They are finally starting on my house!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : They are finally starting on my house!!!!!!

GMichael
03-08-2006, 04:11 PM
After signing our contract last July they are finally going to start on our new home. :arf:
The bank drug their feet until the end of November so it was too late to start last fall. I still say they knew interest rates were going up and that's why they were so slow. So now I get to pay them an extra $150 per month for holding me up.:incazzato:
But now the weather is breaking, and today they cleared the trees off the lot. Tomorrow they dig. Monday they start the foundation. Can't wait! Saturday we get to start picking colors.

This is great! We've been waiting for what seems like 4ever. That new HT room is on the way!

:5: :16: :12: :9: :7:

L.J.
03-08-2006, 05:55 PM
After signing our contract last July they are finally going to start on our new home. :arf:
The bank drug their feet until the end of November so it was too late to start last fall. I still say they knew interest rates were going up and that's why they were so slow. So now I get to pay them an extra $150 per month for holding me up.:incazzato:
But now the weather is breaking, and today they cleared the trees off the lot. Tomorrow they dig. Monday they start the foundation. Can't wait! Saturday we get to start picking colors.

This is great! We've been waiting for what seems like 4ever. That new HT room is on the way!

:5: :16: :12: :9: :7:

Cool GM!! How long before their done?

GMichael
03-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Cool GM!! How long before their done?

The builder "says" less than 6 months. Time will tell.:18:

PAT.P
03-08-2006, 08:59 PM
The builder "says" less than 6 months. Time will tell.:18:Sorry about the Bank and your extra $$$ on mortgage:incazzato: .Any picks on ground breaking ceremony?Keep us inform! :16:

Bernd
03-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Congratulations on the start. I wish you lot's of happiness in your new home.
Never trust a Bank. It's the bigest racket going. Strangley so, "Banker" rimes with something very similar!!!!
Good Luck and I would love to hear your progress.

Peace

Bernd:16:

GMichael
03-09-2006, 05:54 AM
Sorry about the Bank and your extra $$$ on mortgage:incazzato: .Any picks on ground breaking ceremony?Keep us inform! :16:

No ceremony. Just dig baby dig.

Thanks,
:ihih:

GMichael
03-09-2006, 05:56 AM
Congratulations on the start. I wish you lot's of happiness in your new home.
Never trust a Bank. It's the bigest racket going. Strangley so, "Banker" rimes with something very similar!!!!
Good Luck and I would love to hear your progress.

Peace

I can think of a few things that ryme with Banker. :cornut:

Thanks,
Hoping to get pictures of the dirt Saturday when we run out to pick colors.
:6:

kexodusc
03-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Congrats on the new home-to-be...My wife and I are already planning our next one, I'll probably start that when she gets back from Australia next spring (she's leaving me for 6 months :nonod: )

As for the HT room planning...I've got 2 words for ya - "Infinite Baffle".

GMichael
03-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Congrats on the new home-to-be...My wife and I are already planning our next one, I'll probably start that when she gets back from Australia next spring (she's leaving me for 6 months :nonod: )

As for the HT room planning...I've got 2 words for ya - "Infinite Baffle".

6 months? And I thought it was bad that mine is going for 1 month. Time to re-arange things?

Infinite baffle huh? Like a down firing sub from the attic? Hmmm... My wife would kill you.

kexodusc
03-09-2006, 08:00 AM
6 months? And I thought it was bad that mine is going for 1 month. Time to re-arange things?

Infinite baffle huh? Like a down firing sub from the attic? Hmmm... My wife would kill you.

It doesn't have to be an addict...just an adjacent room...far superior to any sub, sealed, ported or otherwise IMO. Good for music or HT. And fairly cheap if you do it right.

dean_martin
03-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Congrats to you and your family, GM! After 6 years in what was supposed to be a "temporary" residence (my parents' old house that I grew up in), we finally moved into a new home January of last year. We didn't build though, but it was only 2 years old.

You need to attach a bigger pic of that floor plan to a post or something. Man, I remember searching through tons of floor plans thinking we might build before we found our house. It almost became a past-time like listenening to music, reading the paper, etc.

It's funny that down here builders don't like starting projects in the spring because it gets so hot in the summer. We had a very mild winter this year. Our new neighbors started building in late fall and they're almost done.

GMichael
03-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Congrats to you and your family, GM! After 6 years in what was supposed to be a "temporary" residence (my parents' old house that I grew up in), we finally moved into a new home January of last year. We didn't build though, but it was only 2 years old.

You need to attach a bigger pic of that floor plan to a post or something. Man, I remember searching through tons of floor plans thinking we might build before we found our house. It almost became a past-time like listenening to music, reading the paper, etc.

It's funny that down here builders don't like starting projects in the spring because it gets so hot in the summer. We had a very mild winter this year. Our new neighbors started building in late fall and they're almost done.

