digital coaxial lengths [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : digital coaxial lengths

Astro
03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
at the moment i have a 1m length of kimber dv-75. I am looking to upgrade to the top of the line d60 cable. Only prob is that i can only get it in .5m length. the guy who i purchased the 1m off said that ide be better off sticking with 1m length because if i go with anything less i will likely end up having audio dropouts and problems like that. I find that a little hard to believe.
Anyone know if i would be totaly fine going with the .5m and there will be no difference,(maybe even a slight improvment over the 1m?) or will i end up having issues with it?
thanx:confused5:

markw
03-15-2006, 06:19 AM
I too find that a little hard to believe. I don't see any need to upgrade for adigital feed anyway. I doubt there would be ANY audiable difference but he cost himself a sale and that's money in your pocket.

edtyct
03-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Me three. I've used various lengths over the years w/o a hint of trouble. However, to be fair, I have read a technical report suggesting that shorter digital connections had a greater risk of timing problems, since the DAC clock might not have sufficient time to recover from staggered information. But I've never personally run into anything as dramatic as a dropout, let alone an audible difference of any kind.

N. Abstentia
03-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Why not just buy a $10 .5 meter cable and try it out? It will sound identical to your $115 Kimber.