1000 posts for LJ! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 1000 posts for LJ!

L.J.
03-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Wow 1000 posts already. Man I gotta get a life! :ciappa:

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help and advice you've given me over the months. When I first started posting here, my system was not calibrated, I had no clue what an SPL meter was and my speakers placement wasn't perfect.

Following the advice I got here gave me instant results. It was pretty cool to hear the diff in sound from simply raising my surrounds and properly adjusting their levels. I remember when i used to turn my surrounds all the way to +10 with the speakers about 5 ft away. Boy was that off. And just think, I thought it sounded good :crazy:. I can now pass that info on to others who are walking around as clueless as I was.

My HT world has gotten alot bigger. I've discovered that there is more than BB, CC and Monster cable. I've had the chance to audition alot of quality speakers I never knew existed as well as subs and other gear.

I still have alot to learn and will keep asking silly question so get use to it. Thank again everyone :cornut:

GMichael
03-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey LJ! That's great. 1000 and counting. So glad you joined our familly. You bring a smile to my face with every post.
2k is just around the corner.

JohnMichael
03-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Good job LJ! Glad you are a member. I just passed 500 posts. What the hell have I been doing with my time? GMichael please don't try to guess.

GMichael
03-10-2006, 10:11 AM
No need to guess:

33% work
33% listening to music
33% playing with the lawn mower man.

L.J.
03-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Hey LJ! That's great. 1000 and counting. So glad you joined our familly. You bring a smile to my face with every post.
2k is just around the corner.

:blush2:

GM, if your this nice to your wife, she's very lucky.

GMichael
03-10-2006, 10:57 AM

GM, if your this nice to your wife, she's very lucky.

She says that I'm the lucky one.
And I agree.

Tanx. :blush2:

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
L.J Congrad !You see, with all the trouble you had with the UPS this made your 1000 post possible:ihih:

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 12:00 PM

GM, if your this nice to your wife, she's very lucky.He has to be nice if he want's to get lucky:ihih:

L.J.
03-10-2006, 12:02 PM
L.J Congrad !You see, with all the trouble you had with the UPS this made your 1000 post possible:ihih:

:prrr:

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 12:53 PM
:prrr:Did'nt know you were "French":ihih: Bonjour L.J j'espere que tout va mieux!

GMichael
03-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Did'nt know you were "French":ihih: Bonjour L.J j'espere que tout va mieux!

Eeeyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaa..........

JohnMichael
03-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Nothing like a little foreign tongue.

GMichael
03-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Nothing like a little foreign tongue.

Slurpies for everyone?

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Nothing like a little foreign tongue. All depends on how foreign!

L.J.
03-10-2006, 01:49 PM
I leave for one minute and now look at this place.

GMichael
03-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Sorry about that Killer. The devil made me do it.

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Sorry about that Killer. The devil made me do it.Dont tell lies or you'll turn like this man:ihih:

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Slurpies for everyone?Do we have to share staws?:ihih:

GMichael
03-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Do we have to share staws?:ihih:

Not that kind of slurpy. Open wider.

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Not that kind of slurpy. Open wider.Sorry but just not your flavour:ihih: This string is really starting to hurt ,going to leave a bruise.:ihih:

L.J.
03-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Ok that's it. Pat P has lost his pic privileges.

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Ok that's it. Pat P has lost his pic privileges.What?I thought I look good in red:ihih:

GMichael
03-10-2006, 04:42 PM
What?I thought I look good in red:ihih:

Talk about a double bagger!:mad2: :yikes:

L.J.
03-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Pat, I'm curious as to what you have stored on your HD. Where the heck do you get these pics from?

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Pat, I'm curious as to what you have stored on your HD. Where the heck do you get these pics from?This is one of me in the morning,now guys to fight for me .:ihih:

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Talk about a double bagger!:mad2: :yikes:Look into my eyes,what do you see .:ihih:

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Pat, I'm curious as to what you have stored on your HD. Where the heck do you get these pics from?I'll find anything on web,thats why I sleep only 4hrs a day.When I go to rock concert I get the girls to stuff camera in their bra ,they dont get frisk by security :ihih: I have some great shout of R.E.M ,(but he was posing for me)spouse said he was more flirting:confused:

GMichael
03-11-2006, 05:36 AM
Look into my eyes,what do you see .:ihih:

I think someone needs a time out.