Let's see if I remember how to attach a pic. This plan is actually slightly different than what we are getting. This was from a modular builder that we were going to go with before our current customer builder made us a better deal. 99.9% of it is the same though. It's still kinda plain and modular-like but it's what we could afford.

Oh cool, here's a copy of our actual plans as well.

GMichael
03-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Or maybe not. I don't seem to have a larger pic here at work. I'll try from home later.

Kam
03-09-2006, 09:40 AM
congrats!!! cant wait to see it come together and live vicariously through you! haha.

topspeed
03-09-2006, 11:46 AM
The builder "says" less than 6 months. Time will tell.:18:
Congrats GM. Building a home can be one of the most stressful things you'll go through, so my advice to drink heavily ;).

BTW, unless your builder is a tract builder like Centex or Lenar, I wouldn't plan on spending Halloween at your new abode. Either that or your market has tanked and the builders are sitting idle. Normally it takes 8mos-1yr depending on how custom it is.

Like I said, drink...a lot.

L.J.
03-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Don't worry GM!!!! I'll help you drink. As a matter of fact I'll get started right now!!!

:thumbsup:

GMichael
03-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Congrats GM. Building a home can be one of the most stressful things you'll go through, so my advice to drink heavily ;).

BTW, unless your builder is a tract builder like Centex or Lenar, I wouldn't plan on spending Halloween at your new abode. Either that or your market has tanked and the builders are sitting idle. Normally it takes 8mos-1yr depending on how custom it is.

Like I said, drink...a lot.

I'll need to drink a lot? I better start practicing tonight. Thanks for clueing me in on that.

It's not very custom at all. Very boxy. But it was in the budget. Next time we'll go for the special double delux with sprinkles and a cheery on top.

GMichael
03-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Don't worry GM!!!! I'll help you drink. As a matter of fact I'll get started right now!!!

:thumbsup:

Awwwwa.... What are friends for? But hey! Wait a minute. Don't you have a sub to finish? Come on man. Back to work. I wanna hear that new system from here.

GMichael
03-09-2006, 12:28 PM
congrats!!! cant wait to see it come together and live vicariously through you! haha.

You can come see it in person. We'll only be about 90 minutes away.

L.J.
03-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Awwwwa.... What are friends for? But hey! Wait a minute. Don't you have a sub to finish? Come on man. Back to work. I wanna hear that new system from here.

Finished!

GMichael
03-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Finished!

And? Well? Come on, how does it sound? Where's the update?

JohnMichael
03-09-2006, 02:38 PM
You're going to pick out your own colors? I had been in negotiations with the Fab Five to remodel. I was going to tag along. Oh well congrats on the house.

GMichael
03-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Or maybe not. I don't seem to have a larger pic here at work. I'll try from home later.

Let's try again. Here is the original modular before small changes.

GMichael
03-09-2006, 02:53 PM
You're going to pick out your own colors? I had been in negotiations with the Fab Five to remodel. I was going to tag along. Oh well congrats on the house.

We kinda have an idea of what we want already. But if you can be in PA by Saturday 3PM you are welcome to join us and put in your 2 cents.

GMichael
03-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Let's try again. Here is the original modular before small changes.

There will be a 2 car garage under the kitchen/dining/living room area. Basement under the rest of the rooms. (this is where the pool table will live & my 2 channel system will begin to grow) Then a 10' by 28' deck out the kitchen door. Full roof on that and completely closed in by sliding glass doors (minus a small section in the upper corner for the grill) The half wall between the kitchen & living room becomes a 1/4 wall with counter tops the other 1/4. The whole house will be 2 feet wider. The living room, master bath & master bedroom all get the extra 2 feet along that front wall. The living room will double as the HT room, getting darker colors.

More later. Time to drive home.

L.J.
03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
There will be a 2 car garage under the kitchen/dining/living room area. Basement under the rest of the rooms. (this is where the pool table will live & my 2 channel system will begin to grow) Then a 10' by 28' deck out the kitchen door. Full roof on that and completely closed in by sliding glass doors (minus a small section in the upper corner for the grill) The half wall between the kitchen & living room becomes a 1/4 wall with counter tops the other 1/4. The whole house will be 2 feet wider. The living room, master bath & master bedroom all get the extra 2 feet along that front wall. The living room will double as the HT room, getting darker colors.

Sounds nice. By the way, I started drinking for you. By the way, I started drink for you.

dean_martin
03-09-2006, 08:14 PM

Sounds cool! Basements are not very common down here. I may have known why at one time, but I can't remember. A basement seems like the perfect man lair for many manly things such as pool tables, beer, tube amps, beer, chick and movie posters and perhaps some beer although I'm sipping a glass of wine at the moment.

