Supertramp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Supertramp

Mayonnaise
03-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Supertramp is not now nor were they ever cool. (When I talk about Supertramp I am talking “Breakfast” and all records prior). They never had the depth to elicit the geek factor you had with Yes or Genesis or ELP or the gold standard Pink Floyd. Any self respecting, jean jacket wearing, barber avoiding, camero driving, joint bogarting class of ‘78 teenager would admit a Lamb Lies Down fetish long before confessing a Crime Of The Century passion.

You played Supertamp in your room and your cheerleader sister (who never lived and breathed music as a source of all things redemptive and blissful) would say in passing, “oh, I like that song,” then vanish with Jim Hoffman, the varsity quarterback. Not a sign of cool, but certainly acknowledging their pop craft and ole Rog’s unnerving but pleasant enough voice.

The real gold were the long, and at times too sentimental, album tracks on Crime, Crisis, and Quietest. While the singles have been FM’d to death--they never had a staying power beyond nostalgia generation, these longer tracks are still worth seeking out for a listen, even at high volume with nice headphones.

Nothing captures 1979 like Breakfast. It was everywhere. And for good reason: well crafted pop songs with just enough arty pretense. It appealed to the cheerleader and the malcontent. It holds up today.

After Breakfast they fell off a cliff rendering anything afterwards worthless. I’d rather Bobby Sherman over Famous Last Words

you can take that to the bank

ForeverAutumn
03-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Supertramp is not now nor were they ever cool. (When I talk about Supertramp I am talking “Breakfast” and all records prior). They never had the depth to elicit the geek factor you had with Yes or Genesis or ELP or the gold standard Pink Floyd. Any self respecting, jean jacket wearing, barber avoiding, camero driving, joint bogarting class of ‘78 teenager would admit a Lamb Lies Down fetish long before confessing a Crime Of The Century passion.

You played Supertamp in your room and your cheerleader sister (who never lived and breathed music as a source of all things redemptive and blissful) would say in passing, “oh, I like that song,” then vanish with Jim Hoffman, the varsity quarterback. Not a sign of cool, but certainly acknowledging their pop craft and ole Rog’s unnerving but pleasant enough voice.

The real gold were the long, and at times too sentimental, album tracks on Crime, Crisis, and Quietest. While the singles have been FM’d to death--they never had a staying power beyond nostalgia generation, these longer tracks are still worth seeking out for a listen, even at high volume with nice headphones.

Nothing captures 1979 like Breakfast. It was everywhere. And for good reason: well crafted pop songs with just enough arty pretense. It appealed to the cheerleader and the malcontent. It holds up today.

After Breakfast they fell off a cliff rendering anything afterwards worthless. I’d rather Bobby Sherman over Famous Last Words

Either I'm missing your point, or you haven't made one.

You say that Supertramp isn't cool then go on to say that there was gold on COTC, CWC and EITQM. Then you trash the popular songs on those CDs and praise Breakfast in America for it's popularity. You say that popular songs that are still being played on the radio more than 20 years later have no staying power.

You're not making any sense.

Bernd
03-16-2006, 10:29 AM
And I thought it was only me missing the point of Mayonnaise's Supertramp post.
I still like "Fool Overture" and all of "Crime of the Century"

Peace

Bernd:16:

BarryL
03-16-2006, 10:39 AM

I gues it depends where you started. It was very cool to be in on Crime Of The Century before they became pop mainstays starting with Even In The Quiestest Moments.

As for Breakfast, while it is a good album, it was the start of the end. Nothing is more obnoxious to me than The Logical Song. Their real pop genius is displayed on Crisis? What Crisis?

Mayonnaise
03-16-2006, 10:50 AM
no point, just goofing around

3-LockBox
03-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Heh heh...maybe you're is just trying to stir the pot.

Can't say I was ever into Supertramp enough to get bugged by your diatribe, but i'll have to go along with FA in that you contradict yourself all over the place.

I will agree that they've been FM'd to death though, like a lot of other good pop/rock from the '70s.

Better luck next time Mayo. Maybe pick on a more current band, and you'll raise the ire of the board.

Mayonnaise
03-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Not trying to stir the pot either. I knowingly contradict myself. I do it all the time. As I get older I care less about covering up the messy spots in my logic; part of being human. Supertramp’s music has always attracted and repulsed me at the same time. Take Rush’s “The Trees,”for instance: at the same exact time it is a horrible and a wonderful song. To enjoy it you must contradict yourself.

I like Supertramp, I’m just embarrassed by it sometimes.

I also like “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy” and when I had a chance to me Rod Stewart I told him so.

Mayonnaise
03-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Not trying to stir the pot either. I knowingly contradict myself. I do it all the time. As I get older I care less about covering up the messy spots in my logic; part of being human. Supertramp’s music has always attracted and repulsed me at the same time. Take Rush’s “The Trees,”for instance: at the same exact time it is a horrible and a wonderful song. To enjoy it you must contradict yourself.

I like Supertramp, I’m just embarrassed by it sometimes.

I also like “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy” and when I had a chance to meet Rod Stewart I told him so.

