Denon Receiver not recognizing Dolby Digital [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon Receiver not recognizing Dolby Digital

kman68
03-13-2006, 02:05 PM
My Denon Receiver does not switch to Dolby Digital when set in Auto mode via PCM from a DVD source. It does switch to DTS when audio setup of DVD is set to DTS 5.1. When audio setup of DVD is set to Dolby Digital 5.1 it plays in whatever surround mode was last set in memory. Auto Surround is On. Auto Source is set.

It used to switch to Dolby Digital automatically. It stopped switching after playing DVD Audio in different modes - Ext In, Dolby Digital, Dolby PL II Cinema and Music, and DTS Cinema and Music to check playback differences.

Denon Receivers all use the same or very similar softare and interface. Is there a work around to this problem?

Woochifer
03-13-2006, 02:18 PM
when you say "set in Auto mode via PCM from a DVD source" what do you mean? Is the DVD player set to "PCM" while the receiver is set to the "Auto" mode?

If your receiver does not recognize Dolby Digital while a DD soundtrack is playing, then the only option it has without giving you silence is the analog output from the DVD player. PCM is a separate audio format, and that option from either the DVD player or the receiver should only be enabled if your receiver has trouble recognizing a PCM datastream.

I suggest that you clarify your inquiry.

What is your DVD player's output mode?
What is your receiver's input mode?
Is your receiver decoding a digital audio input or an analog audio input?

kman68
03-14-2006, 07:21 AM
when you say "set in Auto mode via PCM from a DVD source" what do you mean? Is the DVD player set to "PCM" while the receiver is set to the "Auto" mode?

Denon has an Auto Source mode that selects either PCM (toslink) or Digital Coaxil automatically when a source is detected. The DVD player is set to output PCM and 5.1 analog for DVD Audio.

If your receiver does not recognize Dolby Digital while a DD soundtrack is playing, then the only option it has without giving you silence is the analog output from the DVD player. PCM is a separate audio format, and that option from either the DVD player or the receiver should only be enabled if your receiver has trouble recognizing a PCM datastream.

The DVD player has the following options:
SPDIF/PCM = toslink/fiber optic
SPDIF/RAW = digital coaxil
OFF = RCA R/L

It is set to output SPDIF/PCM. No R/L RCA cables are attached to the DVD deck.

Denon, further has an Autosurround mode that decodes Dolby Digital or DTS signals from either a toslink/fiber optic or digital coaxil cable, if the signal is present. DTS signals are recognized by the receiver. Dolby Digital signals are not. When the receiver is receiving a Dolby Digital signal it switches to Dolby PL II or whatever DSP was last selected trying to force the Dolby Digital signal.

While playing a DVD Audio source, I switched to the PCM connection and the receiver outputs a 2.0 signal. I tried to force the issue by switching to Dolby PL II which resulted in a 5.1 sound output that was inferior to the "5.1 DVD Audio" analog output. I have not been able to play Dolby Digital since.

What I am looking for is a work around to the problem, a method of forcing the receiver to switch to Dolby Digital.

paul_pci
03-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Your description of the problem is creating more confusion than clarity. Just clearly and concisely answer the following questions:

What cables do you have going from the DVD player to the receiver?

What audio/video sources are you having trouble with? DVD-Audio? and/or DVD movies?

Please note that DVD-Audio disks will not play through a digital connection unless there is an accompanying Dolby Digital and/or DTS track, but that is not the equivalent to DVD-Audio hi-res format.

kman68
03-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Woochifer your questions prompted me to open the DVD Player manual. The mamoth Denon manual seperated PCM as an Optical specific output. When I upgraded from a Digital Coaxil to a Toslink Optical cable I set the DVD to SPDIF/PCM. That was when the receiver stopped switching to Dolby Digital.

The DVD Player manual explained PCM as 2.0 Audio and SPDIF/RAW as the 5.1 Digital output regardless of Optical or Coaxil cable. I switched the DVD Output to RAW and after what seemed like a long pause, Dolby Digital was recognized by the receiver.

DTS was recognized in PCM mode. This evening I will have to test DTS to see if it is recognized via the RAW Output.

Thank You.