JohnMichael
03-11-2006, 12:44 PM
GMichael, LJ do you ever wonder what Pat.P might be doing with our pictures we posted?

PAT.P
03-11-2006, 12:57 PM
GMichael, LJ do you ever wonder what Pat.P might be doing with our pictures we posted?HA HA HA You'll find out one day!:ihih:

GMichael
03-11-2006, 03:29 PM
GMichael, LJ do you ever wonder what Pat.P might be doing with our pictures we posted?

Oh no. Now you reminded him. Expect your body on my legs and LJ's head.

JohnMichael
03-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Oh no. Now you reminded him. Expect your body on my legs and LJ's head.

It certainly would make an interesting avatar.

PAT.P
03-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh no. Now you reminded him. Expect your body on my legs and LJ's head.For this guys I need you all standing tall.already have L.J in kitchen with pink bag:idea: Now need the J&GMichael standing proud and tall.Swimsuit,dressup ,PJ you know and if not I'll put you all in dress:ihih:

GMichael
03-12-2006, 03:30 PM
For this guys I need you all standing tall.already have L.J in kitchen with pink bag:idea: Now need the J&GMichael standing proud and tall.Swimsuit,dressup ,PJ you know and if not I'll put you all in dress:ihih:

Ah man. I just ate.

PAT.P
03-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Ah man. I just ate.Here desert :ihih:

PAT.P
03-12-2006, 03:49 PM
BTW were L.J?Did we loose him?:16:

GMichael
03-12-2006, 03:55 PM
I think I heard him hurling out back.

PAT.P
03-12-2006, 04:06 PM
I think I heard him hurling out back.Poor guy ,guess the presure of 1000 post got to him?

L.J.
03-13-2006, 06:53 AM
You guys are too much.....I'm never gonna live that pink bag down. Pat, some of your pics are quite disturbing. Perhaps something a little more easy on the eyes......

dean_martin
03-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Congrats, LJ. I tried to rush back from my weekend trip in time for the party, but I see I missed it. I luv dress-up parties. Wish i coulda been there when you puked, LJ. That must have been a special moment. Fortunately, PATP was there to capture everything for posterity.

PAT.P
03-13-2006, 07:34 PM
You guys are too much.....I'm never gonna live that pink bag down. Pat, some of your pics are quite disturbing. Perhaps something a little more easy on the eyes......How about this one?:16:

L.J.
03-14-2006, 06:21 AM
How about this one?:16:

An eye pumping iron. Interesting.

kexodusc
03-14-2006, 07:06 AM
An eye pumping iron. Interesting.

LJ...still waiting for that comprehensive, and hopefully very positive review of the new Titanic sub (my jaw hit the floor when I built one for mom and dad). Is this your first sealed sub? What did you have before? What do you think of this things punch, sound quality? Have you heard anything comparable in a store somewhere you'd compare it too...c'mon.

I'm losing sleep here knowing I steered you towards that purchase...don't keep leave me hangin' dude...:(

L.J.
03-14-2006, 08:03 AM
LJ...still waiting for that comprehensive, and hopefully very positive review of the new Titanic sub (my jaw hit the floor when I built one for mom and dad). Is this your first sealed sub? What did you have before? What do you think of this things punch, sound quality? Have you heard anything comparable in a store somewhere you'd compare it too...c'mon.

I'm losing sleep here knowing I steered you towards that purchase...don't keep leave me hangin' dude...:(

Kex, well I'm kinda still tweaking around with everything. Yes this is my first sealed sub. Basically my first impression was that it plays clean and can hit hard. There was no boominess. You shoulda saw the smile on my face :). I was actually suprised that my room was filled so nicely. I still haven't had a chance to let this baby rip, though. I did do a U-571 demo when I first hooked it up, to make sure everything was working, and that's when I gotta brief sample of what this baby can do. I haven't heard alot of subs so I really can't do a comparison. After using a Yamaha sub for about 5 years I got used to that boomy, kinda sloppy bass. So when I got my Energy S12.3 it kinda threw me off. I didn't think it sounded right at first. I wasn't used to clean bass. Now it has to be that way. I have a good idea now about what type of sound I like and the Titanic was exactly what I wanted out of a sub. Especially for only $358. I'm curious about that 15" version. Maybe in the future. I will probably do some more DIY projects in the future. Good sound for less money can become very addicting. :ihih:

