Tunesday Tunage [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tunesday Tunage

ForeverAutumn
03-14-2006, 06:26 AM
It's that time of the week again. The first week back after a vacation is always a killer and very busy, so there wasn't a lot of listening time for me. But I did manage to squeeze in....

The Tragically Hip - Yer Favourites - This is a two disk, best of set. I spun disk one this week. Typical "best of" fare.

Truimph - Just a Game - Prompted by a post on another board.
Truimph - Allied Forces
Yes - The Ladder
Hem - Rabbit Songs

BarryL
03-14-2006, 06:49 AM
It's that time of the week again.

I've had these in rotation for about a week now, and they're out as of today. But they are currently still rotating, so here they are:

Rush: Caress of Steel (not much of interest here, but sets the stage for 2112)
Syd Barrett: Barrett (some nice tunes from the psychedlic floydian
Terry Draper: Light Years Later (some nice pop from a Klaatusian)
Chick Corea: The Ultimate Adventure (too much great playing for very little purpose)
David Gilmour: On An Island (a sentimental ode to love. I love it, but it's not r'n'r)
Galahad: Sleepers (sounds like Fish meets Pendragon. Not bad, but not in the A class)

Kaboom
03-14-2006, 12:36 PM
i'm finally able to SIT DOWN and LISTEN to some music, for a couple of hours this afternoon, in fact.
dire Straits: Communiqué (i seem to remember liking this A LOT MORE...)
Brubeck: Time out (soooo good)
Gerswin: Rhapsody in blue (played by Michel Camillo. Personally, i think he isnt the one to play this, and slaughters it mercilessly, but the telarc recording is EXCELLENT)
Pearl Jam: Ten
Death Cab for Cutie: Plans
Pink Floyd: The final Cut.
Bowie: Hunky Dory
blink 182: Take off your pants and jacket (okay, this doesnt qualify as music, but its getting warmer down here in spain and my car has a fold-down roof, so it just BEGS for this kind of music)
i think that's it.

3-LockBox
03-14-2006, 09:53 PM
I've listened to the following:

Triumvirat-Sparticus // kinda goofy lyrics at times, but the music is stellar. CD remaster is very good. This is one of those 'until recently' undiscovered gems for me, like Captain Beyond was a few years ago.

I've taken a second stab at Fish era Marillion (Script For A Jester's Tear, Fugazi) and I must say, I can do without it, classic or not, essential or otherwise.

Flower Kings-Adam & Eve // much better than anything I heard from this band a few years ago (Stardust We Are, Space Revolver); a keeper. Uses more than one vocalist, which is a good thing cuz Stolt's vox sux at times.

DCFC-Plans // this one has really grown on me. Deep, poetic stuff really. Even with a Grammy nod, its still underappreciated.

Cabaret Voltaire-Code // another blast from my closet techno past. A notch above many in the genre really; still fresh sounding. Kinda krautrock-ish.

Ozric Tentacles-The Hidden Step // speaking of techno...but rock oriented. I like this a lot.

3-LockBox
03-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Yes - The Ladder

Copy cat ;)

You know, I really liked The Hip back in the day. Kinda Canada's answer to REM:p

ForeverAutumn
03-15-2006, 06:12 AM
Copy cat ;)

You know, I really liked The Hip back in the day. Kinda Canada's answer to REM:p

You inspired me to spin The Ladder. Such a great disk!

Hubby used to be a huge Hip fan and turned me onto them. Road Apples is a classic that still gets a lot of play around our house. But it's been a long time since they've put out anything that either of us have really enjoyed. We started to lose interest in the late 90's when Phantom Power came out. They've gone downhill from there IMO.

3-LockBox
03-15-2006, 11:01 AM
You inspired me to spin The Ladder. Such a great disk!

I kinda wished they'd stayed on that path, instead of trying to resurrect past glory with a symphonic album (Magnification). Not that the resulting tour wasn't great - hearing those old songs done to a full orchestra. But I really think that keyboardist (some Rooskie whose name escapes me at the moment) and Billy Sherwood pushed these guys creatively.

Oh and speaking of Triumph...you don't have the Stages live album do you? Some killer (as well as not so killer) stuff on that one.

Also, do know Enchant? If you like Cryptic Vision, then you'd have to like Enchant.

ForeverAutumn
03-15-2006, 12:13 PM
I kinda wished they'd stayed on that path, instead of trying to resurrect past glory with a symphonic album (Magnification). Not that the resulting tour wasn't great - hearing those old songs done to a full orchestra. But I really think that keyboardist (some Rooskie whose name escapes me at the moment) and Billy Sherwood pushed these guys creatively.

Oh and speaking of Triumph...you don't have the Stages live album do you? Some killer (as well as not so killer) stuff on that one.

Also, do know Enchant? If you like Cryptic Vision, then you'd have to like Enchant.

Currently, I only have the two Triumph CDs listed in my first post. I'm reluctant to buy any more until they start remastering them (IF they remaster them). The two that I have are pretty poor when it comes to sound quality.

I've never heard of Enchant. But I'll have to look into them.

BarryL
03-15-2006, 01:26 PM

I think (or I may be making this up) they recorded with an orchestra because the rooskie keyboardist, Igor Khoroshev, left or was kicked out of the band, and at that point Wakeman vowed that he would never play with Yes again. They had no keyboard player, and being the good marketers that they are, they went for the orchestra.

In my opinion, Sherwood did nothing good for the band. The stuff he wrote was awful. On the other hand, the rest of the band members didn't care enough about writing to do anything about it. They said that Open Your Eyes was the Sherwood album. Yuch!

