Whatcha been watching? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha been watching?

L.J.
03-10-2006, 05:18 PM
So all you guys out there with your big speakers and TV's, fancy DVD players and boooming subs.....what you been doing with your system? What movies have you peeped out lately?

musicman1999
03-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Good night,and good luck.

good flick.

bill

bobsticks
03-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Hey LJ,

Despite all the equipment I'm not that big of a movie guy. So, off the top of the pile the last three dvds I threw on were:
1) Alison Krauss + Union Station "Live"-currently playing;up until a couple of years ago if it didn't have a Marshall stack or a bunch of twisted goth characters I probably would've dismissed it, and though this isn't my usual cuppa tea, these guys/gal are extremely talented
2) Sade-"Lovers Live"-do I really have to say it?
3) Dave Matthews Band-"The Central Park Concert"--amazingly charasmatic and tight

...and I reviewed "Goodfellas" for about the hundreth-and-seventieth time last night.

Congrats on the 1000th and good luck with the bedroom set-up

s dog
03-10-2006, 08:32 PM
So all you guys out there with your big speakers and TV's, fancy DVD players and boooming subs.....what you been doing with your system? What movies have you peeped out lately? Harry Potter and the goblet of fire is on the top of my list for this weekend, looking forward to it very much.

paul_pci
03-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Been rewatching Band of Brothers this week. Can't believe I ignored it when it first ran on HBO. I'm through episode 6.

GMichael
03-11-2006, 05:33 AM
So all you guys out there with your big speakers and TV's, fancy DVD players and boooming subs.....what you been doing with your system? What movies have you peeped out lately?

Mostly TV. Scifi as much as possible. Love SG1 & Atlantis as well as Battle Star Galactica. Smallville is good too. Wifey & I are through season one of Lois & Clark and onto disk 3 of season 2. Believe it or not, she never heard of Superman. Gonna pick up the original series and movies soon. What a sheltered life she's had.

What have you been watching with your new system? My guess, something with the word "does" in the title?

L.J.
03-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Hey LJ,

Despite all the equipment I'm not that big of a movie guy. So, off the top of the pile the last three dvds I threw on were:
1) Alison Krauss + Union Station "Live"-currently playing;up until a couple of years ago if it didn't have a Marshall stack or a bunch of twisted goth characters I probably would've dismissed it, and though this isn't my usual cuppa tea, these guys/gal are extremely talented
2) Sade-"Lovers Live"-do I really have to say it?
3) Dave Matthews Band-"The Central Park Concert"--amazingly charasmatic and tight

...and I reviewed "Goodfellas" for about the hundreth-and-seventieth time last night.

Congrats on the 1000th and good luck with the bedroom set-up

Bobsticks,

Sade is off the hook. One of my favorites. I've looked at this DVD afew times but haven't picked it up yet. How is it? As if I need to even ask....

http://image.allmusic.com/13/adg/cov200/drt100/t171/t1718612u80.jpg

L.J.
03-11-2006, 06:52 AM
What have you been watching with your new system? My guess, something with the word "does" in the title?

(LJ picks GM's head up outta the gutter)

Man, I'm a movie junkie....let me see, in the last week or so I've watched:

Rocky
Ultimate Avengers
Behind Enemy Lines
Bad Company
Chronicles of Riddick
Congo
The Legend of Zorro
Zathura

That's all I can think of. I've been playing alot of Madden 06 also. I watched Bad Company, Zorro and Zathura on my bedroom system and some timbre matched surrounds are a must for me. It just doesn't sound right with those yammies. I still gotta get stands for those C-1's and finish tweaking and find a good spot for the sub.

bobsticks
03-11-2006, 07:26 AM
LJ,
No you really don't have to ask. In fairness, it should be noted that in addition to, you know,letting you gaze at Sade for an hour or so, the vid really highlights her band. I was impressed by the performance and from lighting to sound to setlist all bases were covered.
Good choices one and all for the flicks. I remember reading a thread not to long ago in which someone posted something to the effect of having a rediculous number of dvds and always watched the same five or ten. That's me too;too much time with the music, or perhaps more appropriately, not enough time for everything. I do plan on picking up "Jarhead" today or tomorrow. Have you seen it?

L.J.
03-11-2006, 07:47 AM
LJ,
No you really don't have to ask. In fairness, it should be noted that in addition to, you know,letting you gaze at Sade for an hour or so, the vid really highlights her band. I was impressed by the performance and from lighting to sound to setlist all bases were covered.
Good choices one and all for the flicks. I remember reading a thread not to long ago in which someone posted something to the effect of having a rediculous number of dvds and always watched the same five or ten. That's me too;too much time with the music, or perhaps more appropriately, not enough time for everything. I do plan on picking up "Jarhead" today or tomorrow. Have you seen it?

No, I have not.

