Center Speaker Questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Center Speaker Questions

EdwardGein
03-10-2006, 12:32 AM
As a result of my new speaker location set up, following the advice of various people here, I'm wondering if I need to either double the size & power of my center speaker or just increase the DB's for the one speaker. Specifically, my 3 front satellite speakers were originally on top of my 48" HDTV, equally spaced apart & about 2 feet over my head from my sitting position on the couch which people didn't think was the best thing to do for good audio quality. So I bought two expensive speaker stands which now made my satellite speakers all at the same height level except the center speaker. All 5 of my satellite speakers are the same size & power (Orb Mod 1 Speakers). For logistic reasons I still need to put the center speaker on top of my TV in the middle, and it is 3' higher then the other speakers. To get the best sound quality under this set up which option do you recommend: 1. Get a Mod 2 Orb Speaker which is just 2 Orb Mod 1 Speakers combined- twice as big with twice the power,2. do nothing, 3. Just increase the Dbs on my current center speaker. Getting the Mod 2 speaker isn't that expensive so money isn't a factor but overall sound quality is (Cds,TV & DVDS). The option to move the center speaker does not logistically work in my apartment & I also will not consider buying a NON Orb speaker for the center speaker. Any ideas/words of advice would be appreciated. Since I changed the locations of the speakers in regards to height & changed the speaker settings from small to large (which may not be technically right) my audio quality has significantly improved & is much better balanced.

musicman1999
03-10-2006, 04:24 AM
option 2

bil

N. Abstentia
03-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Well, it seems like everything you like is totally backwards from the way it's supposed to be (like your tiny 3" speakers sounding much better set to large, hearing a difference in optical cables) so why not try putting your center channel behind you facing the wall with a wet towel thrown over it? You'll probably love it.

Seriously though, if the center channel is 3' above the other speakers can you tilt it down towards your listening position?

shokhead
03-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Yep,just tilt to aim at your head. I used rubber door stops under mine to aim it at me.

noddin0ff
03-10-2006, 07:06 AM
To get the best sound quality, take some time to get used to the system, listen to it, think about what you would like to improve and go from there. If you've already achieved significant improvement with the relocation, why not enjoy it for a while?

L.J.
03-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Ed, both my systems have the center about 1 to 2' above my fronts. Many have no choice in this matter because most of the time your center should be right where your tv is. As suggested, try to aim your center speakers toward the listening position.

Also, I think you will notice an improvement by raising your surrounds, if possible.