Rabco St-4 Turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rabco St-4 Turntable

Vox Melba Mastering Labs
03-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Does anyone one out there own a Rabco ST-4 turntable. I purchased one off the internet, but have not the foggiest idea how to get it to work. No instruction manual was included.
This is one very strange piece of equipment. H-e-l-p.

John Lasher
Vox Melba Mastering Labs
Broken Hill NSW 2880
Australia

Resident Loser
03-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Does anyone one out there own a Rabco ST-4 turntable. I purchased one off the internet, but have not the foggiest idea how to get it to work. No instruction manual was included.

John Lasher
Vox Melba Mastering Labs
Broken Hill NSW 2880
Australia

...who goes by the name of hifitommy, who sometimes makes an appearance here (seems to be less and less since his nemesis mtrycrafts has gone)...you could try over at Audio Asylum as I think he pretty much hangs his hat there now...

My limited knowledge of the Rabco was that it was difficult to set up and keep operational, but that when it worked it worked well...basically the arm sensed when it was going off-tangent and self-corrected, that would seem to be an extraordinary and complicated mechanical feat.

jimHJJ(...sorry I can't be of any more help...)

JohnMichael
03-19-2006, 02:33 PM

John Lasher
Vox Melba Mastering Labs
Broken Hill NSW 2880
Australia

Hello I finally figured out where you could get a manual. I remembered Harmon Kardon was involved with Rabco turntables. If you go to the HK sight and go to Support then to owners manuals select all products. When you go to the down the list you will see ST5 and that is the manual for the Rabco ST-5. That should be close enough to help with your ST-4. The air is fresher with my head out of my arse. I should have remembered this sooner.

slucre
09-09-2006, 03:39 PM

John Lasher
Vox Melba Mastering Labs
Broken Hill NSW 2880
Australia
John,

If you still need, I have the original color brochure and the b/w instruction sheet for my ST-4.
Drop me a private message on this forum and I can scan and email to you.

SL

JohnMichael
09-10-2006, 05:19 AM
John,

If you still need, I have the original color brochure and the b/w instruction sheet for my ST-4.
Drop me a private message on this forum and I can scan and email to you.

SL

slucre you might want to click on his profile and send him a message via e-mail. Since we were not able to be of much help I do not know if he has been back. I do know he would appreciate the info. Thanks

slucre
09-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks JohnMichael, I have done that now...didn't see the option until you suggested it.

SL

cavu
08-25-2008, 02:15 AM

Drop me a private message on this forum and I can scan and email to you.Your account doesn't seem to accept PMs. :(

Please forward me a copy at "cavu at flying-colors.org"

Thanks very much!!

hifitommy
09-07-2008, 12:07 PM
the st5 is no relation. that was a family of newer linear trackers by HK the went up to st8. parts are damn rare for any of them. i idont have any of mine anymore either. after i sold mine to a 'friend' he modified the st4 by removing the old arm, and putting a SL8E in its place.

that DID reduce the wow and flutter a great deal but some remains. once the o-ring that drives the arm is in place, then the belt goes on. somewhere i have the paperwork including some mods from the factory. i cant guarantee any timetable here so dont hold your breath.

suffice it to say that bass was really good with this tt and once set up, it was easy enough to use. its times like these that i wish i had held on to it. i had three trucks and learned to swap them quickly. that means three cartridges were mounted and ready to go at all times.

the adc XLM was very nicely served here. the bass could knock you off the couch.

if i remember correctly, the st4 on agon was high priced and he used the word 'servo' in the description. at that price he should have had the manual!

i'll see what i can find.