FSotD: Anything I say to you is gonna come out wrong anyway [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : FSotD: Anything I say to you is gonna come out wrong anyway

Davey
03-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Pinback's "Concrete Seconds" for me today. What a great song, really captures a feeling. Kind of an existentialist view on this one, the waiting and the inability to communicate, but she's always there. Those semingly endless "concrete seconds". Love their minimalist sense of style, and how smart they are. Not to mention, it's good music that seems to flow right into my ears and makes a biorhythmic connection with my sensory system :idea:

Sitting at a bus stop
Trying to take my shoes off
But my laces are all knots and you
Looking for an answer to an old question
So easy I can't explain it
Anything I say to you is gonna come out wrong anyway

Slosh
03-10-2006, 08:23 AM
That's a good one, Davey. Try mine:

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=23ULKSGHTEN872A2DWCEYE27A9

If this doesn't get your pulse rate up you must be dead.

Mike
03-10-2006, 08:36 AM
For me it's DCFC's Title and Registration

the glove compartment isn't accurately named
and everybody knows it.
so I'm proposing a swift orderly change.

cause behind its door there's nothing to keep my fingers warm
and all I find are souvenirs from better times
before the gleam of your taillights fading east
to find yourself a better life.

I was searching for some legal document
as the rain beat down on the hood
when I stumbled upon pictures I tried to forget
and that's how this idea was drilled into my head

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
03-10-2006, 08:37 AM
makes a biorhythmic connection with my sensory system

Oh c'mon. I think that's your cheesiest line yet. :rolleyes5:

I'm going with an old Canadian standard this week.....Little Bones by The Tragically Hip.

$2.50 for a hi-ball
And a buck and a half for a beer
Happy hour, happy hour,
Happy hour is here....

$2.50 for an eyeball
And a buck and a half for an ear
Happy hour, happy hour,
Happy hour is here

Davey
03-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Oh c'mon. I think that's your cheesiest line yet. :rolleyes5:
Au contraire, mon ami. You must not read many of my posts! You Canuckleheads know not of real cheese, except in your collective musical taste ;)

http://www.realcaliforniacheese.com/images/newNav/new_logo_lines.gif

ForeverAutumn
03-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Au contraire, mon ami. You must not read many of my posts!

Busted! :lol:

3-LockBox
03-10-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm going back 35 years....1971....Nine Feet Underground from Caravan's In The Land Of Grey And Pink. Its an unadulterated prog/jam-fest that clocks in just a little over 21 minutes long but never bogs down or gets boring. Just got through listening to it.

Hey, just trying to keep it real :rolleyes:

3LB

Slosh
03-10-2006, 04:21 PM
None more dead.

Might have to start posting over at obner even though it's full of jerk-offs.

Dusty Chalk
03-10-2006, 05:24 PM
That's a good one, Davey. Try mine:

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=23ULKSGHTEN872A2DWCEYE27A9

If this doesn't get your pulse rate up you must be dead.Hey, I really like that. Is the rest of the album that good? Yes, I've determined it's Tapes'n'Tapes -- I'll go back and see if I can find your posts on the subject, I seem to remember you street-teaming them for a phase.

unleasHell
03-10-2006, 10:17 PM
well I doubt anyone will have ever heard of this, but here I go anyway:

SONG: Le Monde Du Silence
ARTIST: The Revolutionary Army Of The Infant Jesus
CD RELEASE: The Gift of Tears/Mirror (Double CD)

This song is so bizare yet cool, imagine Dead Can Dance meets Enigma..

Snowbunny
03-11-2006, 07:38 AM
it snows, man, it SNOWS! :lol:

I'll Come Running

I'll find a place somewhere in the corner
I'm gonna waste the rest of my days
Just watching patiently from the window
Just waiting seasons change, some day
Oh, oh, my dreams will pull you through that garden gate.

I want to be the wandering sailor
We're silhouettes by the light of the moon
I sit playing solitaire by the window
Just waiting seasons change, ah, ah
You'll see, one day, these dreams will pull you through my door
And I'll come running to tie your shoe
And I'll come running to tie your shoe.

Friday was ALL-ENO ALL-DAY!

Davey
03-11-2006, 08:58 AM
And I'll come running to tie your shoe.