GMichael
03-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Sounds nice. By the way, I started drinking for you. By the way, I started drink for you.

Thanks, have another one for me. And while you're at it, pass me a cookie.

GMichael
03-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Sounds cool! Basements are not very common down here. I may have known why at one time, but I can't remember. A basement seems like the perfect man lair for many manly things such as pool tables, beer, tube amps, beer, chick and movie posters and perhaps some beer although I'm sipping a glass of wine at the moment.

Maybe something about the water table being one or two feet below the ground. Just a guess.
Yes, the basement is man's land. It starts off raw, but it will change over the years. On a side note, wifey is getting all new kitchen appliences, including a new fridge. Guess where the old one goes. There may be room in there for a beer or two. Just a couple steps from the pool table.

PARTY!
PARTY!
PARTY!

:5:

Bernd
03-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Sounds good. Any plans for a wild and crazy house warming party?
I agree with the drinking advice. Damn good advice. That reminds me this glass in front of me is empty and the weekend has begun. Have a great one and enjoy tomorrow.

Peace

Bernd:thumbsup:

GMichael
03-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Sounds good. Any plans for a wild and crazy house warming party?
I agree with the drinking advice. Damn good advice. That reminds me this glass in front of me is empty and the weekend has begun. Have a great one and enjoy tomorrow.

Peace

Bernd:thumbsup:

oh yeah. That goes without saying. Drinking advice? Put glass to lips before tipping?

Enjoy. The BOT is in full bloom.

Bernd
03-10-2006, 08:20 AM
No B.O.T. here. Winter has returned. Bloody hell.
Good to hear about the Party plans. If you need somebody to man the BBQ, I am your man.

bobsticks
03-10-2006, 09:05 AM
I can remember about ten years ago I bought my first house, what a feeling. At the time, I was travelling quite a bit for work( a couple hundred days a year ) and it got to be a bit much. Having always been a city boy at heart I've done the condo thing ever since. That having been said, this new hobby of mine has me definitely reconsidering for obvious reasons.
It sounds as though you have big plans for the place and I'm sure all will turn out as intended. Congrats!

GMichael
03-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks Bob. Yeah, nothing like your own house for HT.

Hey Bernd, I'll send you some sun. Plenty here. Looking at 60+ temps today.

I'll keep you all updated on the party.

GMichael
03-10-2006, 12:55 PM
"Well ya see, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Dont forget "HOT TUB " in basement for those wild parties!:ihih:

JohnMichael
03-10-2006, 01:09 PM
"Well ya see, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

After a few beers I also feel prettier.

GMichael
03-10-2006, 01:15 PM
After a few beers I also feel prettier.

Yeah well, uh. I'm not getting in the hot tub with you.

JohnMichael
03-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah well, uh. I'm not getting in the hot tub with you.

So few people will get in the hot tub with me. Maybe it's my snorkel.

GMichael
03-11-2006, 03:31 PM
So few people will get in the hot tub with me. Maybe it's my snorkel.

That, and you keep blowing Bubbles.

PAT.P
03-11-2006, 05:34 PM
That, and you keep blowing Bubbles.No bubbles in hot tub:ihih:

GMichael
03-12-2006, 05:57 AM
No bubbles in hot tub:ihih:

Bubbles are OK. Blowing bubbles is OK. Blowing Bubbles is not, well not OK while i'm in the tub.

JohnMichael
03-12-2006, 01:02 PM
That, and you keep blowing Bubbles.

I did not know Bubbles was back in town. Thanks

PAT.P
03-12-2006, 01:48 PM
I did not know Bubbles was back in town. ThanksShe back ,with a new act:ihih:

PAT.P
03-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Wonder if your going to invite this one in hot tub?What would your wife say?:ihih:

GMichael
03-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Wonder if your going to invite this one in hot tub?What would your wife say?:ihih:

She'd say, "I already warned her that I would chop her into tiny pieces like hamburger if she ever touched my man."

GMichael
03-13-2006, 09:35 AM
I did not know Bubbles was back in town. Thanks

So glad that someone picked up on that.

GMichael
03-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Here are the latest pics of my new HT room.
Wifey wasn't feeling well that day. Please excuse her unhappy expressions.

GMichael
03-13-2006, 09:43 AM
What went wrong?

Kam
03-13-2006, 09:47 AM
when you post more than one at a time in a thread, it lumps them together like that.

btw... that is a nice spot and the possibilities are limitless! :)

GMichael
03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks,
Yeah, time to change anything. At this point, the screen will be to the left, just a little past the end of the lumber. Still like the Sanyo Z4 at about 15 feet away. That way I can fill the 106" screen I am planning on and still go down to 73" for when I'm getting a non-HD signal.

