Spark and smoke in my receiver - please help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums


View Full Version : Spark and smoke in my receiver - please help

TN Girl
03-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Tonight at 7pm, for the first time all day, I turned on our Marantz Receiver. As it was turned on, there was a "spark" sound, a flash of light, and subtle smoke in a very specific area on the top of the receiver. If you are looking down at the top of the receiver, it is in the upper right quadrant, slightly right and up from center. I shined a flashlight in the "grill" and it looked like several tiny gray wires were in the area of the spark.

The video signal was great, but there was absolutely NO audio - no tivo "bleeps," to TV audio, switching to DVD, CD and tuner - no sound.

FYI, it is now 10:30 at there is a faint "hum" of a fan sound that has been audible since this incident.

Any ideas? I'm clueless but my husband is pretty good with this. Is it fixable?

03-10-2006, 05:57 AM
I sounds like you've let all the smoke out. These receivers are engineered with only so much smoke and when it's gone, it's gone:-)

Seriously, since you don't have sound from any input you may have blown something in the pre-amp. Usually, if the problem was with the power supply or the outputs were blown the receiver wouldn't turn on. It's probably fixable, but depending on the age of the receiver it may be more cost effective to replace it.