GMichael
03-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Kex, well I'm kinda still tweaking around with everything. Yes this is my first sealed sub. Basically my first impression was that it plays clean and can hit hard. There was no boominess. You shoulda saw the smile on my face :). I was actually suprised that my room was filled so nicely. I still haven't had a chance to let this baby rip, though. I did do a U-571 demo when I first hooked it up, to make sure everything was working, and that's when I gotta brief sample of what this baby can do. I haven't heard alot of subs so I really can't do a comparison. After using a Yamaha sub for about 5 years I got used to that boomy, kinda sloppy bass. So when I got my Energy S12.3 it kinda threw me off. I didn't think it sounded right at first. I wasn't used to clean bass. Now it has to be that way. I have a good idea now about what type of sound I like and the Titanic was exactly what I wanted out of a sub. Especially for only $358. I'm curious about that 15" version. Maybe in the future. I will probably do some more DIY projects in the future. Good sound for less money can become very addicting. :ihih:

I am interested in the 15" also. But not sure if it will be a clean as a 10". Kex? Have you heard the 15 yet? Isn't that what you use?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Soooooooo, we have another post whore, but this one has a new sub. Isn't this special!

Congrats to ya bruh, I have been on this site since 1997, and I still don't have a thousand posts. Or do I?

I do, I do!!

L.J.
03-14-2006, 11:47 AM
post whore

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me :prrr:

Congrats to ya bruh, I have been on this site since 1997, and I still don't have a thousand posts.

What's up dude, shouldn't you be posting some reviews on all the new releases?

kexodusc
03-14-2006, 11:53 AM
I am interested in the 15" also. But not sure if it will be a clean as a 10". Kex? Have you heard the 15 yet? Isn't that what you use?

I use a different, less expensive 15" woofer. I've heard the 15" Titanic, and it's every bit as "clean" and tight as the other Titanic woofers. Based on my subwoofer demos in stores, I always found larger woofers didn't sound as good as smaller ones, but now I know why that isn't true (and what was contribution to the better sound in smaller woofers).

I'd say at lower volumes (below 100 dB), the 15" Titanic actually sounds the best of the 3. It just goes louder and deeper. Good woofer. Depending on what you're looking for, there might be better though.

The Titanics are really a great balance between output, extension, and sound quality. Without getting into a lot of detail (and possibly debate), it's really hard to get the best sound quality, ouput, and extension characteristics all in one package without breaking the bank. I traded maximum output for a bit better sound quality. It was also a budgeting decision though, my 15" woofer is a bit more efficient, so I could get away with much less power. In my room, I rarerly need bass peaks to top the 105-dB point, even at the loudest volumes I can tolerate at parties, so I went with a Quatro woofer. It's probably their most popular sub because it's cheap, efficient (therefore needs a much smaller, cheaper amp), sounds great because of the lower excursion (that's right, low xmax sounds better), and likes sealed or ported enclosures...Plus, I have room for two large boxes (20 inch cube or so...already have the 2nd woofer, just haven't used it) if I ever need more output.

I lose a few Hz below 20-21 to the 15" Titanic, and I won't top 120 dB because of it's much lower power handling, but that's okay for me (for now).
Some of the PE forum guys have 3 or 4 of those Titanics in Infinite Baffle setups that would probably get me arrested. I gotta admit, that would be awesome. For purely HT applications I think I'd still consider the Titanics...Adire has some could woofers too, but damn their prices have gone up.

For music only apps, well, the 15" Titanic isn't Dayton's best option. For 50/50 solutions, you'll have to consider how loud you want the thing to play vs how good you want it to sound. The cheaper Daytons sound a bit better IMO, but the Titanics have so much more output compared to them I think I'd be willing to make that sacrifice in the right circumstances.

I thought PE was actually selling the Quatro as a kit now too, but I couldn't find it.

For most people, a 12" Titanic or 15" Quatro is all the subwoofer you'd ever need.

GMichael
03-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Our new living room will be open to the dining room & kitchen. This will give us a total room of 600 sqft. I don't know how well my ported12" Infinty, 350w/rms sub will handle that. I use it for more HT than music. Maybe 70/30.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me :prrr:

How about if my words broke your bones?? LOLOL

What's up dude, shouldn't you be posting some reviews on all the new releases?

