Please, please HELP! with Technics SA-G89 receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please, please HELP! with Technics SA-G89 receiver

meowy84
03-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Hello. I've located a Technics SA-G89 receiver/amp for $100 and was wondering if this amp is worth it? I believe it's the surround sound version not the simulated surround. I plan on running 2 Sony 150W speakers and a powered sub (no surround needed as the room this is going into is pretty small). I'm either planning to use a cheapy $30 DVD/CD player with it or a PS2 game system. Will this amp support these 2 things. The guy selling it was saying something about needing a decoder since a cheapy DVD/CD player won't work with it but I think he knows just as much about these things as I do. LOL

So any HELP would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

meowy84
03-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Come on guys, someone out there in audio land has got to know something about this...:)

paul_pci
03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Generally, when it comes to audio equipment, people who do it on the cheap come out dissatisfied. And it has nothing to do with whether you're looking for spectacular sound vs. getting by with basic equipment, but that cheap equipment often frustrates and fails and the buyer ends up flushing money down the toilet that could otherwise be saved for more reliable equipment.

orgasmdonor
03-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Go to WalMart and you can buy an entire home theater system with receiver and built in dvd for 100 bucks. The Orion brand they carry is made by 6 year olds in China. But if you can stomach that, it will turn out to be a real bargain for you. I hope this helps.

keuplat
03-28-2006, 07:25 PM
HI, I've use a sa-G89 since last 5 years. This receiver could have up to 5 speaker plus a subwofer, but unfotunately it did not include a decoder. so you need to buy a decoder or a dvd with a decoder built in. I buy a pionner dv-656a and i got a 5.1 sound. This dvd have a built in decoder with 6 analogic channel (front L,front R center, rear L, rear R and sub) it also include a 2 channel out put and 2 difital out put.

The Sa-G89 could also include many feature such as true suround, for the FM receiver. It could also simmulate teh surroud to ouput a 2 channels on 5 channels.

About the quality. I think it make a very great job. I did some test with a db metter and I reach the reference at 75% of the power.

It out put 500w distributed on 5 channel so that mean 100w per channel. If you have nice speaker the sound shoul be wonderfull.

I hope that answer all your question.

Enjoy

KeuPlat