Need help from Von Bondies and White Stripes fans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help from Von Bondies and White Stripes fans

3db
03-09-2006, 09:54 AM
How do you rate in terms of recording qualitym Von Bondies "Pawnshop heart" to "lack of Communication" and the White Stripes "Get Behind Me Satan" do their eariler works. I find "Get Behind Me Satan" is lacking an openess as if being mufffled by a blanket over the speaker. Anyone else hear that?

nobody
03-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Don't know much about the Von Bondies, but the White Stripes recording quality is pretty much all over the place.

Elephant and White Blood cells are probably their most well produced in the traditional sense. Elephany may be the best, and if you like it analog, the vintage instruments and tube amps come across pretty well on the vinyl. Get Behind Me Satan is intentiionally lo fi...lots of distortion, but then it has a few crystal clear moments. Its the way tis supposed to sound...although I hear mixed reactions to it.

Before that, De Stijl was a very minimalistic recording. Just jack and meg with no funny business whatsoever, no reverb, no treated vocals...just raw music. Again, some people like it, some not. Personally, I like it and it's still the one I probably listen to most.

Their self-titled debut is just a typically underfunded murky mess of a recording. A few good songs and lots of high energy stuff make it a decent listen, but recording wise, its not really much to talk about.

My biggest disappointment about Get Behind Me Satan is no vinyl yet. The rest of their releases have all been on vinyl as well, and pretty well-distributed at that. I heard some talk of them wanting to rerecord the album for vinyl as a live in the studio kinda deal, but I guess that may or may not happen.

Oh yeah...and lets just take a moment and remember whats really important: Jack White kicked the crap out of the Von Bondies guy at The Majestic in Detroit. And, The White Stripes continue to kick The Von Bondies all over the place in regards to musical output as well.

3-LockBox
03-09-2006, 05:15 PM
How do you rate in terms of recording qualitym Von Bondies "Pawnshop heart" to "lack of Communication" and the White Stripes "Get Behind Me Satan" do their eariler works. I find "Get Behind Me Satan" is lacking an openess as if being mufffled by a blanket over the speaker. Anyone else hear that?

I can't speak for the Von Bondies but most all Jack White's albums are like that; it happens when he's trying to replicate that 'vintage sound'. Elephant is his most consistant in sound quality (if you can call it that) and in quality of writing as well.