If anyone should get credit for doing something good with the band, it's Trevor Rabin.

3-LockBox
03-15-2006, 01:40 PM
I think (or I may be making this up) they recorded with an orchestra because the rooskie keyboardist, Igor Khoroshev, left or was kicked out of the band, and at that point Wakeman vowed that he would never play with Yes again. They had no keyboard player, and being the good marketers that they are, they went for the orchestra.

In my opinion, Sherwood did nothing good for the band. The stuff he wrote was awful. On the other hand, the rest of the band members didn't care enough about writing to do anything about it. They said that Open Your Eyes was the Sherwood album. Yuch!

If anyone should get credit for doing something good with the band, it's Trevor Rabin.

But isn't Anderson and Khoroshev making an album together, independant of Yes?

And I remember reading that Wakeman said he was remiss that Yes members couldn't accomodate his tour schedule so that he could be on that Magnification album. That might have been awesome.

Jim Clark
03-15-2006, 02:10 PM
I listened to all kinds of stuff last week but mainly spent some time with Davey's Mystery discs that arrived at long last.

*My stock Chyrsler mini van CDP doesn't like these discs/burns at all. Not sure why but I'm guessing that TDK blanks aren't all that they used to be. Not unique, Fuji used to be among the top too and now the good ones are harder and harder to find.

Disc one-have no idea what it is but I recall some rambling about some discs from CDbaby.com. I'm guessing that this is it. Really like it, especially the first 3/4's of the disc. Shoegaze/dreampop stuff that's completely enjoyable. Need to spend more time with it to fully appreciate it.

Disc two- honestly haven't been able to listen all the way through without reaching for the skip button. I will though.

Disc three- the mystery comp. Really liking this mix a great deal. I can pick out some of it but tracks 12 and 13 have seen their share of repeat play. tonight I'm going to put it into the PC and figure out what it is that I'm liking so much and hopefully grab them this week.

two outta three ain't too shabby.

Thanks Davey,
jc

opt80
03-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Van Morrison ~ Pay The Devil

Little Willies ~ Self Titled

Ray Davies ~Other People's Lives

Mark Lanegan\Isabel Campbell ~ Ballad of The Broken Seas

Alan

BradH
03-15-2006, 02:29 PM
But isn't Anderson and Khoroshev making an album together, independant of Yes?

And I remember reading that Wakeman said he was remiss that Yes members couldn't accomodate his tour schedule so that he could be on that Magnification album. That might have been awesome.

Hearing Wakeman on songs like "In The Presence Of" was awesome in 2002.

BTW, Anderson dropped Khoroshev like a used condom after the Masterworks tour.

Re: OYE. There's still some good suff there. "Fortune Teller"...

Rotacious Wednesday:

Steppenwolf - Steppenwolf (MFSL)
WAR - The World Is A Ghetto (Avenue Gold)
Matisyahu - Youth
Television - Old Waldorf, San Francisco/KSAN-FM - June 29, 1978

I can skin a trout and run a buck line...

ForeverAutumn
03-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Little Willies ~ Self Titled

Alan

For anyone who's interested, you can hear the full Little Willies album here...

http://www.emimusic.ca/thelittlewillies/

It's not really my taste, although I do enjoy Norah Jones' voice, but it sounds like a good CD for those who are into this type of music. I may end up picking it up to have around the house for times when I need some good dinner music, you know, like when my Mother-In-Law comes over.

Slosh
03-15-2006, 03:08 PM
The official mystery disc has been growing on me. I've gotten a pretty good handle on it by now but will wait for others to catch up a bit before unleasing my inane drivel.

NP: Fugazi - The Argument

ForeverAutumn
03-15-2006, 07:06 PM
The official mystery disc has been growing on me. I've gotten a pretty good handle on it by now but will wait for others to catch up a bit before unleasing my inane drivel.

NP: Fugazi - The Argument

I received three disks in the mail today (thanks Davey)...Mystery disk #1, Mystery disk #3, and New Disguise. Nothing marked Mystery disk #2. :confused:

I don't want to put them into the computer and ruin the surprise, so which one is the "official" mystery disk? #1? Did anyone else get these other two disks?

Davey
03-15-2006, 08:07 PM
I received three disks in the mail today (thanks Davey)...Mystery disk #1, Mystery disk #3, and New Disguise. Nothing marked Mystery disk #2. :confused:

I don't want to put them into the computer and ruin the surprise, so which one is the "official" mystery disk? #1? Did anyone else get these other two disks?
:nono: How many fingers am I holding up, mystery girl?

There were a few mystery discs, but everyone got a copy of #1 (well, except for one nameless loser, because I ran out of copies, and the CD was on loan to a buddy, and I'd already sealed up all the packages, and though I don't really like to admit it, I'm dumb) because it's the official Mystery Disc. Anyway, some peeps got #1 and #4, some got #1 and #2, you get the pic. Everyone's a winner this time. Do whatever you want, talk about one or all of them, or not. Hopefully most people got something they like, but just as much fun if they didn't, and I know some probably didn't :incazzato: (not sure I really know what incazzato even means?)

BarryL
03-16-2006, 05:42 AM
Hearing Wakeman on songs like "In The Presence Of" was awesome in 2002.

BTW, Anderson dropped Khoroshev like a used condom after the Masterworks tour.

The best I can tell is the guy is doing soundtracks.

He is an awesome player. I wish his work was more readily available. The ease and fluidity with which he played Yes music was astounding to me.

I have his solo piano CD. Even more of that would be welcome.