PAT.P
03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Here are the latest pics of my new HT room.
Wifey wasn't feeling well that day. Please excuse her unhappy expressions.Think your wife wanted to keep those trees?:ihih:

GMichael
03-14-2006, 06:09 AM
Think your wife wanted to keep those trees?:ihih:

She was unhappy that they left the huge pine trees up. She hates the mess they make. Can't say that I blame her.

L.J.
03-14-2006, 06:16 AM
Are far away are the closest neighbors gonna be?

GMichael
03-14-2006, 06:27 AM
Are far away are the closest neighbors gonna be?

You wanna read that back to me please?

OK, so you mean, "how" far away? Only about 200 feet but trees split us up pretty good. No one can move in arcoss the street from me due to the pond there.
The town has a history of enjoying music so I shouldn't have any problems there. Altec Lansing is only about a mile away. The first time I visited there, there were bands in front of every house playing away. Some sort of celibration they have each year. I'll have to brush up and see if I can get in one for this summer.

L.J.
03-14-2006, 06:38 AM
You wanna read that back to me please?

I still need my first cup of coffee

Only about 200 feet but trees split us up pretty good.

200' Cool! You can have some wild parties or blast the hell outta your speakers. Nothing like LOTR at 2am. :3:

Bernd
03-14-2006, 06:48 AM
That looks a fine spot for your home. The hot tub sounds a splendid idea. I have one request though-No snorkels-please.

Still no B.O.T. here and winter has returned.

Good Luck

GMichael
03-14-2006, 06:59 AM
That looks a fine spot for your home. The hot tub sounds a splendid idea. I have one request though-No snorkels-please.

Still no B.O.T. here and winter has returned.

Good Luck

Thanks,
No hot tub in the plans yet. Maybe next year. No snorkels. Especially JohnMichael's snorkel. He doesn't even breath through his.

The BOT is up there right now. But temps are going to drop all day as winter makes a comeback here also.

dean_martin
03-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Hey, GM - that hardwood (invitation for many puns and jokes from the peanut gallery) should be worth something. My dad recently cleared a lot and paid the crew with the money he got for the lumber and had a little left over.

PAT.P
03-14-2006, 10:41 AM
She was unhappy that they left the huge pine trees up. She hates the mess they make. Can't say that I blame her.It look like a picture from the "Rain Forest"the wife all sad. How could,what about the "Woodpeckers" where are they going to go?

JohnMichael
03-14-2006, 10:59 AM
It look like a picture from the "Rain Forest"the wife all sad. How could,what about the "Woodpeckers" where are they going to go?

.......woodpeckers, I would worry more about splinters than my snorkel.

Sorry but I thought GMichael would expect the humor.

PAT.P
03-14-2006, 11:13 AM

Sorry but I thought GMichael would expect the humor.I rather have a splinter in my skin than a snorkel up my ....:ihih:

GMichael
03-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Hey, GM - that hardwood (invitation for many puns and jokes from the peanut gallery) should be worth something. My dad recently cleared a lot and paid the crew with the money he got for the lumber and had a little left over.

Yeah, Our builder has a buyer. The $$'s will go towards extras that we want.

GMichael
03-14-2006, 11:30 AM

Sorry but I thought GMichael would expect the humor.

Splinters in your snorkel?! Yeouch! How do you explain that to your significant other?

GMichael
03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
I rather have a slinter in my skin than a snorkel up my ....:ihih:

When in Rome....

PAT.P
03-14-2006, 12:02 PM
When in Rome....OOPS made a spelling mistake, splinter not slinter (cell) in Rome.:incazzato:

GooseWashington
03-04-2021, 01:10 AM
Wow that's cool! Hope you were able to build your dream house. I am also building a house now and we are already thinking about the design.

BillShiphr
03-04-2021, 07:44 AM
Never repeat my mistakes, guys. When I was thinking about an interior design of a house several years ago, I was trying to follow all the existed trends. Well, know it looks like a mix of everything. If I can pin a picture, I'll do that. Now It's time to redesign all the house and do it carefully. I think I'll order one of the modern rugs on https://www.dorisleslieblau.com/. And it will be the only bright item in my room. I am done with all those colors and patterns everywhere.

vickyi
07-02-2021, 12:25 AM
Great and as for me, I have been thinking a lot about adding a garden bridge to my backayrd, but I just don't know if it's a good idea or not. What is your opinion?

georgeeee
07-02-2021, 08:05 AM
Great and as for me, I have been thinking a lot about adding a garden bridge to my backayrd, but I just don't know if it's a good idea or not. What is your opinion?

Oh, personally, I believe that it's an awesome idea! But nevertheless you need to think about so many things such as length, material, style, etc.... By the way, here on https://mygardenzone.com/best-garden-bridge/ you may read an article about different variants of them and compare them there as well. I believe that all the advantages and disadvantages of each of them there will definitely help you.