ForeverAutumn
03-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Nothing is more obnoxious to me than The Logical Song.

Since Mayonnaise began with a illogical thread, I know that there's irony in here somewhere.

ForeverAutumn
03-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Take Rush’s “The Trees,”for instance: at the same exact time it is a horrible and a wonderful song. To enjoy it you must contradict yourself.

No, just a wonderful song. Nothing horrible about it. No contradictions required. You just sound confused. :crazy:

jamison
03-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I guess im a nerd... I dont remember how many times i cranked up supertramp or any other so called nerdy band when they cam on the radio, good songs good melody and many good memories from that era. I am proud of the music i listend to back then... well maybe except for Barry Manilow... but i had traded his stuff in for AC/DC by the time i was officially a teenager. My sister to this day dances when " You shook me all night long comes on.. simply because i played the crap out of that album when it came out. I will also admit to being a huge Journey fan as well... nah nah na nah nah nah naha naha nah lol

Stone
03-16-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't get it.

And by "it," I mean Supertramp.

3-LockBox
03-16-2006, 12:25 PM
I also like “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy” and when I had a chance to meet Rod Stewart I told him so.

TMI :eek:

Now you've gone too far! ;)

ForeverAutumn
03-16-2006, 12:27 PM
I guess im a nerd... I dont remember how many times i cranked up supertramp or any other so called nerdy band when they cam on the radio, good songs good melody and many good memories from that era. I am proud of the music i listend to back then... well maybe except for Barry Manilow... but i had traded his stuff in for AC/DC by the time i was officially a teenager. My sister to this day dances when " You shook me all night long comes on.. simply because i played the crap out of that album when it came out. I will also admit to being a huge Journey fan as well... nah nah na nah nah nah naha naha nah lol

There's nothing nerdy about cranking up a tune that makes you feel good.

Unless it's Rod Stewart's Do Ya Think I'm Sexy. ;)

3-LockBox
03-16-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't get it.

You know what I don't get?

NBA Coach Larry Brown

ForeverAutumn
03-16-2006, 12:31 PM
You know what I don't get?

Why they stuff pimento inside olives.

BarryL
03-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Take Rush’s “The Trees,”for instance: at the same exact time it is a horrible and a wonderful song.

You got that one right. How'd you pick that out of thin air? The playing is so so fantastic that you can't help but love it. But that horrible ending to a goofy morality tale is too much for me.

(I guess as a tree-hugger and all around sensitive modern guy, it makes me a bit weepy.)

:17:

Dusty Chalk
03-16-2006, 11:16 PM
I like Supertramp. Always have, always will. Didn't appreciate them much back then, but I listened to everything from to Abba to Aerosmith to Black Sabbath to Boston to Cars to ELP to Genesis to Steve Hackett to Heart to Jimi Hendrix to Jean-Michel Jarre to Jethro Tull to Henry Mancini to Oingo Boingo to Mike Oldfield to Alan Parsons Project to Pink Floyd to Gerry Rafferty to Rush to Tangerine Dream to Pat Travers to Robin Trower to Vangelis to Joe Walsh to yacht rock to Yes to Zappa. I didn't need to contradict nothing to appreciate nothing. You, chairman Mayo, mayhaps had to contradict yourself, but then, you're confused & confusing, so to be lucid would be perhaps contradictory.

Crime Of The Century is a great album from beginning to end. Didn't get criticized for admitting it then, don't care if I do now.

3-LockBox
03-17-2006, 01:14 AM
I like Supertramp. Always have, always will. Didn't appreciate them much back then, but I listened to everything from to Abba to Aerosmith to Black Sabbath to Boston to Cars to ELP to Genesis to Steve Hackett to Heart to Jimi Hendrix to Jean-Michel Jarre to Jethro Tull to Henry Mancini to Oingo Boingo to Mike Oldfield to Alan Parsons Project to Pink Floyd to Gerry Rafferty to Rush to Tangerine Dream to Pat Travers to Robin Trower to Vangelis to Joe Walsh to yacht rock to Yes to Zappa. I didn't need to contradict nothing to appreciate nothing. You, chairman Mayo, mayhaps had to contradict yourself, but then, you're confused & confusing, so to be lucid would be perhaps contradictory.

Crime Of The Century is a great album from beginning to end. Didn't get criticized for admitting it then, don't care if I do now.

You left out Bay City Rollers :confused:

yeah, most of us are left in the dark about this one. I never met anyone who thinks Supertramp is a guitly pleasure.

Leif Garret on the other hand...

Dusty Chalk
03-17-2006, 01:02 PM
You left out Bay City Rollers Yes, I did.

nobody
03-18-2006, 09:38 AM
I get the thing about Supertramp not being cool. I like Breakfast in America and played it maybe a week or so ago...but, many of my friends think the notion that I do like that record is proof that I'm a f'n idiot...its not well respected in some circles.

BradH
03-18-2006, 01:38 PM
I like Supertramp. Always have, always will.

Yep, same here. They were like the Beatles, Steely Dan or the Police.

You know, smooth on the surface but deep underneath.

I'm sure there's a dirty joke in there somewhere.