Hey I am working on it ding dang it!!! (grrrrrrr)

kexodusc
03-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Our new living room will be open to the dining room & kitchen. This will give us a total room of 600 sqft. I don't know how well my ported12" Infinty, 350w/rms sub will handle that. I use it for more HT than music. Maybe 70/30.

All depends on how loud you listen to the sub now. Most commercial 10, 12, 15 subwoofers aren't the most efficient in design...I've seen a few older Infinity subs (made by Vifa) (and a lot of car audio subs) in the low 80-85 dB so they need high wattage amps. Don't know about yours though...350 watts sounds like an aweful lot if the woofer is up to it. I would think Infinity is smart enough not put too much power behind your sub. You'll lose some bass reinforcement though, no question about it, but might not need a whole new sub though.

My room now is 480 sq feet or so...I thump along just fine...even my old PW-2100 and PW-2200 had no problems there.

GMichael
03-14-2006, 12:49 PM
All depends on how loud you listen to the sub now. Most commercial 10, 12, 15 subwoofers aren't the most efficient in design...I've seen a few older Infinity subs (made by Vifa) (and a lot of car audio subs) in the low 80-85 dB so they need high wattage amps. Don't know about yours though...350 watts sounds like an aweful lot if the woofer is up to it. I would think Infinity is smart enough not put too much power behind your sub. You'll lose some bass reinforcement though, no question about it, but might not need a whole new sub though.

My room now is 480 sq feet or so...I thump along just fine...even my old PW-2100 and PW-2200 had no problems there.

Geez Kex,

The upgrade bug is calling my name and you shoot me down. I like the sub loud. No, louder! Make that LOUD!!!! I want it to shake the walls. The Infinity does a good job of shaking the walls of a 25 by 14 room. But what happens when it's in a 28 by 25 room?
I'll need more base right? RIGHT?! When the Polar Express rolls though, I want my neighbors to look for the train.

But really. I do love my base. I like the idea of a sealed sub to get the tighter base. But not sure how much tighter a sealed 15" will be compared to a ported 12".
I was also looking at the SVS PC-PLUS. Ported, but down to 12 - 16 htz must sound great.

So many great subs. I want them all!

L.J.
03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
I take it you fellas don't got pictures and nic nacs hanging up. I'm on rattle patrol in the bedroom tonight(GM, head out the gutter). Wifee told me pictures were rattlin' in the hall as well. And that's a 10". Couldn't imagine what a 15" would do. I put rubber bumpers behind the pics where my 12" is and that worked fine.

GMichael
03-14-2006, 01:50 PM
I had to rattle proof everything last year. I'll be thinking ahead this time. Foam rubber all around.
My head and the gutter go together like peanut butter & jelly. One can't live without the other.

kexodusc
03-14-2006, 02:04 PM
GMichael:

Woofer size doesn't contribute to the "tightness" of a sub. So a 15" sealed isn't disadvantaged compared to a 12" ported. In fact, a 12" ported isn't anymore tight than 15" ported (all things equal).
Tightness really depends more on compliance and excursion. Larger woofers have more excursion, but they also use less of it to produce the same output as a smaller woofer. If anything, they should sound more tight. A lot of bigger subs cheap out though and are really inefficient, needing to use more excursion than the smaller woofers. And ported box sizes are kept as small as WAF allows, these two factors can contribute to compromise that people often mistake for tightness, IMO.

You sound like a great candidate for the 15" Titanic...gobs of bass in a sealed enclosure. You'll get the best of both worlds, and not get the 1 note boominess a lot of $1000 or cheaper 15" subs have.

L.J.
03-14-2006, 02:26 PM
You sound like a great candidate for the 15" Titanic...gobs of bass in a sealed enclosure. You'll get the best of both worlds, and not get the 1 note boominess a lot of $1000 or cheaper 15" subs have.

Kex, you run an excellent sales pitch. Hell, put me down for one too.

GMichael
03-14-2006, 02:27 PM
GMichael:

Woofer size doesn't contribute to the "tightness" of a sub. So a 15" sealed isn't disadvantaged compared to a 12" ported. In fact, a 12" ported isn't anymore tight than 15" ported (all things equal).
Tightness really depends more on compliance and excursion. Larger woofers have more excursion, but they also use less of it to produce the same output as a smaller woofer. If anything, they should sound more tight. A lot of bigger subs cheap out though and are really inefficient, needing to use more excursion than the smaller woofers. And ported box sizes are kept as small as WAF allows, these two factors can contribute to compromise that people often mistake for tightness, IMO.

