Speaker Locations & Set Up Advice That You Might Not Be Aware Of [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Locations & Set Up Advice That You Might Not Be Aware Of

EdwardGein
03-08-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm negligent of my own advice on this board apparently. As I just changed the locations of some of my speakers, I needed to update some DVD settings as well as receiver settings.
Well I discovered, low and behold that my DVD settings apparently must have reset themselves to the machine default level or something when I unplugged the DVD player a few weeks back & I mean there were some drastic changes, i.e., the "small Speaker settings" were changed to "large", etc. I probably should have detected something was amiss when I had problems getting a widescreen DVD picture (it was reset to 4:3 instead of 16:9) but I though the DVD just wasn't widescreen format. Anyway, at least for my DVD player, apparently if I pull the plug out, it resets itself (same if there is a temporary power failure in my building). So, you may wish to check out your DVD and receiver settings each month to make sure there at the settings you intended.

I took the advice of various people on this board and changed my speaker set up by adding 2 speaker stands so all 4 of my speakers with the exception of the center speaker which logistically I couldn't change due to space limitations) are now at the same height level in regards to my ears- Before the front speakers were 3' higher then the rear speakers. As a result though, my front right speaker is only about 8" away from my sub and one foot above it. Is this OK? If not any suggestions appreciated. I just don't want to turn my living room upside down for this as again I have logistic restraints. Also in regards to the sub, right now it is facing straight into my couch without any obstructions. If I moved it a few feet then there would be a second coffee table about 5 feet in front of this. Would that
affect the accoustics or is 5 feet away a safe distance away and nothing will be blocked out? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

westcott
03-09-2006, 07:21 AM
You probably should have notices a change in sound with the improvements you have already made.

Here is a link that you may find interesting and helpful.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/index.php

Send us pictures or a link to photos and we may be able to help you further.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

musicman1999
03-09-2006, 08:10 AM
ed

try this with your sub.Move the sub to your seating position in place of your chair.Set something to play on repeat that has pretty strong bass,then walk around the room and listen to the difference in the bass.Some areas of the room will have weak bass,some strong.You should be able to find one spot with the best bass,not just in output,but in quality.It may well be close to a corner or along a wall.Hopefully it wont be in the center of the room.Try it you may be suprised.
bill