Correct Hookup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Correct Hookup

ssarm@mac.com
03-11-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm looking to get a nice outlet to play music off of my computer, itunes to be specific. I was looking into getting a nice pair of bookshelf speakers, but someone told me that I cannot use them with a computer. If not, what equipment do i need to have a nice 300-400 dollar audio setup?

Can i use Apples Airport Express base with Airtunes, and connect that too a pair of bookshelf speakers?

Thanks for your help, I've been listening to music all my life, but am new to the speaker technology thing.

N. Abstentia
03-11-2006, 09:33 PM
The thing you're missing in both cases is an amplifier (or receiver actually..which has an amp and preamp built together.. You can get a receiver and hook it to your computer, you should be able to find a low end new one or a little better used one for around $200....leaving $200 for speakers. Paradigm Atoms.

OR you could get a really nice set of amplified computer speakers for close to $200, something like the Klipsch Pro Media.

OR you could get a set of nice powered studio monitors like Alesis or Mackie for around $350-$400.

Do you need to fill up the room or will you be sitting at your computer desk listening to music?

ssarm@mac.com
03-11-2006, 10:25 PM
it'll be a bedroom, but i'll be at the desk/in bed/lounging around

I was originally considering the atoms, I've had recommendations for those. does the "low end" receiver effect the quality of audio, or does it just act as an intermediary/

Is there a big difference between a amped computer speaker and say the atoms? at the same price.

i realize my questions are pretty basic/thanks for your help.

is there any FAQ about this specific subject I can look at? I didn't see anything related in the LEARN secion at this site.

markw
03-13-2006, 04:48 AM
With the Atoms, or any other "home" speaker, you WILL need some sort of amplification, either from a receiver (most cost effective option) or an amplifier, preferably integrated.

Computer speakers contain their own built in amplification.

Cal Blacksmith
03-13-2006, 08:55 AM
You might want to check out the Klipsch ProMedia GMX 2.1 system Klipsch has on blow out B stock. Reg $149.99 now $79.99 direct from Klipsch. I bought a GMX 5.1 (same setup only 5 speakrs + Sub instead of 2 speakers and sub) for my son to play games on and the quality of the sound of it is really very good, I would even use it as a HT setup in a small room.

The price is killer and you are buying direct from Klipsch.
The link is:
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=802&dmore=True&rmore=False

Just click on the link and you are good to go.

Cal Blacksmith
03-13-2006, 09:38 AM
it'll be a bedroom, but i'll be at the desk/in bed/lounging around

I was originally considering the atoms, I've had recommendations for those. does the "low end" receiver effect the quality of audio, or does it just act as an intermediary/

Is there a big difference between a amped computer speaker and say the atoms? at the same price.

i realize my questions are pretty basic/thanks for your help.

is there any FAQ about this specific subject I can look at? I didn't see anything related in the LEARN secion at this site.

Everything in the audio chain affects the quality. Gargbage in garbage out. I recomended a nice computer setup above but if you want to go with a receiver and speakers, I would recomend a used receiver from the 70s, that was the time of the "stereo wars" and there were some really nice units made that now can be bought for a "song" HK made some great units at that time. The going rate for these is about $100 to $150. A couple of them can be seen at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-HARMON-KARDON-330B-Stero-Receiver-WORKS_W0QQitemZ5879643591QQcategoryZ50596QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/HARMON-KARDON-RECEIVER-TWIN-AMP-SERVICED-430-AMP_W0QQitemZ5879489634QQcategoryZ50596QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem
The 430 would be my choice, this is a great series of receiver.

I would recomend hooking these amps up to a used (only way to buy them) set of Klipsch KG4s. A review of these fine speakers (though not exactly bookshelf size at 24"x16"x11" and 40#) they make a great start in the world of audio. These speakers used should be in the $200 to $400 range, less if you are lucky.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-kg4-floor-standing-speakers_W0QQitemZ5877724932QQcategoryZ61378QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://stereos.about.com/od/loudspeaker1/fr/klipsch_kg4.htm

ssarm@mac.com
03-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks for clearing this up with me

If I wanted to get a new pair of computer speakers, whats some nice stuff in the 200-400 dollar range?

Will a $300 computer speaker operate the same as a $300 bookshelf?

Cal Blacksmith
03-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Klipsch Pro media or GMX are very good computer speakers and no they are not the same. Computer speakers are designed to sound best NEARFIELD that is, fairly close to them like on a desk while at the computer, bookshelfs are made to fill a larger space with sound. One is made to sound good up close and the other sounds better farther away.

ssarm@mac.com
03-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Oh, I see. Both rooms I'll be staying in are relatively small. Do you think a pair of bookshelf speakers would be overkill, I mean I want a full sound in the entire room not just at my desk. Right now I'm in school in boston and this weekend hopefully I'll be able to go to a couple of stores and check some stuff out.