Cool, thanks for the endorsment.

Where's that credit card? Ssshhhhhh... Doen't tell wifey. I'll order it while she's back in the Philippines.

GMichael
03-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Kex, you run an excellent sales pitch. Hell, put me down for one too.

Too? Two sounds great. How much base would two give me?

kexodusc
03-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Cool, thanks for the endorsment.

Where's that credit card? Ssshhhhhh... Doen't tell wifey. I'll order it while she's back in the Philippines.

Ha, I've got all kinds of plans for the HT room while my wife's in Australia for 6 months...

GMichael
03-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Ha, I've got all kinds of plans for the HT room while my wife's in Australia for 6 months...

6 months!? But but,... how will you, uh, you know... uhm.. Where will uh...

How is that gonna work for you?

L.J.
03-14-2006, 03:18 PM
6 months!!!! Nope, not me. No way. And I've been married for 8 years. Good luck!!!!!!

L.J.
03-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Too? Two sounds great. How much base would two give me?

If I had a dedicated room and my nearest neighbors were 200 feet away(cough, cough), then heck yeah. Maybe you'll have to wear seat belts :smilewinkgrin:

GMichael
03-14-2006, 04:34 PM
If I had a dedicated room and my nearest neighbors were 200 feet away(cough, cough), then heck yeah. Maybe you'll have to wear seat belts :smilewinkgrin:

Hang on tight everyone. We're gonna watch JP3 tonight. Anyone who may need to take dump should go now before it's too late.

GMichael
03-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Kex, can't help noticing that you're not a big fan of the EQ that the sub comes with. You like this BFD thing. So tell me, what's the BFD?

kexodusc
03-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Kex, can't help noticing that you're not a big fan of the EQ that the sub comes with. You like this BFD thing. So tell me, what's the BFD?

There's nothing wrong with the parametric EQ included in the amp on the kits. But it only can dial in and apply one filter, that is equalize one band of the complete spectrum. That's rarely enough.
There's usually at least 2 points you'll want to apply a cut to, and maybe a boost. The BFD has something like 10 filters per channel (more than you'd need). I use 5 filters in my setup to kill some real nasty room interactions, and the level of precision on the BFD I found to be a good step up on these built in eq's.
But it's a great feature to throw on a sub amp. My only beef is that the amp could be $20 cheaper or something without it.

A parametric EQ lets you choose what frequency (or range of frequencies) you want to tackle and cut or boost, and then apply whatever level of EQ you need. A bit different than a graphic EQ which has pre-determined bands.

Here's a graph of my results and Woochifer's, before and after using the BFD...notice the huge difference in response. You wouldn't own a speaker with a +/-12 dB response, so why settle for a sub like that?

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=111511#post111511

GMichael
03-15-2006, 06:11 AM
Thanks Kex. That was very graphic.

I didn't know the sub's PEQ was only for one piont +/- roll off. I can see where that may be helpful but mostly not enough.

Thanks again

L.J.
03-15-2006, 06:37 AM
Hang on tight everyone. We're gonna watch JP3 tonight. Anyone who may need to take dump should go now before it's too late.

Yes, now we're talking. Something like this perhaps. Notice the wine glass, flying off the end table....

http://ars.maxell.com/Ars/Maxell_Logo/Chair_Man3.jpg

GMichael
03-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Yes, now we're talking. Something like this perhaps. Notice the wine glass, flying off the end table....

http://ars.maxell.com/Ars/Maxell_Logo/Chair_Man3.jpg

Oh yes, the old Maxell comercial. I remember when this first came out. Way cool. I think there is someone in the rave recording side that has this as his avitar.

JohnMichael
03-15-2006, 09:56 AM
That ad brings back memories. I still have the set of albums they released to show the quality of the sound using their tape products. If memory serves those speakers were JBL's used in the ad.

GMichael
03-15-2006, 10:54 AM
That ad brings back memories. I still have the set of albums they released to show the quality of the sound using their tape products. If memory serves those speakers were JBL's used in the ad.

I bet you're right. That was around the same time frame that JBL was in their hay day.