Friday was ALL-ENO ALL-DAY!
:) Did you play my Brian Eno Greatest Hits compilation? That caused me quite a dilemma when I made it, you know, pondering the age-old question of whether it is okay to strip the hot tracks from the original albums, or should they only be played as the artist intended since they're all so strong? I have the same problem when I do any of my modern rock comps too, like Foo Fighters or Goo Goo Dolls. Do you have the complete Another Green World? How much Eno do you have, Princess?

* you'll have to read the link (http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF92315.php) for the meaning behind the last bit ;)

I think you need a copy of 801 Live. They remastered it awhile back for Manzanera's own label but made a few errors and so are apparently gonna do it again, but this time with the care it deserves and are even asking for fans to help out with concert footage and the like. Most won't notice the problems, and the older remaster does have a couple extra tracks that shoulda been on the original, but they had to chop em for vinyl play time. Eno and Manzanera and friends.

801 Live
(1976)

Track listing

1. "Lagrima" (Manzanera)
2. "TNK (Tomorrow Never Knows)" (Lennon/McCartney - The Beatles)
3. "East of Asteroid" (Manzanera/MacCormick)
4. "Rongwrong" (Hayward - Quiet Sun)
5. "Sombre Reptiles" (Eno)
6. "Golden Hours" (Eno)
7. "Fat Lady of Limburg" (Eno)
8. "Baby's on Fire" (Eno)
9. "Diamond Head" (Manzanera)
10. "Miss Shapiro" (Manzanera/Eno)
11. "You Really Got Me" (R. Davies - The Kinks)
12. "Third Uncle" (Eno)

Personnel

* Phil Manzanera (guitar)
* Brian Eno (keyboards, synthesizers, guitar, and vocals)
* Bill MacCormick (bass and vocals)
* Simon Phillips (drums and rhythm generator)
* Francis Monkman Fender Rhodes piano and clavinet)
* Lloyd Watson (slide-guitar and vocals).

Maybe we should do a thread about songs that mention shoe laces and/or tying shoes? I can think of a couple more right off the tip of the vestigial point on the top of my little head.

Slosh
03-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Hey, I really like that. Is the rest of the album that good? Yes, I've determined it's Tapes'n'Tapes -- I'll go back and see if I can find your posts on the subject, I seem to remember you street-teaming them for a phase.Yeah, it's great but not all of the songs sound like that one. Actually, none of them really do. Some are pretty synth-heavy but guitar is always the main focal point. I ordered the CD last Saturday but it's still not here. I can ysi it when it arrives (in wma lossless or ALE) but if you want to hear more sooner I got the whole thing from Limewire.

NP: some dissolved mystery thingy

Snowbunny
03-11-2006, 11:07 AM
:) Did you play my Brian Eno Greatest Hits compilation? That caused me quite a dilemma when I made it, you know, pondering the age-old question of whether it is okay to strip the hot tracks from the original albums, or should they only be played as the artist intended since they're all so strong? I have the same problem when I do any of my modern rock comps too, like Foo Fighters or Goo Goo Doll.

Heheheheh. Good times. :)

Do you have the complete Another Green World? How much Eno do you have, Princess?

Just the comp you sent, Davey. I think its 74-78? There's no track list but that's okay, cause I'm doing the discovery process as I get to know the songs. I'm glad you resisted the temptation to put the "hits" on it.

Its funny that the song I know the best - Baby's on Fire - is the one that sounds the least like the rest.

Maybe we should do a thread about songs that mention shoe laces and/or tying shoes? I can think of a couple more right off the tip of the vestigial point on the top of my little head.

Heheheh... I challenge you to find even one more!

Snowbuns

Davey
03-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Well, there's the two in this thread already, and of course, Dylan's classic epic "Tangled Up In Blue", one with also a bit of that Samuel Beckett existentialism between the characters, like in my first pick.

Your turn ;)

Davey
03-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Well, there's the two in this thread already, and of course, Dylan's classic epic "Tangled Up In Blue", one with also a bit of that Samuel Beckett existentialism between the characters, like in my first pick.

Your turn ;)
No takers on a dead Saturday, eh? OK, I'll add another recent one from that great Abattoir Blues / The Lyre Of Orpheus double CD from those Bad Seeds guys. Called "Let the Bells Ring" and comes toward the end of the Abattoir disc, supposedly written as a tribute to the great late Johnny Cash ...