Right now I'm working on the DVD's I still got in plastic. No I'm not crazy. When you buy 5 or 6 at a time you always don't have time to watch them all right away. I even have a few that I've never seen before sitting up there. In the end, when I feel like watching a movie, there's always something on the shelf for me to grab.

I'm gonna order that Sade for sure. The only reason I didn't get it is because I have most of her stuff already. I can just put any of her albums on repeat and just listen to it over and over without getting tired of it.

bobsticks
03-11-2006, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=L.J.]No, I have not.

Right now I'm working on the DVD's I still got in plastic. No I'm not crazy. When you buy 5 or 6 at a time you always don't have time to watch them all right away. I even have a few that I've never seen before sitting up there. In the end, when I feel like watching a movie, there's always something on the shelf for me to grab.

I'm right there with you. In fact, that begs the question, " Have you ever second-guessed yourself and not bought something because you just might have it at home?". I know I have.
Buy the Sade, it's worth it for artistic merit alone. It has other uses too. Put the little ones to bed, dim the lights, share a bottle of wine with wifey while watching said video and---whoops, more little ones on the way:ihih:

GMichael
03-11-2006, 08:22 AM
(LJ picks GM's head up outta the gutter)

Gasp, choke, snnnrrrrrktttt....
Gutter.... need gutter.... gasp... put me back! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.......

Man, I'm a movie junkie....let me see, in the last week or so I've watched:

Rocky
Ultimate Avengers
Behind Enemy Lines
Bad Company
Chronicles of Riddick
Congo
The Legend of Zorro
Zathura

That's all I can think of. I've been playing alot of Madden 06 also. I watched Bad Company, Zorro and Zathura on my bedroom system and some timbre matched surrounds are a must for me. It just doesn't sound right with those yammies. I still gotta get stands for those C-1's and finish tweaking and find a good spot for the sub.

You go movie man. I've been stocking up on movies that I haven't seen yet. I'm expecting to be without cable for a bit when we make our move. Don't want to get caught with nothing to watch. Have a couple dozen movies still in the wrappers.

L.J.
03-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Have you ever second-guessed yourself and not bought something because you just might have it at home?"

No I haven't had that honor yet. But sometimes I forget what movies I have on the shelf, so when I'm looking for something to watch, I always get a suprise. Something like "oh yeah, I forgot I picked this up).

I'm up 236 or so DVD's. Wonder what's gonna happen when that number doubles :yikes:

Woochifer
03-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Closing in on March Madness, so I've been watching some of the various conference tournaments. My Bruins closed out Cal and the Pac-10 title today, now comes the waiting game to see where they get seeded and whether they stay on the west coast or get shipped out somewhere.

As far as movies go, I got the Controversial Classics, Volume 2 DVD set with All The President's Men, Network, and Dog Day Afternoon. All of them stellar, prescient, and relevant films, especially with the current political climate and how the media operates in this day and age. It's been years since I saw these films, and it's amazing how well they've held up. The scary thing is that Network was intended to be a dark satire, but it ended up predicting things to come. The transfers on Network and Dog Day Afternoon look especially good. I'm just starting to mine through the extras. The documentary material for All The President's Men should be especially fascinating with "Deep Throat" revealing himself last year.

But, I'm not altogether sure why this set was labeled "controversial" because I don't remember them being especially controversial at the time they came out, although if high profile movies like these were released today, then I can see them creating controversy.

dph1965
03-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Being lazy & catching up -

Sin City
Munich
March of the Penguins (don't ask - but it was enjoyable)
College Basketball - March Madness coming.....
And, thank god - New Sopranos this Sunday

L.J.
04-18-2006, 09:07 AM
...I gotta chance to peep out a few flicks. Here's what I watched:

X-Men 1.5
http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/577/40176577.jpg

Bourne Supremacy
http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/693/40696693.jpg

Alien vs Predator
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/images/covers/coverd/10_19/236114.JPG

Jason and the Argonauts
http://a1596.g.akamaitech.net/f/1596/1167/1d/images.columbiahouse.com/content/art/dvd/cover/00/15/001585_dba_lbf_01.jpg

One of things I love about having a great selection at home is no dang Block Buster or waiting on Netflix to finally have that new release available. If something interest me, I just go pick it up now. I'm pushing close to 250 DVD's but I don't think I'll ever catch Sir TT.

Anybody else get a chance to watch anything?

Kam
04-18-2006, 09:40 AM
just saw Aguirre: The Wrath of God... was gonna do a review of Junebug soon...

topspeed
04-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Hustle and Flow.

This was actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be, especially considering I abhor rap music. I can see why Terrance Howard received an academy nod. He was very convincing, especially in light of the extras where you find that he is nothing like his character. Hell, the guy talks like he has an Ivy League education! As a person, he is much closer to his character in Crash than D.Jay in Hustle.

Good flick.