Advice on set [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on set

pether
03-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Hello,

My set contains:

CD: Meridian 206B (1991)
Ampl.: Audio Innovations Classic 25 (=Audio Innovations 700) (1994)
Speakers: Epos ES-11 (1991)
Interlink: VandenHul D 102 mk 2
Sp. cables: MIT Terminator 3
Acousticcs: Rather bare room with wooden floor

My problem cosists of 2 things. I have a lot of sibilance (sharp s-es), and also i have lack of bass.

I tried modifying the amp, but that gave me even more sharpness.

Which component should i change ? I don't want to change the acoustics because I like the interior very much the way it is. I don't want very deep bass, only a bit more and strong. Are bigger speakers like the Epos ES-14, B + W 805 matrix, Kef 104-2 a good idea (all of them second-hand). Or should i change my amp to a mosfet or an Audiolab 8000-a ? This should give a less pronounced mid.
I like the soundstage my set gives me.

Florian
03-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Digital room correction such as the Tact RCS 2.0AA, Behringer DEQX2496, UltraCurve DSP8024 ;-)

topspeed
03-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Flo's idea will certainly work, although that TacT ain't cheap!

The other option is to look at the room/speaker interaction. If you are unwilling to alter the room or speaker placement to improve the sound, then the speaker has to be changed to one that is acoustically friendly to the room. Considering you don't like the highs or lows, a change in speakers would seem to be the logical choice. Modding your amp or other front end pieces will give you a minimal change, and sometimes not always for the better (as you found). You need a dramatic change, one that can only be accomplished by changing out your speakers.

Based on your current speakers and the ones you've listed, it sounds like you prefer the traditional British sound. Keep in mind, Brit speakers aren't exactly reknown for their bass performance, especially the older ones like you have mentioned. Of course, you could always add a sub to supplement the bass, although you would still be dealing with that hot top end.

Out of curiousity, have you considered anything else? More to the point, anything newer? Speakers have become far more refined in the 20 some-odd years since the Epos, B&W and KEF were designed. Cabinetry is less resonant, diffraction has been addressed, and components are far more accurate. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the classics and in fact, I'm listening to a pair of 20 yr old Mission Argonauts as I type this. That said, I've heard newer designs that cost less than these did ($2k) yet will easily blow them into the weeds. Progress marches on.

pether
03-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Well. British equipment served me well, i must say. All of my equipment is British!

The fact that i don't think about new stuff is that second-hand is so much cheaper, and that it already has proved itself over the years. I think some "classic" stuff is good enough for me. I am just looking for the wright combination!

I am NOT looking for deep bass! - 3dB at 40 Hz is okay with me, not -3 dB at 20 Hz. So no subwooferstuff. The Epos ES-11 is - 3dB at 60 Hz, and it's bass is a bit soft.

Maybe the combination with a valve-amp is not good.

Any advice ?

topspeed
03-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Price range?

pether
03-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Well. Pricerange 2nd hand wiil be 500 to 600 euro for speakers and also 500 to 600 euro for an amp. I don't know yet what comes first.
I live in Holland!

Thanks for advice!

topspeed
03-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Staying with a Brit theme, you may want to look into these Quad 21L's. (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ddspkrfull&1147743736&demo&3&4&) Plenty of extension, exquisite build, and you'll be buying from a dealer for peace of mind. Check audiogon for other options, but considering your tastes, I doubt you'd go wrong with the Quad's.

Hope this helps.

pether
03-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Will they also make a good combination with the valve-amp i have ?