In Ceiling - Polk RC80I vs Paradigm AMS 150 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In Ceiling - Polk RC80I vs Paradigm AMS 150

TexasEd
03-15-2006, 02:27 PM
First Post here. Did some searches and found very little on in-ceiling speakers. Is this because they are not very popular? If they are not very popular, why?

I am setting this up in a new house. I have wiring in the ceiling for HT 5.1 and a subwoofer on the floor in the back.

Now to my question:
I can get Polk RC80I or Paradigm AMS 150 for about the same price, about $250 per pair. What would you recommend as the better set for HT use and general stereo in the main room when not using for HT?

If you don't like those options what would you recommend in the same price range?

I'll need to add the Center channel and Subwoofer later.

Thanks for the help.

paul_pci
03-15-2006, 05:40 PM
In-ceiling speakers tend not to be popular because they don't create the ideal soundfield for home theater and people choose them for reasons other than sound quality and the soundfield, for instance, aesthetics, etc.

I won't comment on the difference between the two models you have your eye on. I'll just ask: have you listened to them? Which ones do you prefer. You can consult online retail sites such as jandr.com or crutchfield.com for further models that may fit your budget.

TexasEd
03-15-2006, 07:54 PM
I won't comment on the difference between the two models you have your eye on. I'll just ask: have you listened to them? Which ones do you prefer. You can consult online retail sites such as jandr.com or crutchfield.com for further models that may fit your budget.

I have listened to the Paradigm and they were very nice.

One thing I do like about the in ceiling rear speakers is I can hook them up for listening to regular TV with the sound over my head which will help me hear at lower volume.

PAT.P
03-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Compare the "frequency" range,"Room Sensitivity" db ,"Crossover" and" Power" .Most audio store dont have these speakers hook-up for listening.Wont help to much for audition.

gjpham
03-16-2006, 01:07 AM
I have Paradigm ASM150 hooked up as rear with my Harman Kardon 435. I chose inceiling speakers because it's hiddden and neat looks. Sound great in both movie and music. No distortion. Very happy with it. I heard the Polks from Fry's, Tweeters and thought it was ok but somewhat wasn't very impressed.
Funny, I reread your post and it's almost like mine a few month back asking ppl about in-ceiling speakers for my too new home.
Q: PM me where can you get it for $250, I paid mine $350 plus tax.

AVMASTER
03-16-2006, 02:06 PM
for your HT application neither model will work correctly, check out Speakercraft AIM series, Niles DS series, Kef CI200QT, or any other brand with directional drivers

TexasEd
03-16-2006, 03:19 PM
I have Paradigm ASM150 hooked up as rear with my Harman Kardon 435. I chose inceiling speakers because it's hiddden and neat looks. Sound great in both movie and music. No distortion. Very happy with it. I heard the Polks from Fry's, Tweeters and thought it was ok but somewhat wasn't very impressed.
Funny, I reread your post and it's almost like mine a few month back asking ppl about in-ceiling speakers for my too new home.
Q: PM me where can you get it for $250, I paid mine $350 plus tax.

I might do the same thing and get the rear speakers in ceiling and ceiling surface mount the front speakers. I am leaning towards the Paradigm's

I may have the price wrong. The Polks were $249 at Fry's. I looked at a local store in Austin for the Paradigm's and they may well have been $349.

TexasEd
03-17-2006, 07:31 AM
I checked and the price on the Paradigm 150s was $329 /pr.

gjpham
03-18-2006, 11:21 PM
I checked and the price on the Paradigm 150s was $329 /pr.
Looks like you are getting cheaper than where I bought them from. I'm thinking 1 of these monitors. I'm wondering how much thye sell you for a pair of monitor 7, 9 and 11. The monitor 90P is maybe out of my price range. See pix here: http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/MonSeries/MonitorSpecs.htm

Breezer88888
03-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi Texas,

I have the Polk RC85i which are in-walls (which I love) rather than in-ceilings. My basement was recently finished, so I had the ability to have speaker boxes built behind the speakers. This helps reinforce the sound and insulates it from upstairs and adjacent rooms. In hindsight, I could have been more scientific about the dimensions of the boxes, but I chose to let my contractor take over that part. I bring this up because it sounds like you are building a dedicated room/space for HT.

Whether you choose Polk or Paradigm, please compliment them with the same brand and model series to preserve timbre matching throughout. I mixed Polk surrounds with Infinity fronts and can't wait for an excuse to fix that mistake. Don't get me wrong, each set is great on their own and for movies its not that big of a deal. But when listening to music, the difference can be noticed (but only if I tell people). One more thing about the Polk, and I don't know if Paradigm offers the same, the Polk's tweeter can be aimed which is a plus for an in-ceiling installation.

Good luck,
Breezer

gjpham
03-21-2006, 07:37 AM
..., so I had the ability to have speaker boxes built behind the speakers. This helps reinforce the sound and insulates it from upstairs and adjacent rooms. In hindsight, I could have been more scientific about the dimensions of the boxes, but I chose to let my contractor take over that part. I bring this up because it sounds like you are building a dedicated room/space for HT. ...

Yeah, just for experience I too built a sealed box with packacking foam inside. It sound more "focus", more direct. Bass is a little more boomy. I'm not sure this is a good thing for surround speakers or not. Tried it on and off and finally decided to leave it with box. Any proffesional opinions?
Planning to getting 1 morre in-ceiling speaker so I can experience the 6.1

TexasEd
03-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Not really adedicated HT space. This is in my living room. I wish I was in the construction phase again. I could have had them put the wires in the wall instead of the ceiling. I feel a little limited in my ability to choose now.

paul_pci
03-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Not really adedicated HT space. This is in my living room. I wish I was in the construction phase again. I could have had them put the wires in the wall instead of the ceiling. I feel a little limited in my ability to choose now.

Well, do the best with what you got and let us know how it all turns out.