There are those of us not fit to tie
The laces of your shoes
Must remain behind to testify
Through an elementary blues
So, let's walk outside, the hour is late
Through your crumbs and scattered shells
Where the awed and the mediocre wait
Barely fit to ring the bells

Almost made another thread this morning about that great Songs:Ohia song with a similar theme, "Ring The Bell". Has some of that Nick Cave and the holy ghost feel to it. Especially toward the end where Jason sings about ...

I know that serpents will cross universes to circle around our necks
I know that hounds will cross a universe to circle around our feet
They're always close
Always so close
Step by step, one's beside me, to kill me or to guide me
Why wouldn't I be trying to figure which one out
Why wouldn't I be trying to figure which one out

Funny that we can't get any more chatter around here than this. Seems like a lot more people stop by than the meager number of posts would indicate, but how come none of them make any attempt to say anything. What's the point of visiting if you don't post something and at least say hi? Guess when it gets this bad, most people don't feel it's worth the trouble anymore.

Slosh
03-11-2006, 02:40 PM
No takers on a dead Saturday, eh?

Funny that we can't get any more chatter around here than this. Seems like a lot more people stop by than the meager number of posts would indicate, but how come none of them make any attempt to say anything. What's the point of visiting if you don't post something and at least say hi? Guess when it gets this bad, most people don't feel it's worth the trouble anymore.
Maybe they're all busy listening to the amazing song I posted :rolleyes:
Didja like it?

Davey
03-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Maybe they're all busy listening to the amazing song I posted :rolleyes:
Didja like it?
I only have dialup at home so don't download much here, and none at work, and I thought you had posted a big fat file, but now I see it was lossy so I'll go ahead and give it a try. It'll still take about 10 minutes, so keep your panties on.

EDIT: Ya, fun song. Listened a few times. Thanks. At first it seemed a bit over dramatic, but that feel mostly went away. Almost a touch of progginess to it in the middle, with kind of a Calexico meets Madness sound. Haven't read anything about them yet except from you, but haven't been paying much attention lately.

Slosh
03-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Haven't read anything about them yet except from you, but haven't been paying much attention lately.I don't think anyone pays attention to me.

Davey
03-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Do you have the complete Another Green World? How much Eno do you have, Princess?
Just the comp you sent, Davey. I think its 74-78? There's no track list but that's okay, cause I'm doing the discovery process as I get to know the songs.
Might be CD-TEXT on it. I made a few different versions, as I'm prone to do. The last people I gave copies to got a cover and everything. Your tracklist is probably almost like the one below, but likely there are differences. Glad you're enjoying it still, or finally, or however that worked out. I probably have more albums by or with Eno than anyone else. He's omnipresent in my music world. Well, maybe not omnipresent, but some word like that. You already knew that ;)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comp_images/eno7477.jpg

Davey
03-12-2006, 05:48 PM
I don't think anyone pays attention to me.
Poor, poor pitiful me
Poor, poor pitiful me

I met a girl at the Rainbow Bar
She asks me if I'd beat her
She took me back to the Hyatt House
I don't want to talk about it

Poor, poor pitiful me
Poor, poor pitiful me

Slosh
03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
oi oi oi
punky chips ahoy

Davey
03-13-2006, 04:06 PM
oi oi oi
punky chips ahoy
Sometimes I find you mildly amusing, but don't ask why. That commercial gives me a headache, but it's funny. You should make it your avatar :ciappa:

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/d/9/d979bc9019866aff15fbdd5b7e898abe.gif

Bernd
03-24-2006, 12:42 AM
My FSotD is:

" Mike Scott's" tune "Open" played by "the Waterboys" on their "Karma to Burn" release.

Peace

Bernd:yesnod:

Snowbunny
03-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Heart of Gold

I want to live,
I want to give
I’ve been a miner for a heart of gold.
It’s these expressions I never give
That keep me searching for a heart of gold
And I’m getting old.
Keeps me searching for a heart of gold
And I’m getting old.

I’ve been to hollywood
I’ve been to redwood
I crossed the ocean for a heart of gold
I’ve been in my mind, it’s such a fine line
That keeps me searching for a heart of gold
And I’m getting old.
Keeps me searching for a heart of gold
And I’m getting old.

Keep me searching for a heart of gold
You keep me searching for a heart of gold
And I’m getting old.
I’ve been a miner for a heart of gold.

Knocked off the CBC National Playlist today! :incazzato: (WTF is <--- incazzato?)