Toshiba and Canon Announce SED Flat-Panel TVs Launch Plan [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba and Canon Announce SED Flat-Panel TVs Launch Plan

Geoffcin
03-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Toshiba Corporation and Canon Inc. today announced that they will start the first stage of mass production of SED panels in July 2007 and launch SED TVs in the 4Q of calendar year 2007. SED, the Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display, is a next-generation flat-panel display that offers excellent performance characteristics.

Full story;

http://www.physorg.com/news11551.html

Feanor
03-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Toshiba Corporation and Canon Inc. today announced that they will start the first stage of mass production of SED panels in July 2007 and launch SED TVs in the 4Q of calendar year 2007. SED, the Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display, is a next-generation flat-panel display that offers excellent performance characteristics.

Full story;

http://www.physorg.com/news11551.html

"Resist commoditization": that is to say, keep sales margins high. One wonders how much better it will be, really. :17:

Geoffcin
03-11-2006, 07:51 PM
"Resist commoditization": that is to say, keep sales margins high. One wonders how much better it will be, really. :17:

They can always dream.....

royphil345
03-11-2006, 11:40 PM
From what I've read... The picture quality will be more like plasma than LCD and it may be less costly to produce than LCD. IMHO, that's a real step up in technology.

wayner86
03-12-2006, 11:07 AM
I can't wait to see what this technology has to offer, from what i've read its its closely related to CRT's. Hopefully the gen 1's wont cost a mega fortune.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-12-2006, 02:00 PM
This is a technology (along with black LCD) that I have been keeping my eye on, and am VERY interested in. More so than even bluray or hd dvd. To finally be able to acheive all of the benefits of CRT's dynamic contrast and deep blacks over LCD and plasma, but have the thin qualities of LCD and plasma really piques my interest. If I don't go front projection before this product reaches the market I will definately look into purchasing this. Especially if they offer a 65+inch.

Blue1
03-25-2006, 01:11 AM
I managed to catch Canon's SED demo at CES-2006. Very Impressive! Far more shades of grey compared to plasma or LCD and extremely fast switching time compared to the current 8ms. LCD's. Very realistic color.

I don't quite understand what the delay is in manufacturing. What I saw was a fully functioning monitor(w/o a tuner), not a patched-together prototype like Westinghouse's ultra-high resolution Quad-HDTV panels.

This is truely the technology of the future, but I can't wait. Sony has just released info(goes on sale in May) a 46" silver version of their Bravia LCD HDTV's. Unfortunately, the new Silver series is a step-down from their XBR-Bravia LCD line. So when the 46" XBR model comes out I'll probably jump.