Buy, for example, Klipsch is the 4th best speaker line in the store. But I must admit, Klipsch is a taste that I have never acquired. Strange midrange, poor imaging, and the Synergy line has no bottom end, and based on performance, pretty expensive for what you get. The Reference line is even more expensive, but if you put a gun to my head, I would rather have them of the two. Larger drivers in a larger box means more sensitivity and more bass (some bass?)

jamison
01-30-2004, 10:46 PM
as a Klipsch reference series owner i have been very pleased with the Klipsch brand. I own a pair of RF-5 fronts, an RC-7 center (all cherry finish). and RS-7 surrounds and RB-75 back surrounds. I listened to quite a few other brands and these speakers just grabbed me. IMHO i think they sound impressive especially with adcom 200x3 amp driving the front 3 speakers. The speakers have a very dynamic and real sound to them. especially with guitars and pianos it sounds like the piano is in my living room. If your looking for speakers with wall shaking bass these arent for you. they do have accurate tight bass that is not boomy. I started with an onkyo tx-sr900 reciever and they sounded great but the volume level needed to be cranked to make them sound good. not so after buying the adcom amp. i can listen to them at a lower volume level and they sound good as well.
efficiency levels are great with a sensitivy of 99 db on the fronts and 98 on the center. the only weak point i would complain about is the way the grills attach to the speakers it can be easy to break the pegs off them. Klipsch are you listening??? Ok im done speaking about how i feel about klipsch. my recomendation would be to find a dealer (if possible) that handles the higher end speakers. make sure you bring music you are familiar with and also make sure to listen to them in stereo mode rather than multi-channel, if they sound good with only 2 speakers they will only sound better in surround. I auditioned the klipsch at Jamiesons stereo inToledo Ohio. the salesman let me bring my own music in and allowed me to stay for hours auditioning the different brands of speakers they sell.
REMEMBER NOT EVERYONE HEARS THE SAME, what sounds good to one person can sound bad to another.

hearingimpaired
01-31-2004, 12:44 PM
If you are going to go with Klipsch then go with the Heritage line and preferably the Klipschorn. You can find them in like new condition sometimes on ebay for between 2 and 3k. The beautiful thing about the K-horn is that you can upgrade drivers and crossovers 2 decades after the purchase and have new speakers. Also those speakers will literally last a life time.

After owning virtually every Klipsch speaker in the Heritage line and having listened to the new line of Klipsch products I must tell you I have been disappointed. I have talked to other Klipsch fanatics who concur with my point of view. Take some of your favorite quality recordings to the local audio store and listen to the synergy and reference lines. Then go listen to a pair of K-horns. The K-horns sound real while the former sound electronic.

I never understood what those words on CD's mean't, something to the effect... because of the CDs high resolution, limitation of the source material may be present. In other words you will hear tape hiss big time on most CD's with K-horns and never notice it on other speakers including some of the newer Klipsch products. Once you taste of the Heritage line especially the Klipshorn you can never go back.